• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

you think? I don't !! Its it's heritage!! We are such a minority, at best we get a week of trolling about it, and its business as usually. But sure, give it a twist, but not a big one please!! Love your work!

agree

dash-explained.png

As far as I understand, the D logo will stay the same so I think a lot of your renderings will still apply. If you think about it the former brand Darkcoin is little known outside of the crypto forums so going forward people will just read that D as Dash, it will take sometime to transition, but we will get there.

ether you rebrand or you do not
you would not use an old logo and build a new name/brand around it !
no way, how lame is that
maybe keep the color theme or a 'D' but not this 'D'

It's a good job we're dropping the 'coin' element...

https://who.is/whois/dashcoin.org

Some smart cookie was nearly one step ahead...

Which brings me onto my question, Dash is a pretty common word... How are we going to be able to standardise our web/social media presence without suffixing the Dash name with something? Naturally, dash.com, dash.net, dash.org are all taken...

Walter

Just dropping in to say I love the idea. Most non crypto people that I talk to about darkcoin always have something to say about the name sounding nefarious.

Evan and the Foundation still need to do a research on this as rebranding can bring a negative effect also.

Which brings me onto my question, Dash is a pretty common word... How are we going to be able to standardise our web/social media presence without suffixing the Dash name with something? Naturally, dash.com, dash.net, dash.org are all taken...

Walter

Also:

1. Wouldn't we have patent problems with others who already using DASH name?
2. Wouldn't we have search problems with people trying to search (let say Google) for DASH and getting lot off-crypto garbage?

Walter

I should clarify that I'm supportive of the change! I just think it needs to be fleshed out a little more so that the community can see how it will work in practice.

Walter

Also:

1. Wouldn't we have patent problems with others who already using DASH name?
2. Wouldn't we have search problems with people trying to search (let say Google) for DASH and getting lot off-crypto garbage?

Well, no. Take Ripple for instance. Ripple effect, Ripple band, Ripple merchandise, and apparently even anal sexual toys (ok its on amazon, I just googled and clicked X pages ahead to see what was down there!!)

Point being, google search has Ripple all over the first 10 hits as the crypto thing, not the other stuff. About patents, fernando can chime in, but as long as no intelectual property is violated and the object of commerce/production/service/formula is completely different, there is no problem. There is if its a logo or general branding style

What we probably will have is a DNS problem, so I hope this is taken into account quick!!

It took so much time to mature the identity of darkcoin, why throw it away? In some areas I get the answer to "Why not Darkcoin?" - "Probably it's too new."... After a year of existence. I oppose the rebranding. We can succeed technological with whatever name we got, but we cant mature a brand if we keep changing the name every 12 months. People will just think "yet another shitcoin" and not even noticing that there is so much work and history behind it. My 3 duffs.

It took so much time to mature the identity of darkcoin, why throw it away? In some areas I get the answer to "Why not Darkcoin?" - "Probably it's too new."... After a year of existence. I oppose the rebranding. We can succeed technological with whatever name we got, but we cant mature a brand if we keep changing the name every 12 months. People will just think "yet another shitcoin" and not even noticing that there is so much work and history behind it. My 3 duffs.

The subversive side of me TOTALLY get you and agrees, but we are too far away from mass adoption to have a rebrand harm us. If we rebrand, everyone who already knows us and possibly their mother will still know us for who we are.

I think, specially given IX, that detatching DRK from DS+ will clearly dissasociate us with the dark markets. If they use it, heck, good on us, that's how BTC took off in the first place.

But there is space now for us to conquer, and much bigger now, at a time where BTC's experimental platforms are crumbling.

Stellar was created from dissidence from Ripple. Ripple is shit to the core, Stellar hardly gets noticed because, hey, its... nothing special. We are rightly aligned to gain far more market cap than simple DS+

very vey low fee micro-payments is where its at right now. DS is just a SUPREME added bonus.

A year is still too small of a timeframe to really gauge success and a marketcap of only $18M further proves that. Why limit mass appeal when the existing name is a marketing nightmare? I get the mystery behind the word "Dark" and I've never been one to think of it any differently than just a word, but it's about viewing it from the standpoint of the largest possible userbase out there--if there is negativity to a word, it's a marketing nightmare for mass adoption.

Considering how often it comes up, I've always assumed a name change was inevitable. However, I'm not at all a fan of "Dash". Just sounds like some trendy flash-in-the-pan tech startup (or laundry detergent)--not a serious financial instrument. Not to mention the commonness the word "dash" will have for things like copyright, domain registration, and creating a unique brand identity. I think some serious thought needs to go into it, possibly to the point of consulting a professional marketing firm.

Well, I'm against it. Using the DRK abbreviation would suffice imho wherever Darkcoin cannot be used.

Back