• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The core wallets of Dash-Bitcoin-Litecoin and the Electrum wallet are reported by microsoft windows antivirus as Trojans/Viruses!

Shall DCG be forced to fix Dashcore wallet so that it will not appear as Trojan in windows defender?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vazaki3

Last edited:
Hi demo!

Before we discuss "forcing" anyone to do anything let's verify your claim. You have not shared sufficient details to do this, so let's vote on forcing disclosure of your methods first ;) Can you please share the following:
  1. Version of Windows and Windows Defender
  2. Version of Dash being flagged by Windows Defender
  3. The specific file it is flagging
The current version of Dash does not trigger any warnings, and the current and upcoming versions of Dash do not trigger any warnings in 83 different antivirus tools on Virus Total. See Dash 0.16.1.1 results and Dash 0.17.0.0-rc3 results. Is it possible you have another app installed that is showing positive? I note this trojan frequently shows up as a false positive for game emulators, particularly Diabo 2 (great game btw)

Hi demo!

Before we discuss "forcing" anyone to do anything let's verify your claim. You have not shared sufficient details to do this, so let's vote on forcing disclosure of your methods first ;) Can you please share the following:
  1. Version of Windows and Windows Defender
  2. Version of Dash being flagged by Windows Defender
  3. The specific file it is flagging
The current version of Dash does not trigger any warnings, and the current and upcoming versions of Dash do not trigger any warnings in 83 different antivirus tools on Virus Total. See Dash 0.16.1.1 results and Dash 0.17.0.0-rc3 results. Is it possible you have another app installed that is showing positive? I note this trojan frequently shows up as a false positive for game emulators, particularly Diabo 2 (great game btw)

I am talking about win10 and the latest version of windows defender.

Please answer questions 2 and 3 as well. I cannot reproduce this with Dash 0.16.1.1 or 0.17.0.0. I suspect you have a virus from another source.

Please answer questions 2 and 3 as well. I cannot reproduce this with Dash 0.16.1.1 or 0.17.0.0. I suspect you have a virus from another source.
I am taking about the latest core wallet that appers in dash.org.

Just download the zipped version of dash core wallet, and without installing it, just scan the zip file by using windows built in antivirus (windows defender), in a fully updated win10 system.

Last edited:
Still cannot reproduce. Scanned both zip file and installer on fully updated Windows 10, see below for result:

1615925863924.png

I agree, this is not the same trojan you initially claimed. The Windows installer for Dash does not contain mining code specifically to avoid triggering malware scanners, but the zip file distribution does contain this code. This positive match is therefore expected - Dash binaries contain mining code, because Dash is a Proof of Work cryptocurrency and mining is a necessary function of the network. Please contact Microsoft if you disagree that mining software should be flagged as malware.

And another snapshot, without litecoin code being around, just in case.

Attachments

• dash virus 2.jpg
    dash virus 2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 148
I agree, this is not the same trojan you initially claimed. The Windows installer for Dash does not contain mining code specifically to avoid triggering malware scanners, but the zip file distribution does contain this code. This positive match is therefore expected - Dash binaries contain mining code, because Dash is a Proof of Work cryptocurrency and mining is a necessary function of the network. Please contact Microsoft if you disagree that mining software should be flagged as malware.

I did received a
Trojan:/Woreflint.Z!cl
warning too. I will try to reproduce the warning.

I think Dash should fix the bug in order to comply to Microsoft reports.
Similar alerts appear also for electrum wallet, litecoin or bitcoin core wallets.

I did received a
Trojan:/Woreflint.Z!cl
warning too. I will try to reproduce the warning.

I think Dash should fix the bug in order to comply to Microsoft reports.
Similar alerts appear also for electrum wallet, litecoin or bitcoin core wallets.

Here you are. I a troyan report now!

dash virus 3.jpg

Can you extract the zip file and scan again, then let me know which specific file is generating it? I still cannot reproduce this.

I already described how mining code is removed from installer binaries to avoid triggering malware scanners. If we remove it from the zip file as well, then Windows users can no longer mine Dash (on any network, including e.g. testnet or devnets). We will not change the Dash consensus algorithm away from PoW to avoid triggering a false positive experienced by a single user on a single platform using a non-recommended installation method.

Can you extract the zip file and scan again, then let me know which specific file is generating it? I still cannot reproduce this.

I already described how mining code is removed from installer binaries to avoid triggering malware scanners. If we remove it from the zip file as well, then Windows users can no longer mine Dash (on any network, including e.g. testnet or devnets). We will not change the Dash consensus algorithm away from PoW to avoid triggering a false positive experienced by a single user on a single platform using a non-recommended installation method.

And what about the windows installer? Is this non recommended too?

See attached image

.dash virus 4.jpg

@strophy It is obviously a false alarm, but this does not mean that the Dash core team should not fix it!

Cryptos should comply with microsoft antivirus, not microsoft antivirus with cryptos.

Tomorrow maybe. I have already rebooted out of Windows to do some other work. However, I note that all of these links generate positives on Virus Total.

Why should DCG fix false positives in Litecoin and Bitcoin? And why should crypto comply with Microsoft scanners, what authority do they have? Did we vote to do this?

Back