• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

RC4 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt make sense. It was a old wallet backup. It must work when you start RC4... it did work. It generated a new address in addition after i was using darksend+. Wallets are always backwards compatible. You miss the point. I was using probably 50 different coin wallets that are based on bitcoin and never saw this bahavior. So darksend must be exceeding 100 transactions and generating a new private key in the wallet? I did 8 rounds...
That makes sense, if you don't understand I will try to explain.

Each coin has a keypool. Lets take your bitcoin wallet as example. You start the client and create a backup. The wallet contains a keypool of 100 pregenerated addresses.
If you recieve coins these addresses are still in your wallet and in the backup.

But as soon as you generate a new address which is not from the keypool or import a private key, you have to create a new backup. Always. This is not new and was there since bitcoin's early days.

Now, what's new with Darkcoin RC4? The keypool was increased to 1000 keys. Now the first launch of RC4 generates 900 new addresses to your wallet. Obviously these addresses are not in your backups, thats why you need to create a new backup. That's no magic, just a huge amount of new addresses added to the key pool.

I'm doing weekly versioned backups of all my active wallets because I know there is a lot of stuff ongoing I might not be aware of. Do regular updates and you are fine, with or without RC4.

And there is nothing to blame, your backups are of course backwards compatible, they just dont include newly generated addresses.

Might be a good idea to add Auto wallet backup when exiting the program (or after anon is completed) or a pop-up message informing that wallet was changed and a new backup should be created ASAP.

Well, I gave up and killed it, after about 6 hours running at 100%.
The synching got very slow after about block 60.000.
It took about an hour to get there, and processed only about 15.000 blocks in the remaining five hours.

I'm back to 9.12.31 and it runs like it should.
I have the following finding: If the wallet is unencrypted, blockchain download and system load/responsivness on 0.10.12.31 is as good as as with 0.9.12.31 - on Windows 8

May i ask you to test this on Mac OSX and report back? Thanks!

Doesnt make sense. It was a old wallet backup. It must work when you start RC4... it did work. It generated a new address in addition after i was using darksend+. Wallets are always backwards compatible. You miss the point. I was using probably 50 different coin wallets that are based on bitcoin and never saw this bahavior. So darksend must be exceeding 100 transactions and generating a new private key in the wallet.
That makes sense, if you don't understand I will try to explain.
Now, what's new with Darkcoin RC4? The keypool was increased to 1000 keys. Now the first launch of RC4 generates 900 new addresses to your wallet. Obviously these addresses are not in your backups, thats why you need to create a new backup. That's no magic, just a huge amount of new addresses added to the key pool.

Thanks dude. This information is crucial for people they are using live ubuntu cds. Every time you boot you delete everything also your wallet.dat. I have no idea why i did a backup it was 50 : 50 chance to do so, i could shutdown the computer and lost a hell of a coins. I think there will be people finding out if not warned that they still only have a backup with 100 keys and losing there coins. This is lack of information, i dont want to know how much noobs will be out there doing that mistake...

I tried denominate with 0.10.12.31 Wiindows Client.

I put to settings that I want to use Darksend and I want to keep 11 Coins anonymized.

The client made me 6 coins anonymized and stopped the process.

I tried to send 3 of the anonymized coins. It worked fine.

but how to tell the client to fill up the 11 coins again?

on the test wallet I have 31 coins.

So after denomination on .31 version do I have to backup wallets again because once denominated coin will be not seen/recognised by previous backuped wallet???

..................... i could shutdown the computer and lost a hell of a coins. I think there will be people finding out if not warned that they still only have a backup with 100 keys and losing there coins. This is lack of information, i dont want to know how much noobs will be out there doing that mistake...

No emoticon could ever display the utter horror of this potential scenario.

I have the following finding: If the wallet is unencrypted, blockchain download and system load/responsivness on 0.10.12.31 is as good as as with 0.9.12.31 - on Windows 8

Can verify. 0.10.12.31 unencrypted on OSX working fine for me.

Thanks dude. This information is crucial for people they are using live ubuntu cds. Every time you boot you delete everything also your wallet.dat. I have no idea why i did a backup it was 50 : 50 chance to do so, i could shutdown the computer and lost a hell of a coins. I think there will be people finding out if not warned that they still only have a backup with 100 keys and losing there coins. This is lack of information, i dont want to know how much noobs will be out there doing that mistake...
Are you saying you boot an ubuntu live cd to be sure your system is not compromized, putting your wallet.dat into that system and start denominating coins? I see your issue now.

Are you saying you boot an ubuntu live cd to be sure your system is not compromized, putting your wallet.dat into that system and start denominating coins? I see your issue now.
Yes thats mostly it. I think just evan should point it out in the main topic that the key size is increased from 100 to 1000. All people that came from bitcoin to dark dont know that. If you never used darkcoin before Rc4 it doesnt matter. In my case i could not even start recovering anything its a live cd. Im happy i made a backup still dont know why i even did it. Sometimes you just do the right thing. ^^

Always back up, and back up the backups, I guess :)
I have 6 different backups ;) but wanted to know if I have to backp again after denominations... in RC4.... do I risk something if afte denomination I`ll load the wallet.dat which I used in RC3 ver....

Always back up, and back up the backups, I guess :)
I am starting to curse Satoshi for naming the file wallet.dat, as it's basically a keyring plus some metadata.

The wording is misleading and most people don't get that their coins are not stored IN their wallet.dat - just the keys to spend inputs from addresses. If you have the key you own the coin :)

I am starting to curse Satoshi for naming the file wallet.dat, as it's basically a keyring plus some metadata.

The wording is misleading and most people don't get that their coins are not stored IN their wallet.dat - just the keys to spend inputs from addresses. If you have the key you own the coin :)
That's why I have a cronjob running with a python script to backup my wallets to multiple locations.

Hi, I can't confirm, my wallet was never encrypted (my disk is, though)

I have 6 different backups ;) but wanted to know if I have to backp again after denominations... in RC4.... do I risk something if afte denomination I`ll load the wallet.dat which I used in RC3 ver....
I loaded up an rc3 wallet after denominating and got shocked when saw 6drk instead of 1000. Deleted .darkcoin folder but was lucky and didn't empty thrash folder.
Always do your backups after using darksend.

OK thnx.
Just to ask you guys
With RC4 10.12.31 version my wallet goes inactive and uses a lot of cpu power, that in get stability and get inactive again. I can`t even open funcions of it not telling to send coins or what.
is it normal? IMO no.

EDIT: found the problem here: http://jira.darkcoin.qa/browse/DRK-25

Damn. Bought at 12 USD, now price: 1.44 USD :( My thousand turned in to a hundred :(

Why did the price drop so hard? Darkcoin is what Bitcoin should have been. It should be rising not falling.

Edit: Sync is stuck at Block 2500. Using stable build.

Edit2: After restart it continues to sync.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back