• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What's in a name? ...or, is a rose by any othername worth the trouble?

How many of us would be here if it was called Dash? Sounds like a brand of washing powder.

Here's how you deal with the 'OMG dark is bad and evil and illegal isn't it?' question:

'No, it's not. It's like Bitcoin, but private, and a hundred times faster. Also you can earn more money by just having some and running an app to help the network.' Go from there.

Yes I think questioning your name means you could end up appearing insecure, unsure, lacking direction and lacking cohesion or vision as a brand (or currency or commodity if you prefer). That doesn't mean you can't change the name, but it would be better if it was pulled off as a huge publicity stunt and not as a we didn't like the word Darkcoin so we decided to do a vote online and switched based on the people that participated in the vote. Thats it for me tonight... Thanks for letting me express myself on that and I put my trust in you to do the right thing for all of us. Sorry again for seeming harsh about this idea, opinions or members of the community deep down there is love, just please do it smoothly if you do decide on this route I won't talk about it any more unless asked.

This comes off as a bit condescending... not sure if that's what you were going for or not, but I'm not going to stop the subject until it is actually discussed by numerous members of the community, let alone the foundation. It's worthwhile to have everything aired out in the open. If the cons outweigh the pros, then any future name change discussions can be directed to this thread and case closed.

How many of us would be here if it was called Dash? Sounds like a brand of washing powder.

Here's how you deal with the 'OMG dark is bad and evil and illegal isn't it?' question:

'No, it's not. It's like Bitcoin, but private, and a hundred times faster. Also you can earn more money by just having some and running an app to help the network.' Go from there.
That's not the point. Darkcoin did it's job in the beginning and has gotten us to where we are today but Darkcoin in the beginning is different than Darkcoin today. What started as a privacy-centric project has turned into a viable, fast confirm method of transacting business. No one is saying a name has even been picked, it's just opening the table for discussion. Floating the idea of a new name that better represents where the coin is today and its future is what this discussion is about.

Besides, are you sure you have time to weigh in with how busy you have been with Spread ;)

dash-explained.png
I believe a name change would be a massive positive for Darkcoin and would persuade investors, business owners and your average man and woman on the street to start accepting it... Just imagine the number of markets this coin would suddenly be an option for and then imagine the huge uptake increase... It really doesn't take a great leap of the imagination IMO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This comes off as a bit condescending... not sure if that's what you were going for or not, but I'm not going to stop the subject until it is actually discussed by numerous members of the community, let alone the foundation. It's worthwhile to have everything aired out in the open. If the cons outweigh the pros, then any future name change discussions can be directed to this thread and case closed.
We can change it to "Duffcoin", as Tante suggested... How would you like that? :grin:

I believe a name change would be a massive positive for Darkcoin and would persuade investors, business owners and your average man and woman on the street to start accepting it... Just imagine the number of markets this coin would suddenly be an option for and then imagine the huge uptake increase... It really doesn't take a great leap of the imagination IMO :)
Great post! Visuals are great, help people see a potential future with a different name... You may have to change your name to Dashman, LOL!

Cheers Tao, Thought it might help :)

I really feel we are trapping the huge potential of this coin if we stick with the "Darkcoin" name. Look at all the hard work this amazing community is putting into this coin and the sad thing is most people and businesses won't even look at the amazing features this coin has because of the name. It's quite sad really, and that's why I feel we need to change it asap.

tl;dr

Dash is WAY short sighted

Let's think about 50 years into the future - and not about a feature that has yet to be released

We can do so much better

tl;dr

Let's think about 50 years into the future - and not about a feature that has yet to be released

We can do so much better
...and no one said it was the only idea. People seem to think that it's Dash or Darkcoin, that's not it. It's about opening the community up to reception about potential names and viability in the long run. To weigh the pros against the cons. If you're only thinking about the crypto markets and how much the Darkcoin name has already done for us then you're neglecting the broader markets that are turned off by a name that has a negative light (ironic). I'm not saying to rush the discussion--I'm saying take some time and give it some actual, real thought. By all accounts, Darkcoin is young and can afford to do this whereas Bitcoin has no chance in hell at a rebrand.

tl;dr

We can do so much better

Its difficult because Dash sounds good too and so do a bunch of other names. However, Dash sounds like a feature and Dark sounds like a plan. Dash could be seen as a more light name :) by definition of the word Dark, do we want a light or heavy name? I believe in a market inundated with competitors, already possessing one of the heaviest names gives us a niche that we should grow instead of surrendering it to the next contender. We need to fight for our space. I see the Dash feature as a general in the plan (maybe instantx could be renamed to dash, and then maybe people could either call it Dash or Dark, 2 perspectives, you are either sending it Dark or Dash (technically both), and they become 1. Could it just be DCOIN for those who like it not too Dark? Something like DCOIN: DSend (instead of Darksend Dash or Darksend InstantX)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back