• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Operation Bridge the Gap

Would you support "Operation Bridge The Gap"

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • There's already plenty of guides, no need for more.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Ignition75

I'm thinking of organising a crowd funding campaign to commission some people to spend the time and write some professional and helpful guides on the following:
  • An introduction to P2Pool mining.
  • An introduction to masternodes.
  • Which technology to choose for managing masternodes, Windows or Linux?
  • Setting up and running a masternode in Windows.
  • Setting up and running a masternode in Linux.
(Anything else people can think of)

I'm currently seeking expressions of interest, do you think this is a good idea or not? Why?

Thanks

I think this is a great idea !

As for MN's, we need more dummy tech support for Mining !
Centralized mining is the easiest I hear but we need more P2P Miners, well lets explain to the masses how this works and they will use it !
Great initiative Ignite !!! .....>

Edit: as these guides would be needed anyway for DRK Wiki, darkcoin.guide, and as many others as we can find !! ....>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. More guides are always good, but with the code evolving so fast anything will be obsolete in weeks. I think the only viable model is the volunteers one, in which people create their guides and update them because they are amazing :smile:

I am imagining this as "mellow community croudfunding" and in the end you could drop 10 DRK per guide or something !!

I agree that any real funds should be spend on coding !!

If we crowd fund something, we should really fund coders!

For instance, lets rewrite p2pool v2 from scratch with a modern backend. The current p2pool is a pain, a good guide wont help.
Agreed, however Evan mentioned to me about a month ago the Foundation will be responsible for developer income so I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

I asked a few people how much effort a p2pool re-write would be, didn't get any response, perhaps you could have a stab at it vertoe . A guesstimate in terms of how many man days would be required to re-write it from the ground up. This is something we could crowd fund as it would benefit the whole community, so we wouldn't be limited to just the Dark community.

Not sure, a complete rewrite might take some weeks, so I guess at least 10k DRK.
A cheaper approach would be to modify existing solutions such as NOMP to work decentralized like p2nomp.

But lets stop here, if the foundation funds the devs, go ahead with your operation. Sorry for my interruption.

The foundation will fund developers as funds will allow. Right now, there are 1412 DRK and 0.62 BTC from membership fees. As Darkcoin grows, I expect the number will grow and we'll have more funds. We will also look for all kind of revenue streams available. But at this moment, it is not realistic to say that we'll be able to fund the devs in general.

OK let me have a poke around, I didn't know about the darkcoin.guide website when I posted this so I'll try not to re-invent the wheel.

OK let me have a poke around, I didn't know about the darkcoin.guide website when I posted this so I'll try not to re-invent the wheel.

ignite ....>
darkcoin.guide
balu set it up and needs some help getting content !! I can only encourage everybody to help out on this !!
I will do a community "push" next week for this and try to sort out a plan as with this page we can really get all these issues out of the way and public guides / listings/ ... in a very nice presented way !!
more to come , get ready ...>>

ping me if you interested working out a plan

I love the idea of a p2pool rewrite specially if it can encompass nomp.
As for the current vs if the person has a little linux experience its not to bad. There are some good guides out there for setting it up but they take hours to find as most are outdated.

A guide for installing and compiling wallet in arch linux would good guide too not much out there for it, its all ubuntu/Debian related.

Not sure, a complete rewrite might take some weeks, so I guess at least 10k DRK.
A cheaper approach would be to modify existing solutions such as NOMP to work decentralized like p2nomp.

But lets stop here, if the foundation funds the devs, go ahead with your operation. Sorry for my interruption.
A few weeks, is that 1 person doing it?

A guide for installing and compiling wallet in arch linux would good guide too not much out there for it, its all ubuntu/Debian related.

Do you use Yaourt or Pacaur or something else like the mentioned AUR package manages? It's a one-liner:

Code:
$ pacaur -S darkcoin

Or, if you dont use a packagemanager, you can use the PKGBUILD from AUR:

Code:
$ sudo pacman -S base-devel
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/da/darkcoin/PKGBUILD
$ makepkg
$ sudo pacman -U darkcoin-0.10.17.23-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Sorry for going offtopic, but thats all.

+1 for the idea to populate http://darkcoin.guide with content.

Do you use Yaourt or Pacaur or something else like the mentioned AUR package manages? It's a one-liner:

Code:
$ pacaur -S darkcoin

Or, if you dont use a packagemanager, you can use the PKGBUILD from AUR:

Code:
$ sudo pacman -S base-devel
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/da/darkcoin/PKGBUILD
$ makepkg
$ sudo pacman -U darkcoin-0.10.17.23-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Sorry for going offtopic, but thats all.

+1 for the idea to populate http://darkcoin.guide with content.
Yea I use Yaourt, nice I didn't realize it was just a one liner. I seen someone in irc couple weeks ago say it was a pain to build in arch so I didn't even look into it lol. I have a machine that I only run wallets from etc and its ubuntu but it'd be nice to run my wallet from my desktop and now it stinks knowing I could have just done it already. So thanks Vertoe, everyone here is always really helpful one of the reasons why darkcoin is so great!

The foundation will fund developers as funds will allow. Right now, there are 1412 DRK and 0.62 BTC from membership fees. As Darkcoin grows, I expect the number will grow and we'll have more funds. We will also look for all kind of revenue streams available. But at this moment, it is not realistic to say that we'll be able to fund the devs in general.

I assume most of them have at least a few nodes or many more… So eventually, when things really get kicking everyone can fund their activities with profits from running masternodes without having to divest themselves of their original stakes. The devs are always the one's that get the ladies too… Just kidding :)
Like an annuity... When that happens, it will be more a question of who do we fund and how much fun can we have with this great passion of our lives, and increased happiness that we don't have to bother with financial restrictive thinking :)

Back