Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Trezor for Darkcoin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Propulsion, Feb 28, 2015.

1. needbmw

needbmw New Member

I confirm it works with my homemade (but full compatible with stock firmware) Trezor, at least for signing outbound transactions.
    I can make more tests if needed. The software used is Electrum-DASH 2.4.1.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

tx for the ping
    guides are done (please check the Wiki) and everything should be working fine
    Dash only
    or
    BTC / Dash parallel
    on 1 device

3. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  4. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

These guides are great and all seems so easy. I've gotten my new TREZOR, set it up but once I run Electrum Wallet (following https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Using+Trezor+with+Dash) this is what I get:
    http://s9.postimg.org/9w2v618tr/n00b.png

Once at https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor I saw this:

How to install (Windows)

Install Python 2.7 (http://python.org)
    Install Cython (Windows binaries on http://cython.org/#download)
    Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express
    Add "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0" to system PATH
    Clone repository (using TortoiseGit) to local directory
    Run C:\python27\python.exe setup.py install (or develop)

which for a n00b like myself looks insane. (I got stuck at Add... to system PATH).

So I wonder, what to do? Or should a n00b just give up an go back to following American medieval political process?

5. TanteStefana

TanteStefana Moderator
    Linguistic Foundation Member

You know, the trezor site doesn't really tell you how to use it. Funny thing to forget??!! I can't tell if it has a QR code reader? Can you use it as your wallet to buy things, or is it simply a 2FA thing? Nice to see the price lowered. I'd like to get one someday :)

6. fible1

fible1 Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Masternode Owner/Operator

You should try installing the Chrome Trezor extension, that should act as your interface and avoid you having to manually install this stuff. I have one and its a breeze to use and set up.

Pablo.

7. ericsammons

ericsammons Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

I've been using my Trezor for holdin BTC/DASH/LTC for a little while with no problems. It's pretty sweet, actually. I can't wait until you can have your Masternode collateral in a Trezor wallet.

One question, however. Is it possible to set up another computer with Electrum-Dash to access my Trezor from other locations? I have it on my home computer, but there are times I'd like to access those coins while I'm at work.

8. GreyGhost

Foundation Member

Thanks. I installed it, but I still do not get how to add DASH to it...

9. Bridgewater

Bridgewater Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

It should be super easy. The trick is...don't try to use the "restore" option, which will prompt for your seed (FYI, NEVER type your Trezor's mnemonics into any computer--EVER--unless your trezor is lost/broken). What you want to do is simply repeat what you did to set up Electrum-Dash with your Trezor on your home computer the first time. Choose "new wallet" and just enter your pin. Electrum-Dash will then get the master public key from the Trezor and rebuild your Dash HD wallet tree from that. It won't actually be a "new" wallet. It is simply another copy of the same wallet that you have on your other Electrum-Dash with your Trezor.

There should be no problem running multiple instances of HD wallets. Just be careful not to use the import/sweep private key function, because those can only be stored on the local computer and won't carry over, as they cannot be determined from your Trezor's seed.

#99 Bridgewater, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  10. Bridgewater

Foundation Member

It is not really 2FA. It is your private key, and it never leaves the device--ever.

The Trezor is an offline computer that holds the private key (mnemonic, more specifically) and signs transactions, which gives the user the advantage of being able to trust any online computer/phone you plug it into. It works similarly to using two copies of Electrum, wherein you are primarily working on your internet-connected computer's Electrum in "watch-only" mode, but when you want to spend, you create a transaction and then bring it over to your offline computer to "sign" the transaction with the private key, then bring it back to the online computer to broadcast.

Trezor basically is a portable offline computer that completely simplifies this process. When you want to spend, it displays the recipient and amount on its screen. This is in case your computer is seriously virused and tries to spend to a different address than the one you input in the recipient field.

The only connection is USB for power and very limited data transfer (impervious to virus or online attacks). it has no battery. No QR code scanning or anything like that. It does not add convenience versus storing private keys on a computer or phone, but it adds significantly more security. You still need a software wallet to buy things, whether on your phone (Mycellium is compatible with it, for BTC.. no Dash unfortunately) or using a laptop or desktop computer with Electrum, myTrezor, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ericsammons

ericsammons Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know!

12. fible1

fible1 Well-known Member

You need to download "Electrum-dash" and then go to "Create new wallet-hardware wallet-trezor" and you're good to go :).

Pablo.

13. fible1

fible1 Well-known Member

You need to download "Electrum-dash" and then go to "Create new wallet-hardware wallet-trezor" and you're good to go :).

Pablo.

14. GreyGhost

Foundation Member

Nope Pablo, all your instructions seem correct but do not work with me :)

It also seems to me that the Trezor I purchased (via Amazon because BitPay did not work with my wallet when I was on Satoshi lab site) did not come with a needed software able to recognize Electrum-dash. I posted this image, what Electrum-dash wallet tells me after I go that route earlier. So I am stuck:

http://s9.postimg.org/9w2v618tr/n00b.png

15. fible1

fible1 Well-known Member

Hmmm, I'm a bit at a loss to be honest. I think we will have to wait for the more tech savvy members to pitch in.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Pablo.

16. Bridgewater

Foundation Member

GreyGhost , I think you are running into problems because you have not setup the Trezor yet. I don't think you can set it up with Electrum. Other users already set it up with Bitcoin before with MyTrezor or the Chrome extension, and that's why they have no problems using Electrum-Dash.

What you need to do is go through the setup process (thoroughly documented on http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/settingup.html). You need to use either MyTrezor or the Chrome extension go through the seed creation process in which you display the mnemonics on your Trezor's screen and write down each word on the included card, just in case you lose your Trezor.

You need to perform this setup first, because the Trezor needs to have those secret mnemonics inside it first before you can build wallets with them. Once you set them up, they do not change, and will be used for ANY type of wallet or software you use with your Trezor, be it DASH, BTC, LTC, or DOGE, with electrum, mycellium, mytrezor, etc.

17. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

maza from mazaclub electrum (Dev) is on DT as well , I tried to tag him but can not find the other TREZOR / electrum thread in the moment

18. GreyGhost

Foundation Member

Thanks! Trezor is set up and is receiving and sending BTC without any problems. Alas, the error pointing me to https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor because the "Trezor device not detected" still pops up, despite Trezor Web Wallet showing up...

• Like Like x 1
  19. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

PC electrum related correct ?
    I just pinged Kot to see if the maza guys can look into that

20. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

did u try that version @flare has ready ?

21. tungfa

tungfa Administrator