• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to just follow up with the rebranding discussion that the community has been having since I posted yesterday and clarify some misconceptions that are going around in the community.

First thing is, the name change isn’t final. We’re opening this up to discussion by the community, the only thing that’s known at this time is the name “Darkcoin” has some negative perception by businesses we’ve reached out to. They’ve said, it’s not the privacy centric nature of the product, but the name that is unfortunate.

The name “Dash” was recommended by the community some time ago. We picked up on that and the foundation began investigating the use of it and found a trademark application. The whole reason we’ve acquired the rights, was not because the decision was final, but because we need to challenge that trademark application to even be able to use the name, otherwise it’s a complete non-starter.

We’re absolutely open to everyone’s input and always have been. We would like this process to be 100% transparent as possible. In the community supports it, I would support hiring a firm to handle the rebranding for us. We could allow the firm to engage directly and transparently with the community, then have foundation members vote on the final decision.

Originally when the community started talking about rebranding months ago, we also began talking about it internally. It’s obvious that we missed something in the process and I’d also like to apologize on behalf of myself and the foundation’s board for this.

Please talk directly to the developers / main contributors evan. It would be terrible to lose key members due to this miscommunication.
Please also learn from the effects of the communication mistake. I could name 3-4 things that were executed improperly.

Sounds good. Now kiss and make up with vertoe because he is a very valuable asset to this community and project.

Please talk directly to the developers / main contributors evan. It would be terrible to lose key members due to this miscommunication.
Please also learn from the effects of the communication mistake. I could name 3-4 things that were executed improperly.

Name them then. How can he learn from mistakes if he doesn't know what mistakes he made?

We will absolutely learn from this. If you could detail those 3-4 things it would be great.

Name them then. How can he learn from mistakes if he doesn't know what mistakes he made?

Just from the top of my head
1: Not involving developers in the decision
2: Not communicating clearly if the decision is final, or is yet to be discussed. Leaving investors uncertain is never a good idea.
3: Announcing a possible huge breakthrough together with the name change. Nobody cares about that part of the announcement as the focus is on the branding.

Just from the top of my head
1: Not involving developers in the decision
2: Not communicating clearly if the decision is final, or is yet to be discussed. Leaving investors uncertain is never a good idea.
3: Announcing a possible huge breakthrough together with the name change. Nobody cares about that part of the announcement as the focus is on the branding.
Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

First thing is, the name change isn’t final. We’re opening this up to discussion by the community, the only thing that’s known at this time is the name “Darkcoin” has some negative perception by businesses we’ve reached out to. They’ve said, it’s not the privacy centric nature of the product, but the name that is unfortunate.

Thanks for follow up , can understand many people ( mee too ) finally got used to DRK.
could you be more specific about the businesses you reached out to if you can ? , as a pure follower these kind of projects stay in the "dark" for us.

I agree. Most members won't care about name change. However they for sure care about Evan's scalability change. I think it deserves a seperate thread but what is done is done.

Thanks for follow up , can understand many people ( mee too ) finally got used to DRK.
could you be more specific about the businesses you reached out to if you can ? , as a pure follower these kind of projects stay in the "dark" for us.
Some big payment processor and exchanges we have approached have repeatedly complained about the name. This doesn't mean they will adopt us straight away, but we would be making it easier for them.

Digital-cash with ticker DRK. Just get away from "darkcoin" and call it "digitalCash" from now on. DASH is not a good name.
As much as i hate to admit it, I think a name change is necessary and this is the time to do it.

We’re absolutely open to everyone’s input and always have been. We would like this process to be 100% transparent as possible. In the community supports it, I would support hiring a firm to handle the rebranding for us. We could allow the firm to engage directly and transparently with the community, then have foundation members vote on the final decision.

4: Please specify how the community can take part in this decision. It would be also great to set some deadlines. This could be organized by the prominent figures of the foundation.
Currently all we know is that we can participate, and people are flooding various forums with their idea. Or we can simply call it chaos :D

I think Darkcoin owes too much to its name to be changed. Actually, it's even questionable could it be here where it is without such a good name. Fuck them! Don't change anything!

4: Please specify how the community can take part in this decision. It would be also great to set some deadlines. This could be organized by the prominent figures of the foundation.
Currently all we know is that we can participate, and people are flooding various forums with their idea. Or we can simply call it chaos :D

Right now, it is obviously a chaos. This has gone faster than expected, but let us think about a better process to involve everyone. Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks Evan for this new posting.

No decision pleases everyone, and whatever name gets chosen some will like and dislike.

The underlying tech is awesome, and that's what we should be concentrating on.

I agree a rebranding will help us achieve the goal of wider adoption, and more people using the anonymity that Darkcoin/DASH/whatever has.

Wasn't that always the goal?

People are also starting to calm down, from what I can tell.

We will absolutely learn from this. If you could detail those 3-4 things it would be great.

Main thing to me is it was "discussed internally".

I'm one of the oldest general members, part of the extended team and foundation member and *wham* I just got hit with the news. Why?

Its like there is a second tiers already in place, but in decision making. I totally understand "I talked with fernando 'cos he's a lawyer" .. or " had a google hang out with people of expertise" ... but "discussed internally" ... like out of the public ledger? kinda like DarkDecision?

I hated DASH when it hit he, now its growing, and 100% understand the motivation. I agree with it!!

I'm more for libertarianism than subversion, no question.

The conflict is the place Darkcoin has for me... being totally out of the loop out of such a big thing. And so many others too.
Big money guys in the clearly in the "loop", while I'm just used as forum monkey that serves for(as) testing and communal purpose. That offends me.

I'm seriously considering resigning entirely and keep watching in the sidelines. This was highly unethical and not in line of what I could expect of a crypto.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 duffs from me, I'd like to know how bad an idea this is :tongue:

What do you all think? Don't change Darkcoin, just rebrand it in an acronym It stays Darkcoin, but mostly becomes known like so:

Darkcoin InstantX and darkSend Coin = DISC

This way we can keep our logos

Back