• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

I'm sorry, but I just can't see how a name change, something discussed for a YEAR, is 1. so shocking and 2. changes anything important about Darkcoin?

We have had so much negative feedback regarding our name, Darkcoin. Andreas Antonopoulos talks about Darkcoin as if it's threatening, dark and scary. It can't shake it's nefarious undertones. This puts us in a VERY limited niche market. This was never my hopes for this coin.

A name change can only move us forward. If the name is so important that people would rather this fantastic project - with so much to give the world - should languish rather than flourish under a "cool" name, well then I give up. And I wouldn't blame Evan for giving up either. Why put your whole being and all your efforts into something you had hoped would change the world, when your very supporters want to marginalize your project?

Well hello there name change? I haven't heard any official news at all that we needed a name-change? On every channel I lurk there wasn't an info about this other than in the official announcements that popped into my RSS feeder a few days ago, so how exactly is this being discussed for a year Tante?

It was never in the interest of the community to have sudden changes emposed on them like in the current financial system, or am I wrong? Did such steps taken by the governing authorities not ruin enough coins already? (Vericoin rollback to name a good example).

This is a HUGE move for DRK to change it's entire entity and seeing how supposedly Evan has already signed deals and contracts for dash, how can this help DRK in any way, shape or form?

You might have just as well folded the only escape route DRK would have had in the future, which is the Anonymity that speaks for itself, DARKcoin namely :)
Anyways, I personally as a member of this community do not agree that a name change will move us any closer to any goal that was openly discussed than before, come what may in the future, DRK was always the 1st anonymity coin people went to, this might very well change in the future due to poor exposure or sacrifices.

All the best,
Vya

Well hello there name change? I haven't heard any official news at all that we needed a name-change? On every channel I lurk there wasn't an info about this other than in the official announcements that popped into my RSS feeder a few days ago, so how exactly is this being discussed for a year Tante?

It was never in the interest of the community to have sudden changes emposed on them like in the current financial system, or am I wrong? Did such steps taken by the governing authorities not ruin enough coins already? (Vericoin rollback to name a good example).

This is a HUGE move for DRK to change it's entire entity and seeing how supposedly Evan has already signed deals and contracts for dash, how can this help DRK in any way, shape or form?

You might have just as well folded the only escape route DRK would have had in the future, which is the Anonymity that speaks for itself, DARKcoin namely :)
Anyways, I personally as a member of this community do not agree that a name change will move us any closer to any goal that was openly discussed than before, come what may in the future, DRK was always the 1st anonymity coin people went to, this might very well change in the future due to poor exposure or sacrifices.

All the best,
Vya

Bitcoin is the number one coin for anonymity (with mixer service) by 100 miles, darkcoin hardly penetrated darknet, just like it hardly penetrated any merchants or businesses (although the tech is way better for Dark obviously) - like Evan and many merchants here said, the name is unfriendly and they not interested. Darkcoin has only been successful with core of investors not anywhere in the market. That's where DASH aka digital cash comes in :D

Sir... A rebrand must happen. Read any of my previous posts as to why this should have happened long ago... Back in Feb/Mar of last year....even.

Edit: Some of the greatest brands are simple names

Apple
VISA
FIAT
RAM
to name a few....

You are late to the thread. I already switched sides. Nice try.

Rebranding Followup
I could get on board with the name I think after that argument but I have one question--is DRK moving to be more centralized or decentralized? I'm confused.

Good argument. You finally won me there.

Bitcoin is the number one coin for anonymity (with mixer service) by 100 miles, darkcoin hardly penetrated darknet, just like it hardly penetrated any merchants or businesses - like Evan and many merchants here said, the name is unfriendly and they not interested. Darkcoin has only been successful with core of investors not anywhere in the market. That's where DASH or digital cash comes in :D

Well, I beg to differ, one market has already invited DRK in and I think it's only the beginning of everything, why change for the sake of some quick buck when the long term goal is what really counts?

Anyways, I learned very early that discussing such things with authorities NEVER works, so I for one, will be trashing my 2 Bitkee DRK Storages and throw them away and sell my DRK for some genuine coin that respects the people and their voice in a fair and democratic way instead of just being all childish and doing whatever a single individual pleases to do.

The cool thing about the Crypto-Space is that you don't need to stay, I wish we would have the same options in the current fiat market :D

See you on the other side,
Vya

Well, I beg to differ, one market has already invited DRK in and I think it's only the beginning of everything, why change for the sake of some quick buck when the long term goal is what really counts?

Anyways, I learned very early that discussing such things with authorities NEVER works, so I for one, will be trashing my 2 Bitkee DRK Storages and throw them away and sell my DRK for some genuine coin that respects the people and their voice in a fair and democratic way instead of just being all childish and doing whatever a single individual pleases to do.

The cool thing about the Crypto-Space is that you don't need to stay, I wish we would have the same options in the current fiat market :D

See you on the other side,
Vya

I would urge you to sleep on it a few days and read all the comments as to why this is beneficial, we all love Dark and its a big step but theres a lot more going on here than changing a name, this is about how the tech can enter the market and deliver anonymity and what experience the team have had trying to do that with the current name and how we can make it better

Anyways, I learned very early that discussing such things with authorities NEVER works, so I for one, will be trashing my 2 Bitkee DRK Storages and throw them away and sell my DRK for some genuine coin that respects the people and their voice in a fair and democratic way instead of just being all childish
Vya

Actually your knee-jerk reaction is childish and without trying to have a discussion you ensure your defeat.

dazbarldy over at BCTtalk took some (very slight) suggestions from me. What do you think of this?

Inverted C, with the morse code screaming financial SOS, at the same time like a smoke trail from the speed of IX

I think the concept is becoming magical.

oysXHLL.jpg
This is what I was saying earlier. At first it's sort of blah. Then you think about it, and the more you think about it, the more sense it makes.

Digital Cash
Implies speed (InstantX)
Easy to say & remember
Innocuous enough for mainstreaming

Apple Pay, Mega, Square, Yelp, Nest, Uber - huge brands with boring names. I'll say it again, sentimentality is getting in the way of good sense here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually your knee-jerk reaction is childish and without trying to have a discussion you ensure your defeat.

I wouldn't call my reaction knee-jerk but rather just a genuine disapproval of how this entire scenario was handled. First of all, where is a genuine vote that the majority of stakeholders want to have a name-change? Then we could actually move on and discuss a name change officially. Instead, you hear from all kinds of different sources what is happening and this is very chaotic and doesn't help to find out what actually happened when you only have a few minutes per day to check the crypto-space, its outright wrong to pursue a discussion when all you hear from the official channel is that it has been discussed (I think yidakee already voiced his concern about this) and I for one, do not have the time for such drama and therefore stick to the roots of my own love that I share for cryptocurrencies and their democratic, decentralized and fair nature :)

Anything else is a waste of time :) Abuse of Power happens once, it happens ALL the time, history always repeats itself with power-hungry people!

All the best,
Vya

i dont think it's important because dashcoin has like $0.03 volume per day

I guess not everyone has had a chance a to read the 5000 posts of this discussion, but Evan bought Dashcoin(DSH) and the rights to "Dashcoin". Just like you would buy an existing domain, and there will be no more development on that project. We just bought it for the name, and to make sure we had prior art when we do trademarks and such.

I guess not everyone has had a chance a to read the 5000 posts of this discussion, but Evan bought Dashcoin(DSH) and the rights to "Dashcoin". Just like you would buy an existing domain, and there will be no more development on that project. We just bought it for the name, and to make just we had prior art when we do trademarks and such.

sorry, I missed that. nice to know things were tidied up. The name DASH definitely grows on you, v exciting, thanks.

I guess not everyone has had a chance a to read the 5000 posts of this discussion, but Evan bought Dashcoin(DSH) and the rights to "Dashcoin". Just like you would buy an existing domain, and there will be no more development on that project. We just bought it for the name, and to make sure we had prior art when we do trademarks and such.

But Dashcoin will be chopped to just DASH for us, right?

DASH sounds bad. I can't just go to people and ask "Do you accept dash?" They will think I am on drugs or something.

eMoney is probably one of the best choices.

Back