• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Open Source Idea

Bizmonger

Here's an idea...

Why not open-source the DarkSend feature until a certain milestone is reached.
For example, when 1000 masernodes exist.
Or open-source the feature after the value of DRK hits $50.00.

I think this will encourage additional investments and media coverage.

Here's an idea...

Why not open-source the DarkSend feature until a certain milestone is reached.
For example, when 1000 masernodes exist.
Or open-source the feature after the value of DRK hits $50.00.

I think this will encourage additional investments and media coverage.
Not a good strategy IMO if it's officially announced like that it could be misinterpreted (focused on the value of the coin). Instead it can be announced or implied that the source will be released the xx.xx.xxxx to let the coin have a fair headstart (focused on the coin).

Well the code will be open sourced after RC4 and everything is finished. Not sure what this thread is about.

since I couldnt find a discussion on the new announcement about considering open source for RC5...

What is every ones thoughts? I think it is a good thing.

flare?

Well the closed source is the last argument for all the FUDers, they will suddenly realize Darkcoin is real and working. Good times ahead.

Some coins might copy darksend, but they are probably too late for adoption...

Well the closed source is the last argument for all the FUDers, they will suddenly realize Darkcoin is real and working. Good times ahead.

agreed.. we should not be scared of competition.

since I couldnt find a discussion on the new announcement about considering open source for RC5...

What is every ones thoughts? I think it is a good thing.

flare?
Good of course :)

1) "Security by obscurity" is not a good thing - having the darksend algorithm open sourced opens the gate for peer review and community feedback

2) Having the source in a public repo simplyfies our release process and renders some extra steps i had to apply obsolete

3) One of the main points of critics is removed. Having darksend closed source was aching, but necessary during design process, as it was not complete and attackers could have exploited any vulnerabilities. Going open source expresses our trust in the implementation

4) the documentation of darksend source will vastly improve the days till RC5/open source - code is poetry, but sometimes it needs some commentary :)

Holger

They will find new ones, that's what they do :)

Completely agree about copiers. It is not that easy.

I'm not sure if we are making this too big because the FUDes say it is important. I fully agree that we need to do it, but very few people really care. Those people are really important, but this is not gonna bring thousands of users overnight. Those influencers will look at Darkcoin with different eyes. Then maybe they'll take the time to study it. Then they'll talk about it. Then maybe a big payment processor will get interested. Then maybe one of them will include Darkcoin. And then we are in the path to real adoption.

Back