• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Will mining Dash become profitable again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well anyone can argue its currently profitable now if you are mining in China or Ireland. We have to define profitability then. Long term, it doesn't matter what price it is, it will always be unprofitable for small time miners who arent in cheap electricity areas of the world.

I say this because we have to consider continued increase in mining hashrate, people who are holding D3s and recently turned them off turning them back on, and any future ASIC creations later on adding to the network. A similar 3 month dump of ASICs by Bitmain would again increase difficulty by x30.

Short term, it would need to increase fourfold to ~$2500 to return half of what Bitcoin is offering, and ~$5000 for it to constitute any meaningful returns compared to Bitcoin in the next few months with current difficulty and ASIC dump.

Could you please tell us what part of the code that refers to mining would you like to vote the number?

Well, I certainly wouldn't invest in that kind of coin. I'm pretty sure many others wouldn't either.
You are welcome to make one, of course. Then see how it would fare.

And you will stay in old Dash, where all stake holders, miners and new generation left?
Will your investment be safe, in that case?
You, the spies, and the advertisers who are telling lies? Is this a safe investment?

And you will stay in old Dash, where all stake holders, miners and new generation left?
Will your investment be safe, in that case?
I got into Dash because I like how it works now.
So yes, I would stay in the "old" Dash.

I don't get the "undercirculated" argument. Cryptocurrencies are highly divisible. There is no lack of currency for anyone that wants to buy it.

The undercirculated argument is economics 101 - there is no incentive to spend and circulate the currency at any point - regardless of its divisiveness which, by the way, is why the US has a hard on for being the only currency to trade oil with around the world.

There is only incentive to buy, not sell, and because of that it doesnt create a two-way venue for DASH to be properly vetted as a currency and its usefulness to investors. It's just something anyone knowing what deflationary currencies do would think, and I understand that it can be used with any cryptocurrency out there, but the systems you currently have now make it all the more obvious. At least speculative investors (which all currency traders are) have a slingshot of hope for everyone to win if they invest in more liquid markets.

I think that is achievable in the next 5-6 months, maybe even sooner.

I have no doubts that as soon as this over-exuberance is over with Bitcoin, everyone will hedge it to DASH just as they have done many times before, and the price point may make this a profitable venture, but at the same time, I'm thinking in terms of long term sustainability. All that's required to shoot down this is another ASIC dump in the market. The way that difficulty is calculated is just far too quick in comparison to other coins. If DASH had as many miners as Bitcoin did, it would need to be worth ~$60,000(x4 Bitcoin's price) to attract a mining community as dominant as Bitcoin.

Could you please tell us what part of the code that refers to mining would you like to vote the number?

When I created the model, it was based off of a linear formula using every day of DASH difficulty increase/decrease coupled with its hashrate increase (information available on coinmarketcap) to determine my coefficient. No code. But if the developers want a VERY specific solution that involves changing the part of the code that governs difficulty, sure I'll go find it and give them a more proper code :)

I have no doubts that as soon as this over-exuberance is over with Bitcoin, everyone will hedge it to DASH just as they have done many times before, and the price point may make this a profitable venture, but at the same time, I'm thinking in terms of long term sustainability. All that's required to shoot down this is another ASIC dump in the market. The way that difficulty is calculated is just far too quick in comparison to other coins. If DASH had as many miners as Bitcoin did, it would need to be worth ~$60,000(x4 Bitcoin's price) to attract a mining community as dominant as Bitcoin.
Personally, I think Bitcoin has too many miners right now. Bitcoin mining uses as much electricity as a small sized european country.
We don't really need more hashing power at the moment.
Also, any ASIC dump would not work, as nobody would buy them with the current profitability.

If the miners, the stake holders and the new generation leaves, then Dash will not work as it works now.
It will be the hanging garden
Why would the stake holders leave if the Dash value stays strong?
If 90% of miners would leave, Dash would still function normally, so that's not really an issue.

Why would the stake holders leave if the Dash value stays strong?
How can Dash value remain strong, if there is no community to support it?
And why the stake holders and the fresh Dash generation to remain in old Dash, being the slaves of the MNOs, instead of going to the new Dash, get voting rights and become free?
Who prefers slavery from freedom?

Last edited:
Personally, I think Bitcoin has too many miners right now. Bitcoin mining uses as much electricity as a small sized european country.
We don't really need more hashing power at the moment.
Also, any ASIC dump would not work, as nobody would buy them with the current profitability.

They would when the DASH price increases once more to profitable levels. And yeah, maybe Bitcoin miners has TOO many miners... that could be a counterpoint to attract more people into the network, but it also guarantees the decentralized distribution of the network - the whole purpose of cryptocurrencies. I think we can pitch the environmental position when that becomes an underpinning issue which, currently, it has not. Maybe thats just cause everyones milking the profits.

How can Dash value remain strong, if there is no community to support it?
And why stake holders remain in old Dash, being the slaves of the MNOs instead of going to the new Dash, get voting rights and become free?
Who prefers slavery from freedom?
They will stay if they see a healthy development and rising of the value of their holdings.
Why would they want to be poor? Also, they are already free. Free to go to some other cryptocurrency if they like it better.
Dash is not a democracy. It's a corporation.

They will stay if they see a healthy development and raising of the value of their holdings.
Why would they want to be poor? Also, they are already free. Free to go to some other cryptocurrency if they like it better.
Dash is not a democracy. It's a corporation.

Now you're getting to the disillusionment of a governance structure has attracted all these supporters but ultimately fucks them over :). Exactly what we're saying lol.

And isn't the point of being an MNO is that you see future prospect for the currency, and increased interest into joining it? Theoretically, one would dump the MNO if the support and tech go somewhere else, as they will attract the required volumes that made the MNO option attractive to begin with.

Exactly. I could sell my MNO and join some other crypto, if I think it has a better future than Dash. But I don't see any at the moment, so I stay.

Exactly. I could sell my MNO and join some other crypto, if I think it has a better future than Dash. But I don't see any at the moment, so I stay.

No, youre not in because of the future of DASH, youre in because of the future of holding an MNO. The future of DASH will, at best, show short term promise with the introduction of DASH evolution and then slowly die as the lightning network catches up to speed an surpasses it. Your short term profits is what keeps you from dumping the 1000 DASH, specifically, the 3000 a month you earn for about maybe 50 dollars of maintenance into the network.

The only good investment on a DASH network is a masternode, it would seem. No holders, no business, no mining community can change that, and it is precisely for this reason that DASH will die. It isnt until everyone is holding more than 70% of the currency in MNOs that you will realize how dumb the whole system is.

But do you think Dash is perfect?
If not, then is it a wise tactic to wait for this perfect coin to arrive from the sky.
Isnt better to help built in it?

No, youre not in because of the future of DASH, youre in because of the future of holding an MNO. The future of DASH will, at best, show short term promise with the introduction of DASH evolution and then slowly die as the lightning network catches up to speed an surpasses it. Your short term profits is what keeps you from dumping the 1000 DASH, specifically, the 3000 a month you earn for about maybe 50 dollars of maintenance into the network.

The only good investment on a DASH network is a masternode, it would seem. No holders, no business, no mining community can change that, and it is precisely for this reason that DASH will die. It isnt until everyone is holding all of the currency in MNOs that you will realize how dumb the whole system is.

If you think it's such a sweethart deal for the Masternodes, why don't you buy a masternode, or a share of a masternode. You too could get in on the crazy good deal.

And if miners are abandoning Dash, why is the hash rate staying so high?

Does anybody here know where I can solo mine Dash coin? I love to take my chances rather than get paid 4 or negative return from the pool.
Perhaps software I can buy for solo mining Dash?

If you think it's such a sweethart deal for the Masternodes, why don't you buy a masternode, or a share of a masternode. You too could get in on the crazy good deal.

I've already detailed this, but theres no way I'm buying into an artificially inflated cryptocurrency with no promise of increased traffic or interested and meaningful miners/transactors on the network. I would buy into CannabisCoin before I bought 1 DASH.

Your short term profits is what keeps you from dumping the 1000 DASH, specifically, the 3000 a month you earn for about maybe 50 dollars of maintenance into the network.

That is correct. MNOs are short term investors who only care about their ROI. They do not really care about the Dash community, thats why their governance sucks.
Why MNOs earn 3000 a month for about 50 dollars of network maintenance. This is yet another number that should be voted.

We should built a formula for the ROI of the MNOs, based on the average cost of network maintenance. Why miners have a (difficulty) formula, while MNOs ROI is difficulty free?

Last edited:

The only good investment on a DASH network is a masternode, it would seem. No holders, no business, no mining community can change that, and it is precisely for this reason that DASH will die. It isnt until everyone is holding more than 70% of the currency in MNOs that you will realize how dumb the whole system is.
Why would I risk my investment by conciously making bad decisions for the future of the network?
It seems to me that you are the one that wanted to make a quick profit, because you don't really seem to believe in Dash.

Personally, I don't like lightning networks. It involves third parties and settles transactions outside of the main blockchain.
I get how it can be useful for micro payments, but we can implement this in the MNO network, no need for outside players.

But do you think Dash is perfect?
If not, then is it a wise tactic to wait for this perfect coin to arrive from the sky.
Isnt better to help built in it?
No, Dash is not perfect. But I think it's on the right path to become very good and as an MNO I get to help build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back