• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v0.10.9.x Help test RC2 forking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me its normal variance - have a look at http://tdrk.poolhash.org/blocks/masterpay.txt to get a impression how the payouts are distributed.

Code:
[...]
last 90 blocks
     18 mpgNHgxhtGHhYX98wam8X9DWzpNMNaNuEA
      9 n36fd8g9ad9bph8zcmVbLPXYbkqr5H59zF
      9 muj9oHwCtoWLcrALSfV7yQS2yh1KLpbXo6
      8 mpmb1TWTTAvZNiwU91GAX1numoZeLusN8N
      7 mtLYCQ6it9eDjqGurjqBmtFSzebK8ttyaL
      7 mkLN57jC9sYqMkp8RBcJF2H9hvhz6vabwQ
      5 mzCKvrXb42KekMJcFGhneNVnJRcuRPc5Mt
      5 mxv11kABs5n2aLWHytKgFQvESd2f9vwywL
      4 muNRbrwBSgTCdHTYL5R2Eokvj9H1q21ytC
      4 mpd9So5Ryybp5zgxssDxArS8k8z4ie2i26
      4 mfpSMCgkVjrtkSVhfswSWUsdbRUxU6gFFm
      2 msBm7XEsX4x5DSkLcC44tayXS3hYyN8wBR
      2 ms9JqmHQ6QrLbeFFyAp22cofqnR5PNuHkK
      2 mpKNkHEdgtxQAjTCkGB4ZwHAED74qwjDvj
      2 mnX22j3tEyovhif1GeecQ8YCAYzWHuXEv3
      1 mw23256bSTqEkP6ThTRrY3KNicB9cfwzLR
      1 -

Lets say there were 576 blocks paid in the last 24 hours, and 15 active masternodes, then the expected median for one node is 38.4 payouts - which matches the average payouts for your two nodes quite nicely: (55 + 25) / 2 = 40

So yes: It's variance and the timeframe of 1 day is to small to judge wether there is a significant deviation. The distribution algorithm is using (random) tx hashes for each node, to spoof it you will have to find a way to manipulate the tx-hashes .
Thank you flare for this detailed explanation. To have you here ist a tremendous advantage for all of us.

Will bring 15mh/s to testnet too. Just need to know where to point to!
Why not pointing it at your own client? - 15mh/s will get you about 68% of testnets network hash currently - i am putting 2mh/s at testnet, and get 25% of all blocks mined :grin:

To reproduce the intermittent forks we saw in mainnet, we need to distribute the hashpower to more miners to increase the probability of simultanous generation of blocks - nevertheless it will be very difficult to reproduce this without tweaked clients...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not pointing it at your own miner - 15mh/s will get you about 68% of mainnets network hash currently - i am putting 2mh/s at testnet, and get 25% of all blocks mined :grin:

To reproduce the intermittent forks we saw in mainnet, we need to distribute the hashpower to more miners to increase the probability of simultanous generation of blocks.

OH BOY!! now If could only pull a 51% I would own ALL TESTNET coins ... mmmmu-hahahahaha (Evil cartoon laugh).... for about what, 1 or two blocks, before getting all orphaned...

Seriously now, on friday, mini forks were created because blocks were "simultaneously" found and voted (with different votes) so they went through before network consensus. If I am bringing in so much power, this will most likely not happen as statistically the chances of cracking a block at the same time someone else does, is greatly reduced. Right?

So maybe its not a good idea to bring in so much? I've got 5x 280x under win8.1 I know there is a way to fire up sgminer/cgminer to only use one card, but not sure how. I could spread out each card (solo, p2p, nomp, etc), but I'd need help doing this (how to config)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am bringing in so much power, this will most likely not happen as statistically the chances of cracking a block at the same time someone else does, is greatly reduced. Right?
Yep, that's the challenge in testnet. If we accumulate to much hashpower in one pool, we are reducing the probabilty to get simultanous blocks - same when we distribute the power to much...

So maybe its not a good idea to bring in so much? I've got 5x 280x under win8.1 I know there is a way to fire up sgminer/cgminer to only use one card, but not sure how. I could spread out each card (solo, p2p, nomp, etc), but I'd need help doing this (how to config)
I don't know about cgminer as i am using cudaminer/ccminer, but i can start my miner and assign only a specific card to it. It seems there is a '-d' parameter in sgminer, so maybe starting with '-d 0' will only start up card 0, and '-d 1' will only start up card 1.

Why not pointing it at your own client? - 15mh/s will get you about 68% of testnets network hash currently - i am putting 2mh/s at testnet, and get 25% of all blocks mined :grin:

To reproduce the intermittent forks we saw in mainnet, we need to distribute the hashpower to more miners to increase the probability of simultanous generation of blocks - nevertheless it will be very difficult to reproduce this without tweaked clients...

I just disabled 2 of the 3 gpus... I was getting a block every few minutes.
I can turn them back on quickly.... I can also pretty easily add 40mh to testnet for short periods of time.. just have to sync to testnet on each rig.

Ah, yes I've seen the "-d 0" config before. Will look into it and test - thanks flare!

chaeplin, it would be very cool if you could do your magic and give us a simple hash distribution chart. We could have an official list of testnet pools, so we could coordinate as best as possible to distribute hash, and replicate mainnet phenomenon...?

OH BOY!! now If could only pull a 51% I would own ALL TESTNET coins ... mmmmu-hahahahaha (Evil cartoon laugh).... for about what, 1 or two blocks, before getting all orphaned...

Seriously now, on friday, mini forks were created because blocks were "simultaneously" found and voted (with different votes) so they went through before network consensus. If I am bringing in so much power, this will most likely not happen as statistically the chances of cracking a block at the same time someone else does, is greatly reduced. Right?

You can easily tell cgminer what 'device' to use.. . also, after you start you can go into the console menu and disable or enable specific gpus.

in console. select 'g' then 'd' then 'deviceNumber'

Couldn't you simply use the LOAD BALANCE - strategy of cgminer? The hashrate should then be equally distributed to the configured pools. Never tested it though. I use ccminer with 750ti cards. Very power efficient.

I was under the impression that Load Balance will "pool hop", not distribute the hash power to the config'ed pools. Like 50% pool A and 50% pool b = 100% hash power to pool A, but only 50% of the time.

If this is correct, its not what we're looking for. We need as much exact distribution.

I was under the impression that Load Balance will "pool hop", not distribute the hash power to the config'ed pools. Like 50% pool A and 50% pool b = 100% hash power to pool A, but only 50% of the time.

If this is correct, its not what we're looking for. We need as much exact distribution.
No, what you describe is the ROTATE-strategy.

Oh miner hopping.
I do this
Code:
-o stratum+tcp://127.0.0.1:3333 -u moQD1AbtbDgPhDCXhK5x9rkUQrTHK3ZE7H -p 1 \
-o stratum+tcp://54.183.73.24:3333 -u moQD1AbtbDgPhDCXhK5x9rkUQrTHK3ZE7H -p 1 \
--rotate 2 \

2 min rotate.

If GPU is two, -d and two scripts.

I will just stay solo.. getting plenty of blocks, with one gpu... let me know if we need to really step it up.. with 12 or 24 hours notice I can put 40Mh on testnet
[11:36:48] Accepted 035ff399 Diff 0.296/0.242 BLOCK! GPU 2
[11:36:49] Network diff set to 0
[11:36:49] New block detected on network
[11:41:02] Found block for Pool 0!
[11:41:03] Accepted 2e9fd02f Diff 5.491/0.241 BLOCK! GPU 2
[11:41:03] Network diff set to 0
[11:41:03] New block detected on network
[11:50:03] Network diff set to 0
[11:50:03] New block detected on network
[11:50:07] Found block for Pool 0!
[11:50:07] Accepted 0289ac2b Diff 0.394/0.190 BLOCK! GPU 2

Seems like it would be best if mostly everyone solomined with just 1 cpu core, that way the hashrate would be spread evenly so every tester would have an equal chance of hitting a block. This would also allow usefully stacking many mining-daemons on multicore machines. Maybe blocktimes could be reduced to help cause problems?

Seems like it would be best if mostly everyone solomined with just 1 cpu core

this!

We don't need high hashrate but rather a lot of miners with similar hashrates. All I have available is an i7 and when there are people with 2 digit MHs on the network there is no point in running a miner.

it's a great idea but the problem is sometimes people on testnet set their stuff up, and forget about it, which might cause someone to be running a bigger rig. Then you have to find out who it is and get them to shut it off, LOL. But otherwise, excellent idea

this!

We don't need high hashrate but rather a lot of miners with similar hashrates. All I have available is an i7 and when there are people with 2 digit MHs on the network there is no point in running a miner.
Exactly. We need plenty of pools with spread hashrate.

so. just checking testnet... most of my solo blocks are getting orphaned....
getinfo

{
"version" : 100811,
"protocolversion" : 70015,
"walletversion" : 60000,
"balance" : 32887.73663900,
"blocks" : 23969,
"timeoffset" : 18,
"connections" : 14,
"proxy" : "",
"difficulty" : 0.19923874,
"testnet" : true,
"keypoololdest" : 1403442813,
"keypoolsize" : 101,
"paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
"mininput" : 0.00001000,
"errors" : "Hard Fork Alert: Masternode Payments begin on Friday. Please update! http://goo.gl/ucp4m7"
}

{
"account" : "",
"address" : "muy8tLwweShthtctc7A4ojHwcvzEi8ohde",
"category" : "orphan",
"amount" : 152.00000000,
"confirmations" : 0,
"generated" : true,
"txid" : "d8c9bea011c374d15546657bec096fd8681542054bb51c46ea40f3ad77a1055f",
"time" : 1403477543,
"timereceived" : 1403477554
},
{
"account" : "",
"address" : "mvY1Kr8gxCmssB9aTM3xakR8BMXVniNkvg",
"category" : "orphan",
"amount" : 136.80000000,
"confirmations" : 0,
"generated" : true,
"txid" : "c2d07a926e045a33192325a3d124c7b7688e51c425af0060f1a454e793c206eb",
"time" : 1403478147,
"timereceived" : 1403478159
},

so. just checking testnet... most of my solo blocks are getting orphaned....
Works as designed - your client (0.10.8.11) is outdated and emitting invalid blocks (re. masternode payments) - update to 0.10.10.2 and you should see different results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back