• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Create the first DASH gateway on Ripple

6. Some are concerned that the end product is not an open source software product, and there is another proposal that does the "same thing" by a community member and results in an open source software deliverable. Evan even said so.

Yes, this is true. And yet, begging to differ with Evan. These two proposals do not do the same thing. These are complementary projects, and even the other open source proposal owner Akhavr wants both to happen.

This project will result in a functional gateway with support. Akhavr's project will result in software that anybody can use to open a gateway, but how many people will actually do that? And provide support? I don't know. How many Linux users are there? How many Microsoft users are there? Isn't it great that WE COULD HAVE BOTH!

What expands the Dash universe the fastest? Do both.

I won't disagree with your analysis, but my only question is, why it can't be open source?

I won't disagree with your analysis, but my only question is, why it can't be open source?

Their house, their rules. I get and approve of, the benefits of open source projects. But, I also get, and approve of proprietary for-profit ventures. In an open, robust competitive ecosystem, both products can do great things and complement each other. For example, Linux does what it does very very well. And, Microsoft and Apple (love them or hate them) have been pretty successful at the private, proprietary for-profit angle. Linux makes Microsoft and Apple better and more competitive. Apple and Microsoft make Linux better.

Would the world be better off with just Apple? Or just Linux?

Their house, their rules. I get and approve of, the benefits of open source projects. But, I also get, and approve of proprietary for-profit ventures. In an open, robust competitive ecosystem, both products can do great things and complement each other. For example, Linux does what it does very very well. And, Microsoft and Apple (love them or hate them) have been pretty successful at the private, proprietary for-profit angle. Linux makes Microsoft and Apple better and more competitive. Apple and Microsoft make Linux better.

Would the world be better off with just Apple? Or just Linux?

Imo, the world would be a much better place if EVERYTHING was open source. I haven't used MS for many many years and the recent WannaCry virus just re-enforces everything I came to hate about them.

Anyway, I don't discount your other points.

Perhaps the OP would like to comment about their choice of closed source.

Imo, the world would be a much better place if EVERYTHING was open source. I haven't used MS for many many years and the recent WannaCry virus just re-enforces everything I came to hate about them.

Anyway, I don't discount your other points.

Perhaps the OP would like to comment about their choice of closed source.

Breaking news from the proposal owner, and I quote,

"We decided to open source part of the solution since it was so much wanted from the community. If the proposal wont get accepted we would very likely not implement DASH. I hope you see the value and reach we can have with this project."

Apparently, this honest to God open democracy thing works.

Breaking news from the proposal owner, and I quote,

"We decided to open source part of the solution since it was so much wanted from the community. If the proposal wont get accepted we would very likely not implement DASH. I hope you see the value and reach we can have with this project."

Apparently, this honest to God open democracy thing works.

And that most definitely gets my vote! Well done. I just hope we can get the remaining votes in time.

@ggololicic Hey, how are things going. Do you have an update for us?
Hey I apologize for the missing updates. I will update you more often on the project status in the future. Currently we still have some development and testing to do in order to publish this to production. We experienced some delays due to other projects in the pipeline. I can say with certain confidence that Dash will be live on GateHub by the end of August or sooner.

i love ripple technology and believe in its future. I have doubts about ripple as a payment method. It's hard to justify its valuation.

Still great for dash to have this deal done.

Hey I apologize for the missing updates. I will update you more often on the project status in the future. Currently we still have some development and testing to do in order to publish this to production. We experienced some delays due to other projects in the pipeline. I can say with certain confidence that Dash will be live on GateHub by the end of August or sooner.

The end of August has come. Going live today?

Yes. It would be nice if the proposal system had an exit vote to pay 20% for proposals finished on time.
Dont disorientate the people. Coĺlecting likes here, where at the same time an alternative idea in another place also collects likes, this does not help governance at all. Because there is not a link between the alternative ideas , neither we can compare them in order to decide which idea is the dominant one.

You made a comment here, but also please point to the official poll ( which decides about this subject). If you dont do that then you destroy the organization needed for the governence to work and you spread chaos and confusion.
There should be only one place where the decision is made and this place should be the one and only permanent poll which deals with this specific subject. In the absense of an official poll, let us name the first poll that appeared as the official one .
Furthermore, whatever new poll is created that deals with the same subject, the second poll should be merged to the first one so that there is always a single active poll that deals with the subject.
This is how governance works. If you insist of spreading the same info to separate places then people cannot gather all together in a single place, and thus cannot take a community decision..

Last edited:
Well it seems you can trade Dash on Gatehub now. I had created an account when I first reviewed this project and was able to add Dash today.

gatehub-dash.png

Back