• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Announcing the Project Management and Delivery Excellence Initiative

Yes coingun. And what good posts they are too (I just reread them)!

There are many intelligent people here in this community. I think when people spend time articulating issues and putting forward ideas on how we could think about those issues to achieve an improvement, it does "get in" to people's overall comprehension. That's what makes being involved in Dash at this early stage so interesting and exciting; the opportunity to offer up insight and be heard.

It's a great initiative this.

I'm glad to see a positive attitude to this announcement. We strongly believe that the upcoming changes will benefit both the community and the team members.

I'd just like to ask for your patience - change takes time, and we have many items in the pipeline. We'll regularly update the community about our progress, and intend to make our activity as transparent as possible.

Also, while Scrum clearly has its benefits and - if properly implemented - can drastically improve productivity, please do not expect a transition to having daily standups overnight. Some part of the Scrum framework will definitely be included in the working model over time (e.g. a proper backlog), but some others might be suboptimal due to the open-source (volunteering) nature of the project.

I am sorry for off-topic, but does anyone know what self-improvement exactly is? Is it something like meditation and self-awareness?

Nothing fancy, I just love reading books like 1, 2, 3 instead of sci-fi or drama. Or basically anything that interests me from the Self-Help section of Amazon.

I'd just like to ask for your patience - change takes time, and we have many items in the pipeline. We'll regularly update the community about our progress, and intend to make our activity as transparent as possible.
Would you be able to elaborate on this a bit more, or is it too early ?

Yes coingun. And what good posts they are too (I just reread them)!

There are many intelligent people here in this community. I think when people spend time articulating issues and putting forward ideas on how we could think about those issues to achieve an improvement, it does "get in" to people's overall comprehension. That's what makes being involved in Dash at this early stage so interesting and exciting; the opportunity to offer up insight and be heard.

It's a great initiative this.
Thanks for taking the time to re-read them. I feel those three posts capture a lot that is wrong with the current state of affairs. It's funny that I have been one of the most vocal members of this community regarding this topic but was completely left out of the discussion around providing a solution. I've come to almost expect it from the track record of the project but it still is disappointing. To work months trying to point out flaws and ways to improve just to find out that your suggestions are being implemented but without inclusion.

If I remember correctly this is the same type of experience we put other dev's through that decided to then leave the project. Perhaps we want to learn from this mistake(s)?

I'm glad to see a positive attitude to this announcement. We strongly believe that the upcoming changes will benefit both the community and the team members.

Also, while Scrum clearly has its benefits and - if properly implemented - can drastically improve productivity, please do not expect a transition to having daily standups overnight. Some part of the Scrum framework will definitely be included in the working model over time (e.g. a proper backlog), but some others might be suboptimal due to the open-source (volunteering) nature of the project.

Nothing fancy, I just love reading books like 1, 2, 3 instead of sci-fi or drama. Or basically anything that interests me from the Self-Help section of Amazon.
Great to see someone stepping up. Hopefully actions will speak louder then words. It's great to use a bunch of fancy acronym's for fixing things up but the actual implementation will determine the success so it's nice to see you want to take your time.

Patience is something we have. After all every release is riddled with bugs and post release fixes. We all have patience but I'd rather it be for stuff like the IPO of our merged mined PoS coin that we use for improved liquidity rather then using it to update my masternodes 15 times on release day.

Great to see someone stepping up. Hopefully actions will speak louder then words. It's great to use a bunch of fancy acronym's for fixing things up but the actual implementation will determine the success so it's nice to see you want to take your time.

Patience is something we have. After all every release is riddled with bugs and post release fixes. We all have patience but I'd rather it be for stuff like the IPO of our merged mined PoS coin that we use for improved liquidity rather then using it to update my masternodes 15 times on release day.
They are looking for members of the team, so if you want to see your ideas implemented, you should get involved to ensure it's done right.

It is a bit ironic that the two team members that approached Evan with a solution weren't aware that you were working on proposing solutions as well. That's kind of the whole point and why something like this is needed! Going forward, you and the other folks interested in improving the project in this way will be able to find each other more easily in a structured way.

Any improvement idea will be taken into consideration.
coingun - feel free to share your additional suggestions (I have read your links carefully) in this topic or share them on Slack. We will be happy to work with you (and anyone else interested in making Dash professional IT project) on improvements and reasonable changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second what babygiraffe and kot said above. Do not feel left out - let us know how you can help, and be part of the execution.

I second what babygiraffe and kot said above. Do not feel left out - let us know how you can help, and be part of the execution.
Who can join your group and what to do? Could you elaborate or make a new thread with more info. Thanks. :)

Who can join your group and what to do? Could you elaborate or make a new thread with more info. Thanks. :)

As of now there is no framework in place facilitating community contributions - this is an important item on our to-do list. Once ready, there will be a separate thread created for it.

But even today, anyone's contribution is welcome. If you have identified an issue and know how to fix it, let's discuss it, and you can work on the proposal with us. As babygiraffe said: "if you want to see your ideas implemented, you should get involved to ensure it's done right." Raising questions alone doesn't really help at this point (this will change later), execution is needed at the same time.

Issues that we as a software project need to address:
  • Consolidation and identification of all digital assets(s) - identify all services provided to the network by both community members and by the core team. It seems to me we have a lot of community members providing base services that people depend on. It would be nice to know that we have a disaster recovery plan for all those services to return online. (dashninja, block explorers, faucets, websites, dnsseeds, etc).
  • Define and commit to using software development roadmap/best practices - this roadmap should include a defined release schedule. The schedule should be followed to the best of the ability of the dev's so that masternode owners can expect when they will need to do updates and prepare accordingly. We should document from the last commit all the way to the push of the download. Best practices mean defining where our source code is, how we expect people to contribute, what we need help with. We have done a real poor job of maintaining the fluidity of our github repo's. I've had lots of people confused as to where all our utilities are and which ones are the valid ones. This leads us into the next issue. Defining how we expect dev's to help and where will help get more people involved.
  • Define and commit to using an official announcement space/page/blog - I want to see a clearly defined spot that the community can expect to get the actual facts regarding an issue, a discussion, a potential vote. Nobody in their right mind is going to read pages of drivel to find the nuggest's of actual info. I don't mind that the majority of hte dicussion goes on in dct forums but after the issue has been discussed we need to be going behind sifting through the thread and actually posting the relevant links to an official space. Not to BCT not to DCT to a well defined and known spot (cause having this inside the wallet seems illogical?).
  • Stop making the same mistakes. When we do document them so that our side is officially represented - Pretty simple. When we make them learn from them. Talk about them (on our official channel) and correct them. This apply's to how we handle dev's, how we disseminate new info, the project continues to become more powerful as we continue to make less mistakes. Mistakes have been powerful and also very well looked at. I think it would be beneficial to have an official place where we also talk about each of these mistakes we have made and how we have learned from them. I'd like to see info about the "insta mine", info about early stages of darksend, god people still jump into irc and ask if we have open sourced our code because all white papers and such referring to the opensource code all refer to the old github that no longer exists. I think it would be powerful if the community could hear both sides of all of these mistakes. Show them we are transparent and that we are a growing and learning community.

Issues that we as a software project need to address:
  • Consolidation and identification of all digital assets(s) - identify all services provided to the network by both community members and by the core team. It seems to me we have a lot of community members providing base services that people depend on. It would be nice to know that we have a disaster recovery plan for all those services to return online. (dashninja, block explorers, faucets, websites, dnsseeds, etc).
  • Define and commit to using software development roadmap/best practices - this roadmap should include a defined release schedule. The schedule should be followed to the best of the ability of the dev's so that masternode owners can expect when they will need to do updates and prepare accordingly. We should document from the last commit all the way to the push of the download. Best practices mean defining where our source code is, how we expect people to contribute, what we need help with. We have done a real poor job of maintaining the fluidity of our github repo's. I've had lots of people confused as to where all our utilities are and which ones are the valid ones. This leads us into the next issue. Defining how we expect dev's to help and where will help get more people involved.
  • Define and commit to using an official announcement space/page/blog - I want to see a clearly defined spot that the community can expect to get the actual facts regarding an issue, a discussion, a potential vote. Nobody in their right mind is going to read pages of drivel to find the nuggest's of actual info. I don't mind that the majority of hte dicussion goes on in dct forums but after the issue has been discussed we need to be going behind sifting through the thread and actually posting the relevant links to an official space. Not to BCT not to DCT to a well defined and known spot (cause having this inside the wallet seems illogical?).
  • Stop making the same mistakes. When we do document them so that our side is officially represented - Pretty simple. When we make them learn from them. Talk about them (on our official channel) and correct them. This apply's to how we handle dev's, how we disseminate new info, the project continues to become more powerful as we continue to make less mistakes. Mistakes have been powerful and also very well looked at. I think it would be beneficial to have an official place where we also talk about each of these mistakes we have made and how we have learned from them. I'd like to see info about the "insta mine", info about early stages of darksend, god people still jump into irc and ask if we have open sourced our code because all white papers and such referring to the opensource code all refer to the old github that no longer exists. I think it would be powerful if the community could hear both sides of all of these mistakes. Show them we are transparent and that we are a growing and learning community.

Thank you for the feedback. All 4 concerns are valid, and should definitely be improved. The first one was missing from our list, but is definitely a good addition. 2, 3, and 4 were identified by us as well, it's good to know that others find them critical too.

Not much movement around here. Time for a bump. Surely someone else has thought of something else that needs to be addressed.

I'll chuck this one out there too. I think it is completely ridiculous what we have done in regards to trying to bury the Darkcoin roots of this project. It seems as if there was almost an attempt to bury all old links to things that were Darkcoin. The biggest place this is glaringly obvious for me is in the github history. We haven't done anything to maintain any sort of archival integrity for it's original home. Not to mention when the entire git got migrated we ended up back as a branch of Litecoin instead of a direct descendant of bitcoin? Did anyone ever validate the work done actually merging it. I know there are a lot of github master's out there and I'd be curious of their opinion on how we went about doing this migration. What could have been handled better?

There is a lot of SEO that only points to the older Darkcoin pieces and basically none of that has been kept functioning. We threw it out with the bath water. Why? Why not maintain redirect links or at least some verbiage regarding where it's all gone?

Edit: Someone came into irc the other day asking if darkcoin had open sourced it's code. Since all the links and media regarding open source point back to the old links to the darkcoin source it was very confusing for this person to find where everything had gone. This is just one example.

Should probably add migration of the Darkcoin foundation to the dash foundation to the list. Seems like the actual foundation is the one thing Darkcoin we haven't successfully buried.

Very valid points coingun - thank you for them.
I have noted all of them to our long task list :). We will address those issues as soon as possible (sooner than later).

More for the list:

• Fix all broken links on main dashpay.io site.
  • Fix whatever certificate error is causing the binaries to require a --no-check-certificate flag when wgetting
  • Proper code signing certificates so that our binaries aren't showing up on windows and mac as suspect spyware requiring over-rides to run

coingun - added to the list.
I really appreciate what you are doing here, in this thread - this all works in our favor and will help us to make Dash better and better crypto-currency.

Would you be so kind and send me more details on PM about the 2 last issues from the list above? Thanks in advance

One thing you could do is invite me to the slack group. That seems to have gotten missed.

One thing you could do is invite me to the slack group. That seems to have gotten missed.

The problem with Slack is that it's a already a bit overcrowded. The free version is only 10k messages, and that is already show to be extremely low for dev work. ex; I was only invited about a month ago to assist with the animated video. It's quieter than in outer space over there, only active relevant group chats see any action, and they're hidden from general view, so there is only really the #general topic where everyone "meets" ... but, like I said, nothing really goes on in there.

Sure would be cool for one of the big whales to donate to the cause, say, by funding Slack to it's fullest for a while...

The problem with Slack is that it's a already a bit overcrowded. The free version is only 10k messages, and that is already show to be extremely low for dev work. ex; I was only invited about a month ago to assist with the animated video. It's quieter than in outer space over there, only active relevant group chats see any action, and they're hidden from general view, so there is only really the #general topic where everyone "meets" ... but, like I said, nothing really goes on in there.

Sure would be cool for one of the big whales to donate to the cause, say, by funding Slack to it's fullest for a while...

Know about this issue, and I can assure you we will find a way to solve it one way or another - but not just yes, other things have higher priority. Definitely no need to ask for donations for it now.

Back