• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What other altcoins are DRKcoiners into?

Protoshare / bitshares is interesting. Some real innovation there, but I'm not totally sold on the practical applications.

But small confession:
I mined about 2M Coinye coins when it first came out (before it collapsed). I don't know why... all the hubub just seemed hilarious.
same with me and Doge, it was stupid profitable for like a week, I made like $200 off a single radeon 7850 in a matter of days.

What's interesting about myriad? I've seen it mentioned somewhere before...

It's 5 algorithm but it's not a complex hash like X11 the 5 algorithms are split into semi-autonomous pools with their own difficulty. So theoretically you could get the same amount of coins on a CPU on a CPU only algorithm as a guy using an ASIC on another algorithm.

I'm currently mining Hirocoin because it is more profitable ATM. I mined scrypt coins before I came to DRK but my GPUs ran too hot and consumed too much power. Electriciy is expensive here in Germany.

I like NXT, Vert, and I have some BTC and LTC.

Will probably sell my LTC if it ever goes up again.

Also interested to learn more about Hirocoin and Myriad.

I have Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Darkcoin. I'm starting to lose faith in litecoin though, so I might just sell it.
I'm into Litecoin and Darkcoin only.

But I agree, Litecoin has a head start but not much to offer if they dont start moving soon.

Does anyone find Blackcoin intriguing?

I think it's an interesting idea. But I don't know how it will work out... I like the idea behind Anoncoin, too, but I don't know how well it will take off. Something to keep an eye on, though.

I think it's an interesting idea. But I don't know how it will work out... I like the idea behind Anoncoin, too, but I don't know how well it will take off. Something to keep an eye on, though.
What's the idea behind Anon? I thought it was just obtaining anonymity through a 3rd party

Typically when I'm not mining DarkCoin I'm mining bitcoin (via switch pools). I'm really interested in coins that offer some utility to the user, so I'm thinking about getting into MasterCoin, and am definitely planning to buy up some Ether when they open for business. Etherium is really exciting for a lot of different reasons.

Yeah I think it's way too early to say that any cryptocurrency is the standard. That would be like saying Webcrawler won internet search in the 90s. Plus I remain unconvinced that a single currency is necessarily the right fit for every user anyway. I think there is still great opportunity for things like Darkcoin to fit niches.
totally agree!

Anything in particular? I keep seeing its name floating around but don't really know anything about it.

I haven't had a chance to delve into the white paper yet, but the idea with Etherium is that it comes with a built-in programming language, so you can embed code into your coin, which in turn is embedded into the blockchain. That makes the coin incredibly versatile. For example, you can build in gambling, or bets on the future value of Ether vs. some other currency. They make a t-shirt with Namecoin implemented in just a few lines printed on the back. I'd strongly recommend checking out their website (if you don't feel like getting any work done for a while).

Etherium is also holding an open competition to help develop the hashing algorithm, but the idea is to use one which is so memory-intensive as to be virtually ASIC-proof. In fact the hope is that it should be very, very hard to mine efficiently even with GPU's.

There are a some other interesting things, but those are the big ones. Incidentally, Etherium is definitely not about privacy, so IMO it's not really in competition with DarkCoin.

^ I'm interested in it too, but understand very little. Have been trying to watch this youtube video but can hardly stomach his lisp and stutter, let's face it the kid's not exactly the most eloquent explainer.

And I sometimes think there project might be a little too ambitious or complex, but definately have to take a better look!

I haven't had a chance to delve into the white paper yet, but the idea with Etherium is that it comes with a built-in programming language, so you can embed code into your coin, which in turn is embedded into the blockchain. That makes the coin incredibly versatile. For example, you can build in gambling, or bets on the future value of Ether vs. some other currency. They make a t-shirt with Namecoin implemented in just a few lines printed on the back. I'd strongly recommend checking out their website (if you don't feel like getting any work done for a while).

Etherium is also holding an open competition to help develop the hashing algorithm, but the idea is to use one which is so memory-intensive as to be virtually ASIC-proof. In fact the hope is that it should be very, very hard to mine efficiently even with GPU's.

There are a some other interesting things, but those are the big ones. Incidentally, Etherium is definitely not about privacy, so IMO it's not really in competition with DarkCoin.
Hmmm intriguing, will have to check it out when I have a free moment. I could see it being both very powerful if done well but also easily exploited depending on how much latitude a programmer would have when adding code. I'm interested to see how they will keep transaction sizes on the blockchain reasonable if they allow that much customizing. Thanks for the introduction!

You bet! I agree, the biggest question in my mind is how they'll prevent massive blockchain bloat. Also, any contract related to something external (e.g. fiat currency values, who wins the world series, etc) is inherently vulnerable.

Back