• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Technical info/whitepaper about Master Nodes

crowning

I play with the idea of creating a Master Node, but I need some more information to properly evaluate the risks and advantages.
Is there a link to a whitepaper or wiki where the _technical_ aspects are explained, especially how a server running a MN should be sized?

I have basically 2 options to run a server with a MN:

1. at home (I already have a couple of Linux servers running 24/7), state of the art hardware, VERY secure (I work in security), but slowish DSL connection.
  2. rented virtual Linux root-server (also already there and running stable for several years now), average hardware/resources, obviously less secure (that's my MAIN concern), but with Gb-Ethernet connected directly to a large backbone.
Pointers to more information or direct answers are highly appreciated :smile:

crowning

Is there really no information available or was my question THAT dumb (means the information is right in front of my nose but I successfully fail to see it :grin:) that nobody cares to answer?

I think that nobody knows for sure :smile:

I have them in a vps and I haven't seen a lot of bandwith used yet, but I think I remember someone writing something different (I can't remember the discussion, sorry I can't point you there).

The hardware is not very relevant, Evan said a Micro instance at Amazon was enough, so maybe your rented virtual would do. If you go for the split set up you could use your home server for the wallet (it has to be online but I don't think you need much bandwith) and the rented one for the MN.

I think that nobody knows for sure :smile:

I have them in a vps and I haven't seen a lot of bandwith used yet, but I think I remember someone writing something different (I can't remember the discussion, sorry I can't point you there).

The hardware is not very relevant, Evan said a Micro instance at Amazon was enough, so maybe your rented virtual would do. If you go for the split set up you could use your home server for the wallet (it has to be online but I don't think you need much bandwith) and the rented one for the MN.

At least people seem to read my message, thanks :smile:

I'm mostly concerned about the network bandwidth, whether I should think QT-wallet or more like big-pool traffic.

I guess the answer is, as always, somewhere in between...

I'm running a masternode for weeks on a amazon micro instance. The node really does not need much resources.

Back