• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Volunteer to support Dash development (improve dashpay.io website)

hello guys - I am finally back (I had some issues during the last two weeks)
do we have a web-master / designer, who could work on the suggestions shared by alex-ru and propose new design for the landing page first and then work on other improvements (it could be also a group of people working in parallel)?
thanks in advance

I have created a project in Jira: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/browse/WEBSITE

PS. Let me know if you can see it

Not yet visible, I'll finish setting permissions today and create a way to report bugs on that platform.

Update: finished the setup, now you can open the link kot mentioned, and using the Service Desk functionality new tickets can be added to the Backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my suggestions for the website as it stands now. I went ahead and clicked just about EVERY link I could in there.
A lot of my suggestions are to change the target to _blank on links that leave our website. This is because it's never a good idea to send people away from your website without giving them a reasonable option to get back. The attention span people have is not high enough to hit the back button and once they are onto a new website they pretty much wont be coming back to yours unless they need too.

I've listed every link on the website that makes the user leave the actual website into a completely different website, whether it be dashtalk, the wiki, or something else. Many web designers argue about what practice is better. Some people complain that opening a new page without letting the user know is not the right thing to do, hence the reason wordpress gives us this little button to add to links

pc7piZD.png

Anyways I build basic websites on the side and have a decent portfolio. If anyone needs some help with this or with another site (associated with dash) let me know.

Please note: these are only suggestions based on my personal preference. i don't expect you guys to do it all but at least take into consideration.

The Bold Large Headers are Main Menu Links. The numbered items are sub links. and the sentences with a - in front of them are my actual suggestions.

'ABOUT':
1)
'What is Dash'
- We don't want people leaving the website. Make the target = _blank,
- All other Links work here.

2) 'Team'
-Of course this would be a choice but if possible ask team members only if they are willing for:
-photo, email, twitter/social page, or even dashtalk user name.

3) 'Dash Foundation'
- We don't want people leaving the website. Make the target = _blank

'USE DASH'
1)
'Wallet'
-Three side menu links that lead to wiki take you away from website. Make the target = _blank

2) 'Where to spend'
- We don't want people leaving the website. Make the target = _blank

'DOWNLOAD'
1)
'Mailing List'
-on right and side should be target=_blank

2) 'release notes'
-right above 'terms of use' disclaimer is a dead link.
-Also when fixed Make the target = _blank

1)
the 'Dashtalk' link in the paragraph above the form should be target=_blank

NEWS:
1)
Each Section has specific Blog Posts listed. These posts are links to the actual blog posts content. So it shows us a little snippet of the posts, the author, the date, the title. There should be a 'read more' button for each of these. The only way to tell if those are links is to hover them and see if the cursor changes.

SOCIAL BUTTONS AT BOTTOM:
1) should be target=_blank
I can probably fix these up. Such a great comprehensive list you've done all the hardwork. I'll report back.

do we have a web-master / designer, who could work on the suggestions shared by alex-ru and propose new design for the landing page first and then work on other improvements (it could be also a group of people working in parallel)?
thanks in advance
Yeah I don't mind having a go at it. I'll need someone to help with images i'm not a photoshop guy. I already have been provided an adminstrator account on Dashpay. I am just trying to decide if there is a better way to go with the updates. I'd prefer to breakout the current site into a production instance and a development instance. At this point it I don't have access ot the actual server that hosts the wp instance so there is a few hurdles to jump through.

thanks in advance
If i'm not mistaken, only a few people have access to dashpay.io, afaik, only Evan, Fernando, and Raze have the access there. If you let someone else do this, can they breach security and change the wallet downloads which are the most important things there?

If i'm not mistaken, only a few people have access to dashpay.io, afaik, only Evan, Fernando, and Raze have the access there. If you let someone else do this, can they breach security and change the wallet downloads which are the most important things there?
Sure they could. Fernando setup me up with an administrator account so that I could help out with the main site. We are auditing the infrastructure to make sure its going to scale well and be reliable for the future. That is part of what we want to protect is someone maliciously placing content on the site we don't want there.

We need to create a new, development instance.
coingun - do you have an access to the server as well (to create the new instance of the site)?

We need to create a new, development instance.
coingun - do you have an access to the server as well (to create the new instance of the site)?
No I don't.

If I could get a dump of the sql I could stand a dev.dashpay.io up somewhere would jsut need someone to set the dns record. Actually i'd probalby need the wwwroot too for the plugins and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't.

If I could get a dump of the sql I could stand a dev.dashpay.io up somewhere would jsut need someone to set the dns record.
What will the dev.dashpay.io do?
I mean we already have this site, and github, and slack, and irc, and bct...

What will the dev.dashpay.io do?
I mean we already have this site, and github, and slack, and irc, and bct...
it will allow us to develop the new site without fucking up the existing one. Believe it or not it isn't standard practice to be making edits directly in production. Production edits should be cut after the code has cleared dev and qa.

moli - dev.dashpay.io is just a subdomain.
coingun is absolutely right - we need to prepare the development environment and when the chanes are ready, migrate it to Prod

coingun - I will ask for a copy of the website

moli - dev.dashpay.io is just a subdomain.
coingun is absolutely right - we need to prepare the development environment and when the chanes are ready, migrate it to Prod

coingun - I will ask for a copy of the website
Oh I thought we've always had it all along, under a different name.

the domain is down at the moment - maybe it is just temporary unavailable (but we should have it anyway)

I'd be interested in helping out - I've been involved in CSS/HTML since forever, jQuery/Javascript for the last few years and have built up a decent amount of experience in WordPress in the last year. Happy to help polish things up where possible :)

This is really cool snogcel - I will update you as soon as I have any info about the dev instance

Hi guys,
It took a while but we finally have a dev instance.
Which one of you is still able to help and implement the improvements?
Please let me know as I need to setup new accounts for you.

Back