What's in a name? ...or, is a rose by any othername worth the trouble?

r-ando

Foundation Member
Jun 22, 2014
Canada
No one is saying the name change will happen. We're all adults and have a meaningful, educational discussion is healthy for the coin.

I'll be the first to admit, every other name change suggestion till now (and it seems to happen every couple of months) I have been against, but with recent developments of InstantX, it seems now there is much more potential in usage than just those focusing on privacy. I think it's worth at least discussing. There is a very real possibility that nothing comes about, but at least it is discussed from those at have vested interests in the coin itself and to those that MIGHT be future users down the road. Having an educational discussion about pros and cons is good for the coin. Anyone that thinks having these sorts of things will negatively impact the coin only further proves that the community and market as is, is too small and impressionable.
Could these conversations maybe be done privately with the development team? So as not to scare off potential investors? And then if a decision is made with the development team they can let us know officially?

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
Could these conversations maybe be done privately with the development team? So as not to scare off potential investors? And then if a decision is made with the development team they can let us know officially?
Is it not fair to have the community address pros and cons as well? As I already said, if having meaningful discussions about branding is enough to scare off potential investors, then it further proves my point that the market is too narrow.

Reactions: strix

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Why should this be done privately when everything else related to the improvement of Darkcoin has been done publicly?

Reactions: strix and oblox

r-ando

Foundation Member
Jun 22, 2014
Canada
I am in favor of a name change to something that makes it seem less dodgy. I think it would not hurt Darkcoin.
However, this would have to be planned carefully.
It would have to be planned carefully, I definitely agree.

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
An open discussion is key. I am pro-name change for the reasons stated above, the growth potential is way higher with a mainstream name that doesn't alienate huge swaths of people. Whether we agree with it or not, this is the truth.

This coin is amazing, and it deserves to have a future to match.

I hope that this will be seriously considered by The Foundation, with input from all Darkcoiners (pro and con), and then put to bed for good.

Reactions: strix and moli

r-ando

Foundation Member
Jun 22, 2014
Canada
Why should this be done privately when everything else related to the improvement of Darkcoin has been done publicly?
So we can appear confident and committed to our path instead of appearing insecure and unsure and lacking direction or cohesion. Sun Tsu the Art of War, divide your enemy, how easy is it to divide, how hard to stay firm in one consistent vibration? You talk about renaming a company its usually because its not going well, I think its going very well and great things are already on the way, they are already here.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
So we can appear confident and committed to our path instead of appearing insecure and unsure and lacking direction or cohesion. Sun Tsu the Art of War, divide your enemy, how easy is it to divide, how hard to stay firm in one consistent vibration? You talk about renaming a company its usually because its not going well, I think its going very well and great things are already on the way, they are already here.
I think it's the opposite. Having an open discussion is more transparent and honest. Besides, this discussion about the name has been floating around, so I thought it would be good to suggest strix to have this thread opened, so we can have the pros and cons laid out once and for all, to get this to rest, whether the name changing will happen or not.

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
If you're pointing out opinions, then your opinion is discussing something like this in the open means us appearing insecure, unsure, lacking direction and lacking cohesion. That's your opinion on the matter and not the only that matters (much like you directed at my opinion). You can't compare discussing an open source project with its community to a business contemplating reinventing itself. One is community driven (open source), the other isn't. Further, Darkcoin is a currency (and to that point, a commodity), at least that's its initial mandate--it's not a business entity, even if you earn interest from running masternodes. The core purpose of Darkcoin to exist is for a medium of exchange (and a store of value being deflationary after the POW period).

r-ando

Foundation Member
Jun 22, 2014
Canada
If you're pointing out opinions, then your opinion is discussing something like this in the open means us appearing insecure, unsure, lacking direction and lacking cohesion. That's your opinion on the matter and not the only that matters (much like you directed at my opinion). You can't compare discussing an open source project with its community to a business contemplating reinventing itself. One is community driven (open source), the other isn't. Further, Darkcoin is a currency (and to that point, a commodity), at least that's its initial mandate--it's not a business entity, even if you earn interest from running masternodes. The core purpose of Darkcoin to exist is for a medium of exchange (and a store of value being deflationary after the POW period).
Yes I think questioning your name means you could end up appearing insecure, unsure, lacking direction and lacking cohesion or vision as a brand (or currency or commodity if you prefer). That doesn't mean you can't change the name, but it would be better if it was pulled off as a huge publicity stunt and not as a we didn't like the word Darkcoin so we decided to do a vote online and switched based on the people that participated in the vote. Thats it for me tonight... Thanks for letting me express myself on that and I put my trust in you to do the right thing for all of us. Sorry again for seeming harsh about this idea, opinions or members of the community deep down there is love, just please do it smoothly if you do decide on this route I won't talk about it any more unless asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
How many of us would be here if it was called Dash? Sounds like a brand of washing powder.

Here's how you deal with the 'OMG dark is bad and evil and illegal isn't it?' question:

'No, it's not. It's like Bitcoin, but private, and a hundred times faster. Also you can earn more money by just having some and running an app to help the network.' Go from there.

Reactions: JGCMiner

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
Yes I think questioning your name means you could end up appearing insecure, unsure, lacking direction and lacking cohesion or vision as a brand (or currency or commodity if you prefer). That doesn't mean you can't change the name, but it would be better if it was pulled off as a huge publicity stunt and not as a we didn't like the word Darkcoin so we decided to do a vote online and switched based on the people that participated in the vote. Thats it for me tonight... Thanks for letting me express myself on that and I put my trust in you to do the right thing for all of us. Sorry again for seeming harsh about this idea, opinions or members of the community deep down there is love, just please do it smoothly if you do decide on this route I won't talk about it any more unless asked.
This comes off as a bit condescending... not sure if that's what you were going for or not, but I'm not going to stop the subject until it is actually discussed by numerous members of the community, let alone the foundation. It's worthwhile to have everything aired out in the open. If the cons outweigh the pros, then any future name change discussions can be directed to this thread and case closed.

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
How many of us would be here if it was called Dash? Sounds like a brand of washing powder.

Here's how you deal with the 'OMG dark is bad and evil and illegal isn't it?' question:

'No, it's not. It's like Bitcoin, but private, and a hundred times faster. Also you can earn more money by just having some and running an app to help the network.' Go from there.
That's not the point. Darkcoin did it's job in the beginning and has gotten us to where we are today but Darkcoin in the beginning is different than Darkcoin today. What started as a privacy-centric project has turned into a viable, fast confirm method of transacting business. No one is saying a name has even been picked, it's just opening the table for discussion. Floating the idea of a new name that better represents where the coin is today and its future is what this discussion is about.

Besides, are you sure you have time to weigh in with how busy you have been with Spread ;)

dazman

May 14, 2014
dash-explained.png I believe a name change would be a massive positive for Darkcoin and would persuade investors, business owners and your average man and woman on the street to start accepting it... Just imagine the number of markets this coin would suddenly be an option for and then imagine the huge uptake increase... It really doesn't take a great leap of the imagination IMO :)

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
This comes off as a bit condescending... not sure if that's what you were going for or not, but I'm not going to stop the subject until it is actually discussed by numerous members of the community, let alone the foundation. It's worthwhile to have everything aired out in the open. If the cons outweigh the pros, then any future name change discussions can be directed to this thread and case closed.
We can change it to "Duffcoin", as Tante suggested... How would you like that? :D

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
I believe a name change would be a massive positive for Darkcoin and would persuade investors, business owners and your average man and woman on the street to start accepting it... Just imagine the number of markets this coin would suddenly be an option for and then imagine the huge uptake increase... It really doesn't take a great leap of the imagination IMO :)
Great post! Visuals are great, help people see a potential future with a different name... You may have to change your name to Dashman, LOL!

dazman

May 14, 2014
Cheers Tao, Thought it might help :)

I really feel we are trapping the huge potential of this coin if we stick with the "Darkcoin" name. Look at all the hard work this amazing community is putting into this coin and the sad thing is most people and businesses won't even look at the amazing features this coin has because of the name. It's quite sad really, and that's why I feel we need to change it asap.

MangledBlue

Jun 28, 2014
USA
tl;dr

Dash is WAY short sighted

Let's think about 50 years into the future - and not about a feature that has yet to be released

We can do so much better

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
tl;dr

Let's think about 50 years into the future - and not about a feature that has yet to be released

We can do so much better
...and no one said it was the only idea. People seem to think that it's Dash or Darkcoin, that's not it. It's about opening the community up to reception about potential names and viability in the long run. To weigh the pros against the cons. If you're only thinking about the crypto markets and how much the Darkcoin name has already done for us then you're neglecting the broader markets that are turned off by a name that has a negative light (ironic). I'm not saying to rush the discussion--I'm saying take some time and give it some actual, real thought. By all accounts, Darkcoin is young and can afford to do this whereas Bitcoin has no chance in hell at a rebrand.

Reactions: TaoOfSatoshi

r-ando

Foundation Member
Jun 22, 2014
Canada
tl;dr

We can do so much better
Its difficult because Dash sounds good too and so do a bunch of other names. However, Dash sounds like a feature and Dark sounds like a plan. Dash could be seen as a more light name :) by definition of the word Dark, do we want a light or heavy name? I believe in a market inundated with competitors, already possessing one of the heaviest names gives us a niche that we should grow instead of surrendering it to the next contender. We need to fight for our space. I see the Dash feature as a general in the plan (maybe instantx could be renamed to dash, and then maybe people could either call it Dash or Dark, 2 perspectives, you are either sending it Dark or Dash (technically both), and they become 1. Could it just be DCOIN for those who like it not too Dark? Something like DCOIN: DSend (instead of Darksend Dash or Darksend InstantX)