• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

I literally just moved onto this coin a few days ago and already have done that much without having ever posted here. Don't question my devotion to any cause I believe in simply because of the account being new. I've been watching DRK since it's beginnings but I was already invested in other projects which I've since left. I did no development work for them but simply invested/mined and supported and contributed, but I left when I felt it was time for me to. If you don't give a shit about me simply because I'm new, then thank you. That makes me feel welcomed.

I literally just moved onto this coin a few days ago and already have done that much without having ever posted here. Don't question my devotion to any cause I believe in simply because of the account being new. I've been watching DRK since it's beginnings but I was already invested in other projects which I've since left. I did no development work for them but simply invested/mined and supported and contributed, but I left when I felt it was time for me to. If you don't give a shit about me simply because I'm new, then thank you. That makes me feel welcomed.
Easy chief, no one is ripping on you because you are new--I'm certainly not. But coming into the project and already making the stance that changing the name will kill the coin really doesn't do anything to those of us that have been here since the beginning having watched the development progress and Darkcoin turn into something special.

I have one last thing to say, the main argument I have heard against Dash is that it is a bland name. I think the people that feel this way are completely missing the point. We should with go with DASH precisely because it is a bland name, so we can build a strong brand out of it. Name != Brand

The problem with Darkcoin as a name is precisely that it is too explicit the name suggests a meaning and detracts from the brand, when the project adds other aspects to it that are not the ones explicitly described by the name. Take important examples in crypto: Circle and Square. They can be developed into great brands in crypto because the names do not suggest any meaning so in the crypto context Circle and Square just acquire the ideals associated with those companies. I am sure if Evan came up with the name Triangle people would be going crazy.

Another good example is Apple, some people might say, but Apple is a huge company, again missing the point. When Apple was back at the garage and Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs decided to call their new company like the fruit, apple was not yet Apple. Meaning the ideals, you have learn to associate with that brand, great design, user friendliness, good quality, were not present back at the garage, it was just a "bland" name. This property of blandness allowed it to develop into a brand.

Also, the "blandness" of the name, I really see it as flexibility of the brand and it is very important. You have to be capable of abstract thinking and projecting yourself into the future, back when Steve Jobs named Apple, apple, he was only thinking about computers not iPods, iPhones or iPads. Fortunately, their brand is flexible enough. Back when Evan named Darkcoin, darkcoin, he was not thinking about InstantX, scalability or decentralized applications and services that is why we need to change, we need something more flexible as we don't know what will come later.

Same thing applies to Dash, if Circle and Square work, Dash can work too, and if we work very hard, one day people will associate, privacy, freedom, transparency, great technology, decentralization with our brand. Brands take time and hard work to develop, so instead of fighting about a perfectly good name, we should think of ways we can project ideals that reflect the true essence of our project into our new brand. Dash will be great, in time.

And Vertoe leaving if it was about the darkmarkets is pretty foolish if that was in fact the case. Even with a rebrand to appeal to a larger demographic, Vertoe could easily work on increasing DM adoption. Further, DM's in general aren't going to care what the name is as long as the underlying technology still provided the same base-case privacy they have came to expect with Darkcoin.

The funniest thing is... DarkMarkets also don't want to use anonymous coin with "Dark" name! :grin::grin::grin:
They do not want to attract unwanted attention.

They want anonymous digital cash with "white" name and with lots of legal users - so they can safely lost among them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one last thing to say, the main argument I have heard against Dash is that it is a bland name. I think the people that feel this way are completely missing the point. We should with go with DASH precisely because it is a bland name, so we can build a strong brand out of it. Name != Brand
Also, the "blandness" of the name, I really see it as flexibility of the brand and it is very important. You have to be capable of abstract thinking and projecting yourself into the future, back when Steve Jobs name Apple, apple, he was only thinking about computers not iPods, iPhones or iPads. Fortunately, their brand is flexible enough. Back when Evan named Darkcoin, darkcoin, he was not thinking about InstantX, scalability or decentralized applications and services that is why we need to change, we need something more flexible as we don't know what will come later.

Same thing applies to Dash, if Circle and Square work, Dash can work too, and if we work very hard, one day people will associate, privacy, freedom, transparency, great technology, decentralization with our brand. Brands take time and hard work to develop, so instead of fighting about a perfectly good name, we should think of ways we can project ideals that reflect the true essence of our project into our new brand. Dash will be great, in time.

I could get on board with the name I think after that argument but I have one question--is DRK moving to be more centralized or decentralized? I'm confused.

The funniest thing is... DarkMarkets also don't want to use anonymous coin with "Dark" name! :grin::grin::grin:
They do not want to attract unwanted attention.

They want anonymous digital cash with "white" name and with lots of legal users - so they can safely lost among them!

Good argument. You finally won me there.

I could get on board with the name I think after that argument but I have one question--is DRK moving to be more centralized or decentralized? I'm confused.

The only thing changing is the name, DRK is going seriously into decentralized trust-less, services and applications. Many applications, that is why we need a more flexible name.

The only thing changing is the name, DRK is going seriously into decentralized trust-less, services and applications. Many applications, that is why we need a more flexible name.

I'd be happy to assist in these endeavors if it is at the very least spreading the word. I personally will miss the DarkCoin name, but arguments to make it appealing to other users certainly has advantages to even those favoring the anonymity the DarkCoin name suggested as
...They want anonymous digital cash with "white" name and with lots of legal users - so they can safely lost among them!

Win-Win for both sides I see it as now.

Ok, so let's go with DASH and have a plugin wallet skin for that retro Darkcoin look. Keep the nostalgia as an option, and get the best of both worlds. :)

Edit: and make the skin an obscure download (e.g. maybe something you have to compile) so we don't scare off orphans and widows.

Ok, so let's go with DASH and have a plugin wallet skin for that retro Darkcoin look. Keep the nostalgia as an option, and get the best of both worlds. :)
I like this idea, but it'd need extra testing to ensure no security hole was made. I'd hate to introduce a backdoor that some asshat hacker could steal coins off the network.

Ha!! cracked it. how do you like this?

DASH - Decentralised Anonymous Secured Humanity

Now aint that clean, yet bold and empowering ? :cool: - Yup, thats is definitely my proposition!

Edit: and make the skin an obscure download (e.g. maybe something you have to compile) so we don't scare off orphans and widows.
I even jokingly suggested a commandline feature (most likely undocumented) titled -legacymode for those that wish to keep the Darkcoin love on their own client ends.

What a great conversation on the last couple of pages.. THANK you everyone.

DASH is a perfectly boring not very used word for us to take it and make it into common word like cash!!

But lets be clear.. this is now Digital-Cash == dash. please do NOT call it dashcoin. lets purposely leave the coin part of the word out of all documentation and such.

DASH is a perfectly boring not very used word for us to take it and make it into common word like cash!!

But lets be clear.. this is now Digital-Cash == dash. please do NOT call it dashcoin. lets purposely leave the coin part of the word out of all documentation and such.
Digital Cash - DASH - Decentralised Anonymity Securing Humanity ?

Don't worry, it was communicated explicitly that "coin" won't be included in the new name, no matter what it will be.

Yes, I would never be a fan of appending the "coin" to it. Loses much of its utility.

Great points from Minotaur and alex-ru have just about won me over as well.. I love the simple "digital cash" logo from the other day, but this one with the morse code is clever
I thought we could do better, but after messing around DASH has started to grow on me.

AbRiR4t.jpg

Morse code of the left,

D -..
A .-
S ...
H ....

I had a few others, but this was prob my fav. Not sure about the morse code, but I liked the idea of dashdotproduct

Dash.IX
Dash.DS etc etc

Is it safe to say that DASH will be an acronym thus giving it the catchy yet boring name and description of use.

Yes, I would never be a fan of appending the "coin" to it. Loses much of its utility.

If a name change is inevitable, then dropping -coin is surely a more professional sounding brand. I cannot think of one bank, for instance, with the name "coin" in it. I think that must be for a reason that marketers may know more about. Brands certainly do not always have names that make you know what it's about. Target rarely sells targets for shooting.

Back