• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Status Update 7/1/2014

eltito

In the interest of improving communication with the Darkcoin community, we’ve created a new ‘Announcements’ sub-forum at darkcointalk.org. Though permissions to create threads on this sub-forum will be limited to certain key members, anyone is welcome to comment and offer their feedback. Moving forward, it is our intention to disseminate important information from this sub-forum, linking back to it from our various social media presences and other appropriate outlets.

We understand the frustration that several users have expressed in the last few days regarding the lack of new information coming from the development team. Please consider this a step toward addressing the cause of that frustration.

Rest assured that there are some very important things going on behind the scenes. Some of these things are absolutely unique ideas and solutions that, up to now, have not existed in the cryptocurrency community. The development team has, understandably, been hesitant to offer specific details on these features in order to protect Darkcoin’s significant first-mover advantage and reputation for innovation. To put it more directly: we’d prefer to be the first coin to implement our own unique ideas and innovations.

A few people have asked for a more precise look at what RC3 included. Here is the official word:

Implemented with RC3:
  • Added ‘sporking’ logic to turn on/off enforcement of hard forks
  • Fixed Masternode ‘ghost’ issues where Masternodes appeared online, but were not
  • Added cold/hot Masternode setup for secure, offline storage of funds
  • Optimized Masternode communications traffic (removed spam)

Looking ahead...

In the works for RC4:
  • Removal of Masternode payment votes in blockchain
  • Addition of Masternode voting consensus system
  • Live ‘spork’ for enforcing consensus system
  • Anonymity enhancements
  • For a more detailed explanation of the changes to the Masternode consensus protocol, please check out the “New Enforcement Strategy” section in this article: goo.gl/pDG9W3

As we move into RC4, we will engage in a significantly more organized campaign to disseminate information than we have with any previous RC launch.

For a number of reasons, including time demands on the developers following the infiltration of the official mining pool and the fact that extensive changes and optimizations are being written into the Masternode payout election protocol, we expect RC4 to come online sometime in late July.

In regards to Masternode payment enforcement: There have been some talks with Evan about the possibility of implementing code to blacklist pools which haven’t updated. Though it would certainly be possible, such an implementation would significantly detract from the time he requires to implement the actual fix. We believe his time is better spent creating a permanent fix.

In the meantime, we will endeavor to produce a white list of known good pools as soon as possible, and we will continue to ‘out’ known bad actors as best we can. This is where the community can make a significant contribution. Please check out GhostPlayer’s (aka Yidakee) thread here: goo.gl/lD1FGh

As was mentioned yesterday on the bitcointalk thread, there are some very exciting and important things on the table for Darkcoin. We’re in a bit of a lull at the moment, and we’ll be looking at ways to keep the community engaged until some of the inevitable fireworks start up again.

The best is yet to come.

Thanks,
The Darkcoin Team

Addendum: To be clear, the question on everyone's mind in regards to the Masternode enforcement mechanism built into RC3 is, "Why don't we just flip the switch?" The answer is that RC3's enforcement mechanism has caused issues on the network twice now. Knowing that, enabling it a third time in its current state because we're annoyed by some non-paying pools would be quite irresponsible. Instead, Evan has chosen to build a simpler, safer, new enforcement mechanism, to be implemented with RC4. --Chris Rimoldi (eltito)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job Guys! keep up the great work. for such a small group of developers, u guys get a lot done. this idea is bigger then any one entity, and u guys are really keeping pace as best u can with its evolution. hopefully, something has been started that is will grow beyond a scope ever before seen. and i feel comfortable with the people whos hands are nurturing this new born "thing" into life.
- Ganjew

Fantastic read! ... in all my years on the internet (since my first 9600 baud modem), I've never seen a community grow in such a cohesive, organised and professional manner. Top marks!

Nice update, and thanks for the hard work. I think the Darkcoin truely offers something special and can become giant. The only area I feel could use a little love is the press area. This forum will definitely help, but I think developer hangouts on YouTube, giveaways, promotional things, could help build a strong community. I know it is the last thing most developers want to do, but just a suggestion. Thanks for all your hard work.​

So if Evan is building a new switch to be implemented in RC4 and RC4 is planned for end july, does that mean there will be no enforcement until end of july?

So if Evan is building a new switch to be implemented in RC4 and RC4 is planned for end july, does that mean there will be no enforcement until end of july?
Yes. Evan decided he wanted to scrap the RC3 enforcement mechanism in favor of something that did the same thing in a simpler manner.

The choices that left were:
  1. Implement RC3 enforcement in its current form and risk breaking the network again
  2. Write new code to black list blocks from non-paying pool, giving himself sole capability to do so (an option he was not comfortable with, as he felt it gave him too much power), or
  3. Write new code to fix the problem permanently
Options 2 and 3 take a similar amount of time to implement. After he wrote the code for option 2, however, he would have had to start all over again writing the code for option 3. Since that makes no sense whatsoever and Evan is a pretty smart cookie, he just skipped on ahead to option 3.

Edited. I was running on no sleep and misunderstood something I read which snowballed. Total Misunderstanding.

After re-reading the next day, it was refreshing to see that such detailed info is shared amongst the community.

Dark does it again, it pulls me over from an intense mentality to a better mentality :)

1st of all this is my first post, but anyways.

1. You dont mention the fact that users are concerned, or mention the fact that users might be "frustrated"

First sign of a project having serious problems, is when you have to do pr work, and word it like you just have as if some great fire is burning and we need to rush to put it out.

This is a no no, not to mention what it does to anyone that is new the DARKcoin. Instant turn off.

2. You dont give baby details, or play by plays when you develop something. To a non developer, it is scary sh*t. Non developers dont understand that things change 100 times in the background before they see a finished project.

If non developers knew what happened in the background, before a big product launch at most companies, they would sh*t their pants, esp if they have pre ordered something or put a down payment on a product (Tesla model S comes to mind). I know that it doesnt fit in this case 100%, but it is the same idea.

You give soft updates, that are chipper and truthful. You give updates on what you can in "general terms".

Post #10 gives waay too much information on something that will probably change 10 more times before its finalized, and Post #1 contains some text that would scare new people away.

For god sakes, correct this entire post, or delete it and start fresh with general information. Let people know that exciting things are happening, give somewhat detailed information and leave it to when you actually roll something new out, for announcements.

Jeezus.

Other than that. Good job dev team, the coin is coming along nicely.
In the second paragraph he mentions 'frustration' for lack of communication. He doesn't mention 'concerns', but I think that the message goes through quite well without it: We know you are worried because we haven't talked much, we are sorry about that. Here it goes this post to solve that.

I'm not sure why you dislike the post so much, but I think you are asking for too much. First you criticize the need for PR as a sign of serious problems. Then you want to edit some parts because some details may be scary for non developers. You can't have truthful communication and perfect message at the same time!

EDIT: typo

LittleFinger (camosoul?)You certainly hold much more DRK than me and I'll admit I'm envious for that.

I don't think I'm smarter or dumber than anyone here. I don't have enough info and I don't really care about individual people, I care about the project even if I don't hold such a big stake as yours. If you are who I think you are, I usually agree with most things you post and I get that you are worried that eltito 's announcement is not perfect (I also would have preferred the pools not knowing that we are not enforcing until RC4, but they probably had already figured that out already anyway), but Darkcoin has been criticized a lot because of lack of communication and a place for announcements. I believe this is a decent step in the right direction. Communication is not gonna solve the problems we are experiencing and their effect on price. Only solving them will and I trust Evan to do that. Meanwhile it would be great if those with interest help with communication. You have a big interest in Darkcoin, I hope you decide to stay around and post more.

LittleFinger> I like the small details (even if they are far from detailed enough on a development standpoint), but I can understand how it can confuse non-devs.
Maybe there should be the non-dev and dev announcements. I really prefer to know what are the problems (because they explain what I see on my status page for ex), I would really dislike a "Everything is going fine" approach without any detail.

Yeah, that is completely understandable. I've had my coffee, so things are a little calmer here lol.

The Everything is going fine approach is def not a good one, I would never suggest that. I see in very small details, and people often dont understand me, so I guess what I was speaking towards was smaller than most would imagine.

More along the lines of not acknowledging there is user frustration with communication, and just skip right to the communication part. The acknowledging aspect of it, just states that 1. Users are frustrated and 2. An update has to be rushed or given to quell that problem. (I know... very small detail, probably not eve worth mentioning, but Im approaching it from a different aspect than as just a user)

There is more, but I will leave it alone, as again its just a bunch of very small details.

One of the frustrations was with the enforcement switch itself, in regards to making sure everyone knows its only a temp solution and will be killed off as each feature is tested. I have seen some posts similar, but reddit (which most people visit to keep up with DRK I would imagine) needs a very clear and concise explanation of this feature from a-z, why it was implemented, highlighting the fact that it is only temp etc etc.

Like I said, things are calmer here now, hope I didnt offend anyone, I can get kind of intense sometimes.
I don't think you need to apologize for caring. If this forum turns into a hugging festival we won't get things done. Discussion is good. Coffee is also good... I usually use it to pump me up instead of calming, but if it works for you that is great :wink:

elbereth Completely off topic, but thanks for your masternode page. It is kind of comforting to see that if I don't get paid that much it is not because of me :smile:

Hmm. What is your background, LittleFinger (if you don't mind my asking)?

Darkcoin is a development project, yes, and if that were all it was I would agree with you. In standard product development, you'd never see this sort of thing. It's not necessary and it can actually be counterproductive.

But Darkcoin is also a cryptocurrency project and an investment platform. There is a different mindset that comes with both of those groups. Investors and crypto enthusiasts tend to have a low "slick bullshit marketing" tolerance. My concern in that regard was that this message wasn't detailed enough, truth be told. They would like to know that their concerns are being heard, understood and addressed and they would like details.

I absolutely appreciate your feedback and experience, but PR isn't a one-size-fits-all undertaking.

What happened to ninja update Evan, with the enforce button. Where'd that guy go? i liked him.
The market liked him too, he was exciting and promising.

Now we're back to pussyfoot Evan, but read the posts, community wants Evan to grab the network by the balls and pwn it!

Yes, Eltito is concerned with being responsible, but i dont need a baby sitter, i can sell if i dont like what i see. And what about the 500 master nodes, this isnt being too responsible to us.

Pimp-hand means, yes, you may have to back-hand a ho to get her in line. And
Enforce means, yes, youre willing to thug it out to get your way.
The community accepted instamine and closed source darksend. The argument of Evan being too powerful is long since invalid. This is not the time for senator Palpatine anyway, we need a dark Sith Emperor...temporarily.
GEa33qv.jpg

If the price is going to tank, let it tank because of action and not inaction.
Blacklist, back-hand, thug it out...do what you gotta do to reach fully-operational status

What happened to ninja update Evan, with the enforce button. Where'd that guy go? i liked him.
The market liked him too, he was exciting and promising.

Now we're back to pussyfoot Evan, but read the posts, community wants Evan to grab the network by the balls and pwn it!

Yes, Eltito is concerned with being responsible, but i dont need a baby sitter, i can sell if i dont like what i see. And what about the 500 master nodes, this isnt being too responsible to us.

Pimp-hand means, yes, you may have to back-hand a ho to get her in line. And
Enforce means, yes, youre willing to thug it out to get your way.
The community accepted instamine and closed source darksend. The argument of Evan being too powerful is long since invalid. This is not the time for senator Palpatine anyway, we need a dark Sith Emperor...temporarily.
GEa33qv.jpg

If the price is going to tank, let it tank because of action and not inaction.
Blacklist, back-hand, thug it out...do what you gotta do to reach fully-operational status

It's not worth risking the network just to bitch slap some hoes. I hate them too...really really hate them for stealing from me...but it just isn't worth the risk for revenge. I trust Evan.

Network consensus just isn't quite strong enough yet and he isn't 100% happy with the enforcement code. As someone pointed out a week or so ago, a lack of network consensus can break even bitcoin. Patience, young Padawan.

It's not worth risking the network just to bitch slap some hoes. I hate them too...really really hate them for stealing from me...but it just isn't worth the risk for revenge. I trust Evan.

Network consensus just isn't quite strong enough yet and he isn't 100% happy with the enforcement code. As someone pointed out a week or so ago, a lack of network consensus can break even bitcoin. Patience, young Padawan.

I guess you took that literally.... Listen miners arent going to press the 'reduce my profit 20% button' ever, not in time, not next month, it's just not happening. They will update when their rigs stop producing, but they will update.
I think the risk you mention will happen from inaction before it will happen from enforcing (its happening now actually). The only difference will be that we'd have masternodes set up and be in a position to rebuild. We all trust Evan, he's the man, I just want to encourage him to put down this little insurrection without fearing the battle... if he mans up, we got this.

Otherwise end of the month is a loooong way to go from here, a long ways indeed.

Good update. With all the scamcoins muddying the water in Crypto, full transparency is the only way forward.

Evan is a clever cookie, I noticed how he under promised and over delivered on the June 20th update so I wouldn't be surprised if we go live prior to end of July.

Keep up the great work team and we are all here for you if you need help with anything...

Back