• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode On Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

What are some other useful commands I can use to check my MN on the cmd-line in/on a "Linux system"???

./dashd masternode list | grep 'IP'
./dashd masternode '??something pose??' | grep 'IP'
./dashd getinfo
netstat -an | grep 9999

and what is the cmd: htop ?? I think it is
I think it shows running apps and CPU usage....
I need to: apt-get 'htop' but not working''

edit - found it: sudo apt-get install htop
(still learning :-D

edit - looks like the Raz Pi 2 b only uses a single core to process/run the MN so I'm gonna try: ./dash setgenerate true 3 for at least a day or so, along-side the MN - most likely won't hit a block since the hash only shows:

"hashespersec" : 4014

wow - that's tiny - lol

Last edited:
Somebody please tell me I'm wrong here...........................

The longer you leave your MN running - the MORE stable it becomes....

When I 1st setup my Pi w/ MN it seemed to run fine - cool - ports open on my personal ISP
But I went to bed......

Woke-up and found port 9999 CLOSED - I had 8 connections and when I input: netstat -an | grep 9999
I had 8 connections - PORT CLOSED ???
I had to go to work so there really was nothing I could do until I got home

In the left column of : netstat -an | grep 9999
I only had my personal IP listings with "other ports" listed as being connected to other IP's:9999

By the time I got home - port 9999 was OPEN - and there was no way I could make any changes from work - everything was AS IS - still

Running: netstat -an | grep 9999 - again
I had many more connections - very cool -

In the left column of : netstat -an | grep 9999
I had not only my personal IP listings with "other ports" listed as being connected to other IP's:9999 -
but now - my personal IP listings display my IP:9999, now connected to other IP:various port(s) and other IP's:9999

In my opinion - "Stability" of the DASH "system" - seems to come with time
I have a feeling that - IF - I had the day off from work - I might have "played/tried to fix" the whole MN system on my Rasp Pi when there was actually nothing wrong with the system in the first place

Like I said : "Stability" of the "system" - seems to come with time

With that said - if you follow "any guide" give your Pi/DASH/MN setup 24-48 hours to achieve "stability"

- lol - maybe I'm wrong - and - somebody was just ddos'ing me for a day-ish due to my NEW IP on the system

but - I wanted to share this experience because - you can't solve a problem if, you don't know, there every was a problem

I want somebody in THE KNOW to either Confirm or Deny my theory.

Personal experience is also wanted if you have, even vaguely, seen this happen

What you WANT to see is the result of "netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep 9999", if the IP(s) of your dashd are listed here you're fine and your dashd(s) are listening for requests from the outside world.

Whether or not other clients are able to connect to your dashd(s) is outside of the power of dashd itself and depends on your routing and/or firewall settings, so if the state changes from LISTEN to CLOSED there's most probably a network problem you have to fix.

As for your stability theory, I don't support that one :smile:
I have a Masternode or three and once they were configured correctly they started to listen and never stopped so far...

Indeed when i start dashd it just keeps on going. No worries for months now. Can your ISP close port 9999 because you are using too much bandwidth for their liking?

I got a super lazy script to check if you are running ok. It just spits out some commands. You can edit/add stuff to your liking but this is what i use atm:
---------------------------

#!/bin/sh
echo "****************************************************"
echo " "

./dashd getinfo

echo " "
echo " "

./dashd masternode debug

echo " "
echo " "

./dashd masternode list | grep YOURIPADDRESS

echo " "
echo " "

echo "count"
./dashd masternode count

echo " "
echo " "
echo "yes"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c YEA
echo " "
echo "no"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c NAY
echo " "
echo "not voted"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c ABSTAIN
echo " "
echo "you voted"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep YOURIPADDRESS

echo " "

---------------------------
Just type:
Nano check

then paste the lot. Save and make it executable. Ofcourse change YOURIPADDRESS to you IP.
Then at prompt type:

./check

and hey presto! statusupdate!

I want to setup a cron job on my Pi to restart on re/boot
but
I can't figure out the exact line I need

@reboot pi/home/.dash/./dashd -shrinkdebugfile

To start my wallet running I have to input ./dashd but the above line just doesn't look right to me

Thought's??

I LUV your nano check program
very nice

I changed it a bit
Here's my version

#!/bin/sh
echo "***START-OF-LINE************************************"
echo "***CHECK CONNECTIONS********************************"
netstat -an | grep 9999
echo " "
echo "***CHECK CONNECTION - LISTENING********************"
netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep 9999
ECHO " "
echo "***GET INFO*****************************************"
./dashd getinfo
echo " "
echo "***DEBUG********************************************"
./dashd masternode debug
echo " "
echo "***Should = ENABLED*********************************"
./dashd masternode list | grep Y.OU.R.IP
echo " "
echo "***ZERO is BEST SCORE*******************************"
./dashd masternode list pose | grep Y.OU.R.IP
echo " "
echo "Total MN Count"
./dashd masternode count
echo "***VOTES********************************************"
echo "YES"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c YEA
echo " "
echo "NO"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c NAY
echo " "
echo "Abstain"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep -c ABSTAIN
echo " "
echo "Your Vote"
./dashd masternode list votes | grep Y.OU.R.IP
echo "***END-OF-LINE**************************************"

Save as: check
Make executable: chmod +x ./check
To run: ./check

This makes my life so much easier - lol
THANK YOU !!!!

Last edited:
What you WANT to see is the result of "netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep 9999", if the IP(s) of your dashd are listed here you're fine and your dashd(s) are listening for requests from the outside world.

Whether or not other clients are able to connect to your dashd(s) is outside of the power of dashd itself and depends on your routing and/or firewall settings, so if the state changes from LISTEN to CLOSED there's most probably a network problem you have to fix.

As for your stability theory, I don't support that one :smile:
I have a Masternode or three and once they were configured correctly they started to listen and never stopped so far...

hummmm - it shows: 0.0.0.0:9999
Not my IP - hummmm

Still shows me ENABLED and 0
and I got paid so..... Figure I'm okay

Thoughts?

Nice change to the scrip. My version was put together in 2min. Yours seems more informative. May just change mine to yours eventually :)

There is also a script somewhere on the forum which checks if dashd is runnin every 5min or so. If not it starts it. Nice for if it has crashed. Didn't try yet though

Nice change to the scrip. My version was put together in 2min. Yours seems more informative. May just change mine to yours eventually :)

There is also a script somewhere on the forum which checks if dashd is runnin every 5min or so. If not it starts it. Nice for if it has crashed. Didn't try yet though

I tried to add eveything I can think of
After I looked at what you did and seen how it worked - changing it was easy - lol
Feel free to copy away - of course :-D

If you find that script that for restart would be great - please post here :-D
I'll be adding to the above as I come across more useful scripts
Life is a lot more simple with a couple [arrow ups] [enter]

Did you see my cron script above?
does look right to me - hummm

OH - DUH - lol
I don't need the cron
I'll just change the ./check - lol

add ./dashd -shrinkdebugfile to the very top

is there a way to add some kind of a time delay?
like 30 sec's
before it runs the rest of the ./check script?
hummm - maybe that won't work -

Thought's??

Hey MangledBlue,

After you start ./dashd you should wait some minutes so let is settle down. The startup takes some time on the Pi2. You can check with the command TOP. You see dashd in the list at CPU 100%. When its about 10% it should be running and you can run your ./check script. If you do it earlier it just spits out errors.

PS i found the script:

https://dashtalk.org/threads/auto-restart-the-masternode.3103/#post-31633

I didn't try it yet.

Ofcourse, rename darkcoind stuff to dashd etc.

Let me know if you need help - lol
It's pretty easy but time consuming - lol

The compile really does take 2 hours - lol

Finally made myself an account here on dashtalk, going to try setting up my first Masternode this and next week as soon as my Raspberry Pi 2 arrives. I could use all the help I can get.

My Computer Experience: Mac user. Sometimes I use a Parallels to run Windows on the mac laptop to play games. I have no experience in linux, no raspberry pi experience. I started watching raspberry pi tutorials on youtube to get more comfortable.

I noticed that this Raspberry Masternode guide is written for Windows users. My question: Should I try this tutorial in Windows or should I find a way to do it on my Mac. Or is that a bad idea, I don't want to lose 1,000 DASH for a stupid mistake.

What I bought so far:

- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU
- Raspberry Pi 2 Case
- Micro USB Power Supply Wall Charger AC Adapter 5V 2A 6.5Ft
- Ethernet Cable
- SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up to 48MB/s With Adapter
- GeauxRobot 3PCS Raspberry Pi Copper Cooling Heat Sinks

Do I need anything else?

The 1000 dash never leave your wallet so not to worry about that. You do need to have the 1000 on 1 wallet address.
The windows part of this tutorial is just the putty download and the location of you wallet datadir. The rest is all OS independent.

I'll check better when I'm home

Quick question: Say an accident were to happen to my masternode, like a fire/water spill, meaning it's totally destroyed. Would I be able to restore the masternode and the DASH from a backup?

I'd say - if we can find the time - that we do a google hangout when it comes time for him to setup the Pi
1 - could be fun
2 - everybody might learn something new

Quick question: Say an accident were to happen to my masternode, like a fire/water spill, meaning it's totally destroyed. Would I be able to restore the masternode and the DASH from a backup?

You could just have 2 mini-SD cards

One for use and then clone it to the spare and store it

If you have a fire or flood - you'll most likely be buying a new Pi - lol

Back