• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

COMPLETE MASTERNODE GUIDE (WINDOWS LOCAL + LINUX REMOTE @VULTR)

Darkuopm Regarding your questions...
Default text editor that is present on every unix system is "vi". But it is a bit tricky to use (try googling "vi commands" or "vi guide")....
Alternatively you can install JOE, which is nicer, simpler editor.

A a root user (su -) run: apt-get install joe

Once installed, I would also suggest you edit the file /etc/sudoers:
run: joe /etc/sudoers

find the line:
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
and
underneath add a new line:
jack ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

(substitute jack with your username)
press "ctrl+k" and then "x" - joe command for save file and exit.

BTW - as copy paste in linux terminal (ctrl+c and ctrl+v) do not work, you should use:
COPY is ctrl+insert
PASTE is shift+insert

now you can run administrative commands from your own local username, if you use the command sudo. for example:

sudo apt-get update

so, now you should be able to create a .darkcoin/darkcoin.conf file
(do a "ls -al" for list of all files and directories in current directory... and if directory ".darkcoin" does not exist, first create it with "mkdir .darkcoin") ...

hope this gets you started...

Again thank you for the support. It was very helpful. What part of Africa are you in? I spent a few years in The Cote D'Ivoire in West Africa. I have learned much about Ubuntu this week. I have completed setting up the server side with the .conf file and the IPTABLES file as per the guide. I am having similar issues as others have posted with the error "you must set masternode=1 in the configuration" when I attempt to start masternode on local pc. I have verified that my darkcoin.conf file does not have the .txt extention as well and that masternode=1. I have changed it to masternode=0 restarted darkcoin-qt then exited and changed back to masternode=1. I have tried copying it to the USSER/Appdata/Roaming/Darkcoin folder as well. I have deleted everything in that folder except the wallet and reran the darkcoin-qt.exe and resynced. I am entering the walletpassphrase command each time first and including my password after the Masternode start command. I am using version .10.11.5. I created a new wallet and sent 1000 DRK to its 0 address and regenerated the masternode gen key and updated the .conf files on both local and Vultr. I don't understand the -dir command to try that but I have tried everything i can find and no luck getting the custom .conf to load properly. Hacking video game systems has been easier than this. I enjoy the challenge but am at a wall. any idea or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again

**UPDATE** After hours and multiple attempts I finally figured out the problem. notepad prompted me to change the encoding to Unicode instead of ANSI. As I am so new to programming I did that. I re-saved the local .conf file encoded with ANSI and I am now going to try and finish the setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.

enjoying my time in Egypt :)

bgaer: did you managed to solve it? that 1 DRK does sound like MN payment!

dotnetmin: thank you, received!

Darkuopm hope you managed it now :) did not think of notepad coding possibilities... :)

DyslexicZombei & others inquiring about -datadir option - run the darkcoin-qt.exe from cmd with a "-?" parameter, and it will open a list of possible parameters...
-datadir is great to separate data from multiple instances (not running at the same time unfortunately) of darkcoin.
run it like: darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\1 -conf=c:\1\darkcoin.conf
and you will have everything from this instance of darkcoin in folder c:\1 ... and you can have c:\2 with second wallet etc...

darklord1981 - i am not aware of a way to push MN payments to another address. Also - it seems that if you move that 1drk(-charge) to another address, this migh interrupt the MN. See this thread for way to move drks without interrupting MNs: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc3-soft-fork.1576/page-5#post-10259

Hey.

enjoying my time in Egypt :)

bgaer: did you managed to solve it? that 1 DRK does sound like MN payment!

dotnetmin: thank you, received!

Darkuopm hope you managed it now :) did not think of notepad coding possibilities... :)

DyslexicZombei & others inquiring about -datadir option - run the darkcoin-qt.exe from cmd with a "-?" parameter, and it will open a list of possible parameters...
-datadir is great to separate data from multiple instances (not running at the same time unfortunately) of darkcoin.
run it like: darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\1 -conf=c:\1\darkcoin.conf
and you will have everything from this instance of darkcoin in folder c:\1 ... and you can have c:\2 with second wallet etc...

darklord1981 - i am not aware of a way to push MN payments to another address. Also - it seems that if you move that 1drk(-charge) to another address, this migh interrupt the MN. See this thread for way to move drks without interrupting MNs: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc3-soft-fork.1576/page-5#post-10259

Weirdgod: - Thank you again. I will be sending a donation as well once my MN receives a payment. Its been 20 hours nothing yet but I am sure it will come. I did actually get both my MN up and running one late last night and one today. Only wish I could afford to buy more. I also followed the other guide to set up miners. They are both working however if I close my ssh connection via Putty the miner stops. Any idea how to keep it going or do I just have to keep the connections on my local pc?

Getting ready to try this right now! Excited! =) Thanks for the guide. Will be sure to tip when it's all said and done. Is it difficult to setup more than one masternode from the same machine?

So was changing firewall.sh with vi, saved the file, went to chmod it and ./firewall, then I get "Activating firewall for" and hangs until PuTTY disconnects and goes inactive. Any other experiences?

Alright, figured it out. Copying and pasting the code was dropping the second I for the IIP. Weird...

Got it up and working! Thank you so much, not that bad at all. The hardest part was getting freaking Vi to not ding at me when trying to input info. Hooray! So one last question then is if I want to host more masternodes, do I just rent out more linux servers and repeat?

Hehe, VI is a hard one to crack for beginners :)

Regarding MrMime 's question on more masternodes - you, you need a separate linux server for every instance of masternode. At least for now.

Darkuopm - you can solve the miner's problem with adding the "-B" parameter to the command line... this will make it work in the background (like daemon).
if you do "minerd -help" you will see all possible parameters...

Thanks weirdgod! Went ahead and tipped. Awesome work.

Any good process for updating? Do I need to stop darkcoind, re wget, then restart darkcoind?

Thanks weirdgod! Went ahead and tipped. Awesome work.

Any good process for updating? Do I need to stop darkcoind, re wget, then restart darkcoind?
MrMime see Weirdgods post #55 on page three of this guide for instructions on how to update.

Thanks weirdgod. You have been alot of help. As promised I got my first MN payment and I tipped it to you. I appreciate the knowledge you have shared.

MrMime see Weirdgods post #55 on page three of this guide for instructions on how to update.

Thanks weirdgod. You have been alot of help. As promised I got my first MN payment and I tipped it to you. I appreciate the knowledge you have shared.
Thanks Darkuopm.

OK, no need to do it, have asked Yidakee / Ghostplayer who arranged it for me and has done everything remotely. Can really recommend his help if you are not sure about setting the MN or securing it! It was a great experience & also learned a lot about DRK! The MN is working flawlessly, waiting for my first payment to come :)

Hej guys,
I have been following the guides for setting up masternodes for quite a while and have installed my first remote server yesterday but haven't started deploying the cold wallet local machine yet. I am wondering though if anyone has thought about automatic provisioning using vagrant + puppet.
I was thinking a puppet recipe for
  • cloning the git repository
  • installing dependencies
  • building the source
  • setting ip-tables
  • running a monitoring daemon (something like "newrelic" )
That can't be that hard I suppose. If that works and even including the local wallet it could be possible to just do a "vagrant provision" if a new source is release to keep up with the development...

Hi,
can you please report how good your payment results are.
I used this guide here to set up a masternode and all looks like good if i check with ./darkcoind masternode list | grep <IP>
Also in the masternodelist all is green.
Alltogether after 3 days i got only 1 payment on day one ( version x.4 ) After update to x.5 i didn´t get a payment.
Some other users reported that they changed IP, used a freh wallet and a new genkey after update from x.4 to x.5
I did also follow this and now after 3 more days in didn´t get a payment and also was not selected to get payed.
So i think there is something wrong i do not see. Any ideas ? Maybe it is not working with the windows cold wallet ?

Hi,
can you please report how good your payment results are.
I used this guide here to set up a masternode and all looks like good if i check with ./darkcoind masternode list | grep <IP>
Also in the masternodelist all is green.
Alltogether after 3 days i got only 1 payment on day one ( version x.4 ) After update to x.5 i didn´t get a payment.
Some other users reported that they changed IP, used a freh wallet and a new genkey after update from x.4 to x.5
I did also follow this and now after 3 more days in didn´t get a payment and also was not selected to get payed.
So i think there is something wrong i do not see. Any ideas ? Maybe it is not working with the windows cold wallet ?
try this one with your MN adddress as filter - maybe it was "bad actors" fault http://drk.poolhash.org/masternode.html

try this one with your MN adddress as filter - maybe it was "bad actors"
i did already checked. I got not choosed and got no payment.
I did also made a research over the last 500 blocks from my own recorded data, nothing.
What makes me think there could be something wrong is that there are a lot of nodes choosed multiple times and others never.
from 528 Nodes only 286 nodes were selected, all others were multiple selections, one had 8 votes and one 7.
Maybe there are 200 nodes that will not get choosed on a reason we do not know yet.

I'm currently making 0.60 DRK per day and masternode. That sucks.
Last week it was around 0.95 DRK per day and node.

Thank You for the Guide!

Looking to setup several MN's with the Wallet,(local), machine on Linux. The only Linux source wallet I was able to find/comiile/sync was v0.10.11.5-beta. Will that work?

Thank You

Hi, there is a new version 0.10.11.6 out, to upgrade the darkcoind file on my server can i just use download the file from darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind because that file is 53mb wheres the file on darkcoin.io website (github/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz) is only 7mb (bin/64bit/darkcoind) once extracted, can somebody clarify which file to use? Thanks.

Hi, there is a new version 0.10.11.6 out, to upgrade the darkcoind file on my server can i just use download the file from darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind because that file is 53mb wheres the file on darkcoin.io website (github/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz) is only 7mb (bin/64bit/darkcoind) once extracted, can somebody clarify which file to use? Thanks.
the file on darkcoin.io is still 10.11.5...

the file on darkcoin.io is still 10.11.5...
Thanks for confirming vertoe, do you know why there is such a difference in file size 53mb from website compared to 7mb through github? Going to try github file, hopefully works...

Back