• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Trezor for Darkcoin

Anyone tested running a MN through Encompass yet?

Pablo.

Just curious, who is behind Encompass and how reputable are they?

Most will agree that ThomasV is trustworthy, and I'm sure many thousands of BTC are managed with Electrum wallets.
Encompass being a fairly recent project, I can understand if not everyone is jumping at the chance to trust it with masternodes-worth of DASH.

fible1, my understanding is Encompass' current Dash support is limited to basic BTC-like funcionality, no Dash special features like masternode management, IX, or Darksend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, ok, thank you for the feedback.

I really hope that the next feature we incorporate into Dash is 2FA. Currently you either assume a lot of risk of loss or you have to be a security expert to run nodes. I'd buy a bunch more Dash if it was easier to secure.

Pablo.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't run MN on encompass.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't run MN on encompass.
These are the help commands on Encompass:
>> help()

List of commands: check_seed, contacts, create, createmultisig, createrawtransaction, decoderawtransaction, decrypt, deseed, dumpprivkeys, encrypt, freeze, getaddressbalance, getaddresshistory, getaddressunspent, getbalance, getchain, getconfig, getmpk, getprivatekeys, getproof, getpubkeys, getrawtransaction, getseed, getservers, getutxoaddress, getversion, help, history, importprivkey, listaddresses, listunspent, make_seed, mksendmanytx, mktx, password, payto, paytomany, restore, sendrawtransaction, setchain, setconfig, setlabel, signmessage, signtxwithkey, signtxwithwallet, sweep, unfreeze, validateaddress, verifymessage

>>
There's no way to generate a masternode genkey on there, so you're correct, it's not supporting masternodes. It's not supporting Darksend and InstantX either. It's just a lightweight wallet, forked from Electrum, here's their github source: https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass.

You can read more from one of their devs here: https://dashtalk.org/threads/electrum-dark.3845/page-15#post-53171

Thaat sucks, MN with Trezor would have been great.
AFAIK Evan wants to create a command which will give you a key with whixh you can start the masternode without exposing the wallet with the coins. If he will do that there is high probability that we can do that even on trezor...am I right? ;) eduffield?

He gave us some details about it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10693474#msg10693474

I was going to just hack start-many and start-alias to have an option to dump encoded hex with the masternode broadcast. So your cold-wallet could be a non-internet connected computer, you would just boot it up and run "masternode start-many-offline "password", then you would just take the hex dump and paste it into the online computer, like "masternode broadcast-raw encoded-message".

So you'll still need physical access to the box, but it'll be a million times more secure

Using a completely offline network-less computer to sign transactions is already "better than trezor" security. With Trezor, you're still plugging in a physical device with your private key on it into a networked computer's USB port. The offline masternode start implementation Evan is working on will be more secure than using a Trezor, if you do it right.

He gave us some details about it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10693474#msg10693474

Using a completely offline network-less computer to sign transactions is already "better than trezor" security. With Trezor, you're still plugging in a physical device with your private key on it into a networked computer's USB port. The offline masternode start implementation Evan is working on will be more secure than using a Trezor, if you do it right.
Thnx for that, I was thinking exactly about it but could find that.... yep that will be awesome!!!!!

I noticed something about encompass when I ran it with my Bitcoin wallet, it did two things weirdly
1: it was missing a whole coin worth
2: It had made new addresses that were definitely not my trezors

This had led me to believe that it is only somewhat integrated with trezor, the other addresses would just be the softwares and only the pin from the trezor to more or less protect it but not actually hold the private keys to.

I really hope Evan makes that idea a priority, it's too risky to really run a node now without being a security expert. It's a real barrier to adoption

Pablo.

I noticed something about encompass when I ran it with my Bitcoin wallet, it did two things weirdly
1: it was missing a whole coin worth
2: It had made new addresses that were definitely not my trezors

This had led me to believe that it is only somewhat integrated with trezor, the other addresses would just be the softwares and only the pin from the trezor to more or less protect it but not actually hold the private keys to.
I don't think their devs hang out here but you can post the issues on their github site: https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues.
Or maybe ELM4ever can help.

I'd like to report that I ordered a Trezor and have been playing with some funds on the Encompass wallet:

1. Send and receive works great; keys are held on the device (someone asked) and you can not send Dash without the Trezor.
2. The setup was easy but a bit inconvenient to write down 24 seed words, but that's just me being lazy.
3. The wallet is easy to migrate as insalling encomass on any computer and hooking up Trezor will allow you to see your balance and do sends, no more worrying about backups.

Trezor is a lot of fun and very secure. Would any of you guys be willing to get together and offer a bounty to the Encompass guys to add support for Masternodes? I can drop in 100 bucks or so but I figure if a few of us get together we can come up with a decent figure.

This looks to me like the easiest and most secure way to handle Dash currently available.

Pablo.

Hey guys
we are getting good press with the TREZOR integration
but
most of the feedback i am getting (Social Media) is people asking me
how to do it/ guide !

so could anybody please post a Dash - TREZOR guide !!
that would be very very cool !
tx

any word on this? Is any other integration with Trezor underway than the existing (difficult) encompass solution?

any word on this? Is any other integration with Trezor underway than the existing (difficult) encompass solution?

How much integration are you looking for? I highly doubt we will see an "all-in-one" Core wallet that does darksend, governance, masternode management, instantX AND uses hierarchical deterministic addresses and talks to Dash-electrum servers...at least in the pre-Evolution/decentralized API future.

To use a HW wallet, I think you'll have to be satisfied with a separate wallet software. Fortunately, it looks like we will soon have our own version of Electrum, so Trezor users will no longer have to rely on the multi-coin Encompass solution. If Dash adoption picks up, you'll probably see MyTrezor and keepkey's own wallet software supporting Dash directly, too.

The Dash-compatible Electrum client/server implementation was just paid for from the last monthly budget. I hope it will retain some of the cool plugin functionality of Electrum 2, which includes support for Trezor, HW.1/Ledger, and Keepkey. Trezor and Keepkey firmware already support Dash, but I'm not sure about btchip.

hey guys, any one know how to get dash to work on trezor?

I have found this: https://github.com/mazaclub/trezor-mcu

I have followed instructions but i get stuck at this point.

mazaclub/trezor-mcu-build:$FIRMWARETAG (after step 4)
i get this error : No such file or directory

I have tried messing around pointing it to different dirs but to no avail..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back