New website discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015
I know bud I was just saying! :D

I think content is ok to run with and we have copywriters, main thing is design right now.

Awesome anyway, nice one :cool:
Sounds good! And no worries I was being a sarcastic ass :p

I'll get back to you guys in a couple days(don't hold me to it though) with a eyeball friendly version of this baby.

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015
Just working my way through this design and trying NOT to bloat up the code as much as possible since we have so many lean-code lovers around here complimenting the lack of need for JS and such.

I did add 2 JS dependencies for fonts/icons and was hoping to add 2 more for stuff like twitter feed and/or instagram plugins etc.

Still pondering those, I did alter the content a little bit so far to be more marketing-esque and also adding a few new links/suggestions like a community projects page where we feature cool stuff the DGBB has funded in the past and so on and as well as a link to a snapchat feed would be nice if we could show people daily usage of dash here and there on social media platforms imo.

Also wanted to add a subscribe to our email list thing to the home page as long as everyone is cool with that.

Anyways heres a screen shot of what ive changed so far.

View attachment 2405

edit: I also dropped all the icon imagery for icon fonts in an effort to create less image requests which I believe is worth the JS library. We can minify it later and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
Great progress. Despite my usual preferences, I love the business of the header, packed with the info.

Hate sound like a parrot but I must because I'd like us get used to what works best:
-- upper left corner, due to the eyes movement "F" pattern should have a slogan, a tagline beneath the logo (not the place for the language icons these can also be placed in a small drop-down if are using too much space; let us remember - many an user will land to the language pages directly after searching in their native tongue).
Slogans?
a) DASH - Digital Cash
b) Dash - Digital Money for New Generation
c) DASH - Your Money for 21st Century
d) Blistering Speed & Lowest Fees
e) ... let us get something great instead of my placeholder ideas to spark the ideas going ;)

-- IA / Navigation:
a) What is Dash would serve us best as Digital Cash;
b) Investment (all things Masternodes) IMHO should be a prominent, Main Nav, Item);
c) Privacy Sentinel (all things privacy related)

One important feature would be to have these gazillion great sites / social networks you name it that the community is creating "reflecting" on the site. Say, "Dash World" Nav or Sub-nav item that lists, publishes what others are doing. This would be a move toward dash.org being really all things Dash on one place ; with the Forum as sub-folder, it would grow organically in quite a blistering pace and become a force to reckon with.

TroyDASH

Jul 31, 2015
What's the navigation difference between "Participate" and "Community"?

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Just working my way through this design and trying NOT to bloat up the code as much as possible since we have so many lean-code lovers around here complimenting the lack of need for JS and such.

I did add 2 JS dependencies for fonts/icons and was hoping to add 2 more for stuff like twitter feed and/or instagram plugins etc.

Still pondering those, I did alter the content a little bit so far to be more marketing-esque and also adding a few new links/suggestions like a community projects page where we feature cool stuff the DGBB has funded in the past and so on and as well as a link to a snapchat feed would be nice if we could show people daily usage of dash here and there on social media platforms imo.

Also wanted to add a subscribe to our email list thing to the home page as long as everyone is cool with that.

Anyways heres a screen shot of what ive changed so far.

View attachment 2405

edit: I also dropped all the icon imagery for icon fonts in an effort to create less image requests which I believe is worth the JS library. We can minify it later and all that.
That's awesome :) Looks a lot nicer.

Adding JS / fonts is fine, add what you want creatively and we will optimize this later.

Adding email collection at the top is definitely worthwhile. Could be a forum signup for free Dash? (inside the CTA?)

The nav looks good too. The only change to the options I think is adding a 'merchants' nav for onboarding / guiding / help for merchants which someone in UX pointed out to me should be top level - might cause issues with 8 navs though what do you think?

EDIT: one other thing is I took out the titles across the 4 footer link columns, but it's a bit confusing without them - there's a class 'footer-title' can use on a <p> tag that was used before i'm planning to put back later

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
I love that this is moving forward, but I don't like how dense the top of page is getting. I know I suggested the double nav bar with social media and language (and I agree about adding email collection, although I don't see yet how to put it there), but I would move language to the right and make it a drop down. Right now we only have four languages, but when we get more the collection of flags will look like a UN meeting.

As for the main nav bar, if we need an icon and a a tag line for each item, then we don't have the right titles. Of course, everything is more clear now, but it takes too long to get it. And we all wanna add more items, so it will only get crazier. Just on top of my head: AndyDark wants 'Merchants', GreyGhost wants 'Investment' and 'Privacy Sentinel' and I would add 'Support'...

I think we really need to clean up and focus on the essentials. If we are going for a long homepage not everything needs to be up there.

TroyDASH: 'Participate' is about masternodes and mining, participating in the network. 'Community' is about social media, forums, developing. I think you are right about both overlapping a little. Maybe we should just have 'Participate' and rearrange everything inside, specially since we are having social media icons directly in top nav.

I would do the following items on top menu (I won't use specific tittles, just describe them so we can find a word/s later):

1-One about what is Dash and how to get started. Not too deep, for newbies. Maybe it could be all placed in the main part of the homepage and we can take it out from the main menu
2-One about downloading and buying, although I feel really weird without a direct 'Downloads' very easily accessible
3-One about doing things (community, developing, masternodes, mining, accepting Dash...)
4-One for help, support...
5-One for deeper info on the project, maybe it could be merged with help/support if we find the right title
6-One for news

If we put a price ticker somewhere maybe the user can get to market info from there... same thing for hash power/number of masternodes in the network.

Still too many items to place somewhere... I've never liked Apple, but I'm feeling like we should go their way: just one option, 'click here' :)

PS: TheDashGuy you should plug your computer ;)

Reactions: tungfa and kot

kot

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Mar 17, 2015
Sounds good! And no worries I was being a sarcastic ass :p

I'll get back to you guys in a couple days(don't hold me to it though) with a eyeball friendly version of this baby.
Hi TheDashGuy
I would suggest to not work on a new design proposal from scratch. We have some really good graphics already and they need to be simply adopted to the new structure. Let's have a chat about this on Skype (I can explain all the details and provide you with the files)

fernando
In addition to what you wrote, I would change "CURRENCY" to "STATS"

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
Dash Project is an immensely complex, revolutionary undertaking whose understated goal is to initiate a biblical change in the world currently run by the financial crime cartel, centralized, out of control central banks and all the usual suspects that are screwing up humanity on daily basis. Our task - to make Dash widely accepted, or at least recognized at this phase - is massive. Let us not shun the responsibility.

There's a certain seriousness in this project that reflects Evan's personality and his deep thinking. Upon mulling over our website I am leaning toward the content / header / navigation heavy side. The people drawn to the novelty like Dash LOVE to learn. Our current website's analytics tells me that. A bounce rate below 5% (meaning the people come to the website and stay, looking for the answers) is better than on any other site I ever come across. Let us also respect our users' intelligence and ability to navigate the site and "just" make their life (navigating) easier.

Damn I have no clue who to manipulate images - so forgive me this atrocity for it's made in Word - but it may help to convey the message:

Complexity of our competitor ;) @ http://www.federalreserve.gov/ is not something I'd avoid. ( wording in this "mock-up" of mine is not final; I like two rows with icons like in the latest real version buy TheDashGuy )

(NOTE: I am all in favor of a more modern, kick-ass design with equally kick-ass Navigation. But it seems we've taken this course as outlined in AndyDark and TheDashGuy work so let us stick with it, unless we want to spend six more months on this task...)

I use Dash Whitepaper for the guidance fernando (for the Nav items) it is not what anyone wants, it's all about what is Dash all about:

-- Digital Cash;
**** this is basically our marketing along the lines of the last Eric's article published by hobbskevin of The Vanbex;
**** we pounce on the "digital cash" properties with all tools available...
-- Masternode Network MN as bonds thus an "Investment" - it can even be split, one more on tech side:
**** Proof-of-Service
**** Mining
**** Protocol
... all of which can be explained in-depth there
-- Investment
**** 2nd marketing point, you can put $$ and gain
**** how to...
**** how much you can gain
**** services your investment performs in addition to providing you with an interest
... in this section
-- Privacy Sentinel
**** another marketing point
**** all about it...

I would include "Dash World" or "Dash Ecosystem" that would serve as repository of all the community members are doing all over the website.
Search box AND an "advanced search option" are a must. (or at least a search option is a must)

Etc., etc., etc.

Someone must be given a role to decide and than we all have to stick with it....

Reactions: AndyDark

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Hey everyone

Sorry to be a hard ass here but...if you have don't have commercial experience in web design please don't start trying to change the navs and suggest odd things.. there is a whole process behind this and a lot of work gone into it already and if you're not sure of the structure please ask why something is how it is...TheDashGuy knows what he is doing, let him get on with it please, you can't design a web site with 10 clients all with their 'own ideas' that don't necessarily tie in with what actually works with building a site

sorry and thanks :D

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
@AndyDark , @TheDashGuy : since I don't want to dig through all this CSS: what are the official color codes for the pages here?
What I need is:

1. the dark blue at the top where my login-name shows up
  2. the medium blue with the forum navigation
  3. the red line at the bottom of 2. above
  4. the light blue where someone likes a posting
  5. Background + forground for the texts/postings

I'd like to adjust my Masternode stats pages to this color scheme.

Reactions: tungfa

Propulsion

The buck stops here.
Feb 26, 2014
Dash Address
XerHCGryyfZttUc6mnuRY3FNJzU1Jm9u5L
@AndyDark , @TheDashGuy : since I don't want to dig through all this CSS: what are the official color codes for the pages here?
What I need is:

1.) rgb(3,78,143)
2.) rgb(30,115,190)
3.) rgb(208,9,9)
4.) rgb(70,102,123)
5.) rgb(250,250,250)

Here's a trick F12 in chrome will pop up a developer window. Then there is an inspect element button where you can match the colors.

Firefox has it as well. Forgot the button though.

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
1.) rgb(3,78,143)
2.) rgb(30,115,190)
3.) rgb(208,9,9)
4.) rgb(70,102,123)
5.) rgb(250,250,250)

Here's a trick F12 in chrome will pop up a developer window. Then there is an inspect element button where you can match the colors.

Firefox has it as well. Forgot the button though.
F12 too :)

Reactions: flare

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
What I need is:

Hey @crowning theres the colors at the bottom here https://www.dash.org/promotional-graphics/

"Dash blue" is #1c75bc from memory :D

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015
Ok so I just typed out a huge essay and then slide my mouse left and wen't backwards and then forward again to see that the new forum doesn't autosave drafts like the old one, so thats a sad note but anyways here the short version:

I value everyones opinions but I should have known not to show such a rough draft of the design, sorry everyone. I have only worked on this thing for like 1.5 hours out of the 20-30 needed to get it looking professional and usable. I will PM updates to people with requests for feedback such as @GreyGhost @fernando @kot @hobbskevin and will still do whatever I feel is right, as thats my job as the designer here but at the same token I don't want anyones to feel left out.

I just don't want to keep up with everyones amazing ideas. ;]

Let me slam my fingers at my key board for a week and we'll see what this turns into, we can always revert to Andys first design and start over, i'll just do my thing and see how it plays out and post MAYBE 2-3 updates along the way, as opposed to daily/every other day like I had hoped just to keep everyone entertained, as it might be more counterproductive than it's worth. Because like @AndyDark said, it's impossible to please everyone, and I do know what I'm doing :] If you have ideas, please feel free to share them but let's not act like I don't know how to apply the right colors or branding to this thing people :D

BTW: @fernando I have a bug report, the auto save feature sucks! ;]

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Few people asked me to reply to the various proposals here especially GreyGhost - irst time was the backend update (fair enough). Then just now i clicked the profile dropdown and it redirected and lost my post. ironically writing about UX. So apologies here if i'm blunt but already spent way too much time on this and i got out of the web industry for the very reason something about building websites, everyone thinks they are an expert just because they use websites - you wouldnt go to a car mechanic and tell them how to repair it right? nope. but websites...just a nightmare.

GreyGhost - SEO does not define the content structure and it's being blown way out of proportion here in terms of the importance it has and this needs to stop. You're proposed nav structure is breaking basic UX patterns which are the main thing dash.org needs - you're an SEO guy, i'm a UX guy, TDG is a design guy - lets try to stick to our roles and work together. Sorry, but people are arguing about this, just analyze the build and suggest your SEO and lets work together to achieve that together please?

Everyone else - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

FYI this is the structure behind the last proposal...if you have experience in this and want to improve it just edit the code like TDG is doing

ok, thanks. let's please work together as a team. and long live DASH!!! :D

Last edited:

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Ok so I just typed out a huge essay and then slide my mouse left and wen't backwards and then forward again to see that the new forum doesn't autosave drafts like the old one, so thats a sad note but anyways here the short version:

I value everyones opinions but I should have known not to show such a rough draft of the design, sorry everyone. I have only worked on this thing for like 1.5 hours out of the 20-30 needed to get it looking professional and usable. I will PM updates to people with requests for feedback such as @GreyGhost @fernando @kot @hobbskevin and will still do whatever I feel is right, as thats my job as the designer here but at the same token I don't want anyones to feel left out.

I just don't want to keep up with everyones amazing ideas. ;]

Let me slam my fingers at my key board for a week and we'll see what this turns into, we can always revert to Andys first design and start over, i'll just do my thing and see how it plays out and post MAYBE 2-3 updates along the way, as opposed to daily/every other day like I had hoped just to keep everyone entertained, as it might be more counterproductive than it's worth. Because like @AndyDark said, it's impossible to please everyone, and I do know what I'm doing :] If you have ideas, please feel free to share them but let's not act like I don't know how to apply the right colors or branding to this thing people :D

BTW: @fernando I have a bug report, the auto save feature sucks! ;]
wow - you're posts deleted too! you're a lot more diplomatic than i am :D

EDIT: apologies people for not being diplomatic. it's late here and this is stressing me out, annoyed Evo has been delayed, SORRY :D

Reactions: TheDashGuy

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015

I always have a print-out of that and http://web.mit.edu/manoli/mood/www/mood02.jpg on the wall of my office to remind me of the good ol days lol.

And I have already added merchants to the navigation and combined community and participate by making participate a drop down under community.

I might add in a 3rd nav area that only appears on certain pages that need it.... we'll see how that plays out.. @AndyDark & @kot be on the lookout for some PM'ms from me this week and yea @kot we can chat and I'll gladly take your graphics with no promise on using all of it.

edit: We'll get there folks, don't worry.

Tree-swing-cartoon-full-size.jpg

Last edited:

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
GreyGhost - SEO does not define the content structure and it's being blown way out of proportion here in terms of the importance it has and this needs to stop. You're proposed nav structure is breaking basic UX patterns which are the main thing dash.org needs - you're an SEO guy, i'm a UX guy, TDG is a design guy - lets try to stick to our roles and work together. Sorry, but people are arguing about this, just analyze the build and suggest your SEO and lets work together to achieve that together please?
Disclaimer: I am not being smart-ass or sarcastic. I want to make my point in a succinct way. I feel this remark is needed given the emotions recently erupting all over the place ;) <-- this shows I am in good spirits and my message is in bona fide of cooperation.

So @AndyDark you put me in my place as someone who has no say about UX or design and is confined within that idiotic term "SEO" no matter what it really entails. Fine. So what am I to say? If the proposed structure means it would go, say:
https://www.dash.org/ and than
https://www.dash.org/participate/ and
https://www.dash.org/participate/setup-masternode/
etc.
what term am I "optimizing"? Perhaps "participate"?

Well, you do not need me to pontificate that no one who searches for an info about "masternodes" and / or "cryptocurrencies" would ever google for "participate." That stays for the rest of the Main Nav Items. I am not inventing things, I use Dash White paper & Evolution related papers as guidance that emphasize crypto-currency, Masternode Network, Privacy (currently DarkSend which seems to be changing the name), InstantX and than Budget (Governance) and Social Wallets.

I keep repeating that our key features should be at the forefront. A "privacy-centric" currency key feature - privacy - is buried as "privacy focus and featured vendors" in the proposed structure. I plan to contact 100s of journalists and human rights activists all over the world, in order to start stealth marketing of our benchmark feature (privacy) and what I am going to show? Where is that feature I am rhapsodizing about? Next to the vendors?

I also plan to contact investors to show them Masternode as an Investment Opportunity. Not a single item tells us about MN as an investment. (it is perhaps under "Masternode Benefits" but I can't know that ATM). So, where is the feature I am promoting?

So, I still think a new structure as proposed might not present the spirit and main features of Dash Project in the best possible manner. Luckily for all involved I am the guy who stated numerous times, from my SEO book to every "real world" client willing to listen over two decades of dealing with design, IA, UX, IM and SEO, that the biggest secret of "SEO is that you do not need it," so I can live with the structure I strongly disagree with.

I am here to help not to make anyone's life more difficult. I know how much work and energy gets into a project like this one and the last thing I would like to do is to miff a person working so hard. I stated my position so many times, starting with the SEO audit and was told to shut up enough times to get the message :)

If you need me, you know where to find me.

Reactions: AndyDark

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
@GreyGhost - yeh the proposal is only top level it doesn't have the sub pages in - where there are the CTAs / buttons some of those would link to a sub-page, e.g. masternode investment would be 'participate' -> 'setup a masternode' (or 'learn more') -> masternode subpage - which would be on search optimized URL like dash.org/invest-in-a-masternode or whatever, and i already said you should setup that structure.

EDIT: @GreyGhost I just saw you on the team Slack actually, why don't we just chat there it's a lot quicker :)

Last edited:

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Update: I just had a Skype with GreyGhost after finding him on Slack...he's actually a really interesting guy with a lot of different experience and knowledge he's bringing to Dash. Mostly we talked about marketing which i feel like i'm in tune with and building a Dash micro-economy with end-to-end privacy with services that are actually useful for us as Dash users. SEO is a pretty minor task compared to what he's doing in other areas and he's kind of wasted on this - just shows talking is so much better to how these forums work sometimes and seems like everyday now i'm meeting new Dash people (new to me anyway) all of whom are extremely smart cookies which I think is the key to any project like this (including Yidakee I just met today too :))...anyhow, we will move forward with TDG and get this site moving so we can get the new version up soon as possible :)

Andy

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015
Update: I just had a Skype with GreyGhost after finding him on Slack...he's actually a really interesting guy with a lot of different experience and knowledge he's bringing to Dash. Mostly we talked about marketing which i feel like i'm in tune with and building a Dash micro-economy with end-to-end privacy with services that are actually useful for us as Dash users. SEO is a pretty minor task compared to what he's doing in other areas and he's kind of wasted on this - just shows talking is so much better to how these forums work sometimes and seems like everyday now i'm meeting new Dash people (new to me anyway) all of whom are extremely smart cookies which I think is the key to any project like this (including Yidakee I just met today too :))...anyhow, we will move forward with TDG and get this site moving so we can get the new version up soon as possible :)

Andy
@AndyDark and @GreyGhost don't worry about SEO yet, I can do much of what Greyghost is going to point out and might just need some help towards the end when we really go full-seo on this design.

Let's get through the design phase first though people! ;]

TheDashGuy

Dec 16, 2015
Just wanted to upload a screenshot for anyone who hadn't seen it on Slack.

Still a work in progress of course, I have a few ideas I really would like to pursue like having a nice video of a person using Dash on thier phone to buy something or something similar to that idea as the main background of the header behind the text that is there.

None of this is by any means finalized nor has anyone approved anything, nor have I had a chance to video chat with @kot and get core teams input and what they would like out of this project.

With all that being said, I made a few tweaks to @AndyDark's original design so far on my own accord.

A lot of the stuff I am not showing because its just temporary and I don't feel like it would do any good so heres the one that matters, the upper area EVERYONE sees when they land on Dash.org:

dashorgscreen.jpgdashorgscreen2.jpg dashorgscreen3.png

I am starting to think this website needs to be designed for, first and foremost, the businesses and users using Dash for their first couple months, so we can hold their hands until they've successfully grasped Dash and how to integrate it with their business models, customers, daily routes and such as well as show users why Dash is a perfect investment, savings account, bank account, form of payment, currency and so on and so forth and provide quicklinks to exchanges, wallets, digestible Dash information and news related to users.

The rest of it can be 1-2 clicks away, meaning under dropdown menus, in the footer (which has had some 'improvements' as well), or in sub-links under areas with other similar information. (this would make sense if you saw how I am adding in links beneath videos & Images etc) If we add too much to the navigation and keep making it more complex, we're not really doing our job of simplifying "what Dash is" to the average user.

If we EVER need to show someone the whitepaper, we failed. We should have every important piece that makes Dash amazing and basically have landing pages dedicated to selling those points.

We have a long ways to go, ALOT of content to write, but I feel like if I get off my ass and get together with some of the other team members, get some feedback from the community and then spend wayy too many hours on this thing, we could honestly have a very awesome website...

PS; Who is good at recording videos? I want a 20 second video of someone using an iphone or an android phone to buy something (close up on the hands & phone if possible) but I want it to look professional, and not to be rushed, as it would be the main video being shown on dash.org hopefully.

Oh and, don't go freaking out about anything like the ugly red buttons, everything is still in flux! Just what do we think about the navigation? Is it simplified enough yet? Is something missing? Etc. Be helpful, not hurtful! ;]

@GreyGhost Do you have a url structure I should be using? Other input?
@kot whos a good writer?
@AndyDark thoughts so far?
@Raptor73 Whatsup with some graphical dopeness, I know you have some cool stuff hidden out..
@salmion / @darkwing / @tungfa Can I has those icons please? I'll send over the "ok" from the original author if you guys would like, stop hiding out with them though! ;[
@fernando See anything missing/ bothering you?
@Everyone Why is this red so ugly?

Last edited:

fernando