• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

We need Merchants USING Dash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just as soon see DASH get away from any sort of credit card functions in exchange for P2P activity.
Of course many of us in the business world use credit cards and pay the 4% because it seems to be a necessary evil, and we would all like to avoid it !

It seems their purpose is to further entrench clients into the banking system.

And the credit cards providers will be quite pleased to implement block chain tech to speed things, only to reap more profit for themselves !

I am becoming aware there is a growing number of crypto tokens with a sole purpose of assisting banks. Ripples XRP, and Factoms FCT are among them.
More recently I learned a token called Stellar STR has a purpose of bringing banking to under-developed geo-political areas.
.... To what end? Bring them under the mantle of the IMF ?

Santander is said to have an Ethereum option available to clients...

It would be my preference to see people Un-banked, as much as possible !

IMO, best option to promote DASH would be to offer something you produce in exchange for DASH.
Next on the list, or concurently, is the need for easily accessible fiat gateways.

That bit of ranting aside, there is SO much I do not understand. Perhaps I am incorrect.

Best
rc

We have a woocommerce plugin, but it is based on Electrum so doesn't have instantx. But anything purchased via the internet can probably just use Bitcoin and wait an hour or two for a confirmation. Coinbase and Bitpay make that easy anyway.

So the best adoption case is with in person point of sale with IS detection. Vending machines are also a good use case, hence the www.dashndrink.com. ATMs could be good too, but only if they are Dash-Into-Cash versions with IS detection.

I would just as soon see DASH get away from any sort of credit card functions in exchange for P2P activity.
Of course many of us in the business world use credit cards and pay the 4% because it seems to be a necessary evil, and we would all like to avoid it !

It seems their purpose is to further entrench clients into the banking system.

And the credit cards providers will be quite pleased to implement block chain tech to speed things, only to reap more profit for themselves !

I am becoming aware there is a growing number of crypto tokens with a sole purpose of assisting banks. Ripples XRP, and Factoms FCT are among them.
More recently I learned a token called Stellar STR has a purpose of bringing banking to under-developed geo-political areas.
.... To what end? Bring them under the mantle of the IMF ?

Santander is said to have an Ethereum option available to clients...

It would be my preference to see people Un-banked, as much as possible !

IMO, best option to promote DASH would be to offer something you produce in exchange for DASH.
Next on the list, or concurently, is the need for easily accessible fiat gateways.

That bit of ranting aside, there is SO much I do not understand. Perhaps I am incorrect.

Best
rc

Morning, RC. V. few people on Planet Krypto 'get me.' I'm a technoklutz who came to cryptos from thirty years in libertarian/anarchist politics. For me, it's the politics and the anthropology.
So indeed I understand your perspective: cryptos should be opposed to not integrated with the legacy model.

'Loops': my little offering this morning is the idea of 'micro-trading loops.' [Check out a crypto called 'BGCaffe']
If I sell vegies for DASH, and the guy who receives that DASH can spend it at the shop across the road, and the shop owner can buy bullion with DASH (from a local -- like me -- who keeps a stock of bullion, and sells it non-profit), and the bullion guy will pay me DASH for vegies? Loop!

Setting up such a loop is unprofitable and time-consuming; but it's the form of mass-adoption that would leave the legacy banking model stranded high and dry. [The key will be 'mentoring.' Please feel free to ask.]

Mark

That's why (RC and indiamikezulu) I propose a simple app to draw "free merchants" in. Give them something EASY to use that helps their little booth, something they never bothered with because it was 1. too expensive to get such an app, and 2. too complex for them to deal with. These people are creators, shop owners, sales persons, movers (moving shop from place to place) They are NOT the type of people to understand complex programs!!

Give them a nice simple app that simplifies and organizes their sales and expenses and makes checking out easy (super easy, cash or Dash) and one other option of "other" if they accept credit cards - hand input.

Now, by using this app, they automatically accept Dash

This ground floor approach is IMO the best way to get average people to start using Dash!

If there are any programmers here that are interested in taking on such a project, I'll do all I can to promote you and your work!!!

Do any merchants realistically want to accept and hold a volatile crypto as payment for their goods or services?

That sounds like a really bad business decision.

Merchants want the currency of their respective country. They pay tax, labour, and suppliers in that currency.

In my view, Dash offers merchants a new way to transact FIAT at lower costs than some traditional credit card suppliers. Thats the real prize on offer: The Payments industry.

Dash can't compete if it uses a bunch of 3rd parties, Banks will do a much better job once they are on a blockchain.

I think you're wrong here. The original Bitcoin vision was to replace fiat, but that is a difficult job. However, I don't think it's an impossible job! Attacking the problem from both sides is optimal. However, nobody is attacking the problem from the common folk perspective.

It's not just 1st world countries, like the US, Canada and Europe that have tiny vendors, people who could really use Instant Send on their side, but every shop owner practically in any "3rd tier economy country" I hate using those terms, and am unaware if they have been dubbed non-PC, so forgive me as I don't mean to offend. But places like Mexico are FULL of small shops based in booths, tons of them. Heck, downtown Los Angeles is full of them. Warehouse transformed into malls that resemble those in Mexico with hundreds of vendors in each, row by row of buildings along a street, it's really quite amazing. Don't have to go to Mexico at all to see it!

If these people give discounts for cash and Dash, people will slowly purchase Dash to spend at these places. (and who wants to carry cash?) Then when they take their friends to shop, they'll say, "hey- you really should get some Dash before we go, you get great discounts then!" and Dash use will spread! Because once people have some Dash, other, bigger merchants will become interested in accepting Dash. This will of course take years, but seriously! You gotta start somewhere and this is the end where we can reach Users and Merchants at a grass roots level.

Sure, Paypal had the funds to give away 20 dollars to each person that signed up, but it was still a very small start. Look where they are today. All based on little merchants selling on ebay! And they still corner the market!

Gee, TanteStephana, this is a breath of fresh air. I will have to figure out the app thing, but us IndiaMikeZulu guys have devved on a lot of coins in three years, and never found genuine interest in 'small time' stuff (or any dev stuff at, truth be known).

Mark

Mark? I thought you'd be Mike? LOL. Anyways, well yah! I know the core team hope for a top down approach, I just don't see why we can't have a bottom up approach as well, and meet somewhere in the middle! Dash as it is right now, not even with Evolution, is already a great tool for just about anyone, and I know that if we build something, it should later be hooked up with Evolution, but if Evolution will take another year, well, we should get started on this ASAP.

Would there be a way of having sub wallet apps that act as personal cash registers for all waiter staff or check out persons so they can use there personal phones but only have the ability to except payments and give refunds (with approval from the main store wallet)? This could be used for multiple business models. This would lower start up costs and maintenance.

Are you thinking about tips?

I mean, I don't know of any restaurant that doesn't have a central pay station, even when the waiter takes your CC, they take it to the "register"??

For tips, I would think that a waiter/server could actually have their personal bar code displayed, and the customer would have ultimate control once again on tipping large, small or non-existant based on service provided. And the customer could do it to multiple people according to who served them. You could have an app that calculates % and auto pay with a scan anonymously as you walk out the door. Just enter your total, then scan and press 1%, 3%, 5% etc... :D Damn I wish I could code!

I could see waiters having their QR code printed on their aprons :)

Mark? I thought you'd be Mike? LOL. Anyways, well yah! I know the core team hope for a top down approach, I just don't see why we can't have a bottom up approach as well, and meet somewhere in the middle! Dash as it is right now, not even with Evolution, is already a great tool for just about anyone, and I know that if we build something, it should later be hooked up with Evolution, but if Evolution will take another year, well, we should get started on this ASAP.

Combination-top-down-and-bottom-up is fine.

And if anyone knows this produce -- https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22655/59332/ -- and wants to stir the possum, I'll pay all costs, in DASH, to anyone who can mail one bottle to me here in Western Australia.

Uno Chick says, 'Stir the possum? Let's do it!' http://imgur.com/a/VaoU1

OK, if anyone ever had doubts about grass roots movements, the American election should remove all doubts! Hillary spent 5X more money on the election than Trump, yet Trump won. Now I didn't like either choice much, though I'll admit I hated Hillary more, but Trump definitely had the grass roots support, and overcame the Clinton machine. That's a pretty powerful message there and exactly why we need to start wooing the foundation, the simplest and most personal level. Please, help me do this everyone!

I havent finish the thread but here is my input in the matter of what we can do today:
- Research: the current state of POS systems, market leaders, open source alternatives, extensibility, new software coming up.
- Third party services vs embeded services, services like Blockpay is a third party service which do the proces on their centralized servers (think shapeshift). Embeded services are extensions that host the wallet internally and can process transactions (think Jaxx for Chrome).

We have two type of systems, one is the POS, which is an indepdendent piece of software that can be used regardless of the backoffice system. (Think Vendo, Bindo, TouchBistro, ShopKeep).
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2955-best-pos-systems.html

Then we have ERP, which are the backoffice system, integrated POS into a larger system that covers everything from accounting to inventory, to payroll, to timeslots for the worker cafeteria.
Here is Odoo, OpenBravo, OpenXpertia, SAP, Oracle Retail Xstore, etc.
FLOSS and Proprietary:
http://www.enterpriseappstoday.com/erp/slideshows/ten-open-source-erp-options.html
http://erp.softwareinsider.com/

Open Source vs Propetary software.
Most SAP are open to integration but is really expensive, from development to expertise, to complexity. POS systems are slim and easy to tweak and are extensible enough to add features to it, like multi-currency and add new ones depending on the market.

Independent core
Unfortunately these systems vary too much to be able to have one code tree to satisfy all the different platforms. Different languages and such. Althought communication through RPC should be somewhat simple and supported on every language and instructions such as Instandsend communication could be abstracted from the implementation, specially thanks to the port of the bitcore module into Dash.

FIAT Reliability
As far as I know the biggest obstacle of retail is to have 'instant fiat' but this might not be necesarily the case in the long term. Specially with the appreciation of the crypto payment. The biggest risk come from declaring income,a nd using fiat for accounting/fiscal porpouses. Here is when I said "I am not an accountant... but", there is also a growing demand for crypto accounting.
http://www.coindesk.com/libratax-bitcoin-accounting-software-nears-launch/
https://tapeke.com/
There is even a course on Udemy for Accountants:
https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-for-accountants/

Techncially adding an auto-fiat will take us back to a third party service, specially since is the only way that it can insure the liquidity needed to process the transactions realtime. Not to mention the volume. Also fees might come into play since doing item per item transactions might make very large and expensive small ammount transactions.

Hardware support
Most wallets would be mobile since is what you can expect someone to have available to pay in a store, for that, you need a webcam system which most retail stations dont have. Probably the more modern tablet systems could be used, but you will be locked to an app that might not be able to be extended unless is fully open source. Even with web POS, is a bit challenging to call a webcam and insert the scan. Most of the time we see this on mobile devices, but I still have to see a system from a website. So development here might need to be further researched or builted.

Mobile issues
Still no good app for IOS, and apps are hard to update IMO.

A fork of the DASH Mobile Wallet to make it a POS system could be a way to go about this. Having an endpoint to process a product list and fill out the POS UI could be a way to process payments in DASH, however the app might not be good for anything else, like FIAT or accounting. Further research might need to be done on Mobile based POS and the way they interact with the backoffice.

A fork of the DASH Mobile Wallet to make it a POS system could be a way to go about this. Having an endpoint to process a product list and fill out the POS UI could be a way to process payments in DASH, however the app might not be good for anything else, like FIAT or accounting. Further research might need to be done on Mobile based POS and the way they interact with the backoffice.
^^^^This^^^^ As far as "accounting" to pay taxes, most of these people try to stick with cash and do it all under the table (one of the ways they survive, 'cause competition is stiff!)

For this little thing, this basic service idea I have, this is really all we would need. Right here, the idea is for TINY vendors. Women that knit hats and sell them at flea markets, people who create costume / cosplay items and sell them at comic con. These people usually deal in cash, and have expanded to accept CC at very high fees because they make more sales that way. They usually also have a website/sales portal either on ebay or etsy or their own yahoo store, wordpress, etc... BUT they DON'T have an app that will 1. keep tabs on what they sold (it's all written on "sales slips" which then, IF they're organized, has to be put into a book. Most of these people aren't even that organized. They guess on the fly what they spent on making an item and how low they're willing to go for price. They're disorganized and wondering why they barely survive, if they're surviving. Lets help them thrive!

An EASY app, one that can keep tabs on inventory in a very simplistic way... I see this like so:

Supplies, coming from an order they made:
decorative gears $10.99 or $0.23 ea
glue $3.99
leather $26.89

Then they can make things, calculate approx how many supply items it took and time, then enter a unique item or one they make several off, and keep track of sales/inventory, etc...

And that's it. It's almost just a spreadsheet only made in such a way that it's super easy to use with a well explained GUI. Most of these people have a phobia to paperwork and are ADD, so they can't deal with the minutia of tracking things and survive by guessing and never knowing. It's gotta be painless to the Nth degree for them to use. It'll be a god send to them!

This app will automatically price everything in Dash for them, or they can use their little gizmo to charge CC on, or still accept Dash. This could all work on the phone and sync up with their computers at home.

They can accept Dash into their favorite exchange and cash it out automatically. There are a few exchanges already which convert Dash to fiat, might as well show them some support :)

Last edited:
The rest of that stuff, stuff that would excellent for mini marts (and heck, maybe places like 7-11 already use such things) would be awesome too! Of course 7-11 uses SAP and you're not going to change them, but you might change Alta Dena, or independent stores. It would be super awesome if we could dissect Odoo for parts that could make this happen for the application I'm thinking of here, and at the same time integrate Dash into Odoo.

An EASY app, one that can keep tabs on inventory in a very simplistic way... I see this like so:

Supplies, coming from an order they made:
decorative gears $10.99 or $0.23 ea
glue $3.99
leather $26.89

Then they can make things, calculate approx how many supply items it took and time, then enter a unique item or one they make several off, and keep track of sales/inventory, etc...

Yes that's an inventory system, the thing is that once you have that, then it extends to also track your expenses, and invoices then it becomes an accounting system, and that's how usually you end up with an ERP which holds all your company information. But I agree, certainly is a market for something in between I encourage you to try the many POS systems that I suggested (even as demo) and see if they will acomplish your needs, and then show it to the group to see if either we can build one like that from scratch or be able to integrate with other systems.

Slowly gathering bullion here in Western Australia for our 'OTC Ag' project. Tiny. Quirky. But by Christmas we should be trading DASH (and MyPetCrypto) for silver.

Can you post a link? I'd like to learn more :)

Yes that's an inventory system, the thing is that once you have that, then it extends to also track your expenses, and invoices then it becomes an accounting system, and that's how usually you end up with an ERP which holds all your company information. But I agree, certainly is a market for something in between I encourage you to try the many POS systems that I suggested (even as demo) and see if they will acomplish your needs, and then show it to the group to see if either we can build one like that from scratch or be able to integrate with other systems.

Good suggestion, I'll try to put more time into this :D In the mean time, don't anyone hesitate to suggest things!!!

Well, I'm sure still here -- and will be all during Christmas.

Presently laying in some bullion for Ag-crypto trades. And wigglin' about to get some Bitcoin in the kitty. Our merchant -- Lonely Highway Delivery Guy -- finally has a MyPetCoin android wallet (on a smartphone). And for the first time yesterday I bought a little DASH to trade.

And this article encouraged me: I've been treated with ignore in my efforts to get crypto geeks to assist -- 'mentor' -- merchants.

'accepting both fiat and Bitcoin with the help of several Bitcoin groups.'
and 'the shops in the Passage will have no problem in asking for support and guidance.'

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitc...-in-paris-ready-to-accept-bitcoin-for-payment

That's mentoring, pure and simple, and what could be more obviously necessary to grass-roots acceptance than the need for the geeks to assist the newcomers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back