• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

NEW MEMBERS: Welcome to Dash! Introduce yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone my name is Alex Eaton, I live in San Antonio Texas, and run the SanAntonioCyrptoNetwork the bitcoin meetup here and the B-Libre Podcast on soundcloud. I have been following Dash for over a year now, and have mined about 200 coins. Was interested in being part of a master node. I could grab another 800 to do it on my own but I though this would be a good opportunity to join in the forums and say hi
Hey! Good to see you! Glad to hear we're attracting attention. Good luck with your MN share! Feel free to ask splawik21 any Q's you have, he's a great guy..

HI All
I'm new to Cryptocurrencies in general but am interested in their potential. And after having looked through the Crypto's that have been widely adopted, Darkcoin/Dash is the one that interests me the most.
I would like to get involved in the project somehow, maybe by expanding the eco-system somehow.... Very excited about this tech and the future for it.

Look forward to talking to everyone.

Dr London

Hello. A question to start with: Is Dash built on the Bitcoin blockchain, or does it use it's own, and why?

I've been writing an editing about cryptocurrencies for about a year and a half (through Let's Talk Bitcoin, CoinTelegraph, and working with authors privately), and I haven't taken any real personal interest in altcoins until now. The more I learn about Dash, the more intrigued I am about the problems it solves compared to Bitcoin. I've begun to move some of my holdings into Dash, with the goal of getting up to masternode level.

Why have Bitcoin just sitting there, hoping its value will go up rather than down, when I can put dash to work passively earning more dash? So much about Dash (paid nodes, distributed governance, fungibility and privacy protection, transaction speed) seems like the way to go.

Cheryl
NY

Welcome
nice to see your interest !

BTC has its own blockchain
and so do we

Hello. A question to start with: Is Dash built on the Bitcoin blockchain, or does it use it's own, and why?
Cheryl
NY
Hi, I will answer this as short as possible (although I am not a developer btw)
Dash has it's own unique blockchain as does vitually every coin, the confusion arises I believe is because Dash is a fork of bitcoin, meaning it uses the same basic core program (on github) as a scaffold and then builds on top of that with advantages such as compatability and protocol matching but the coins themselves are not compatible with bitcoins as such. (an example of a coin that is not a fork of bitcoin is cryptonote)
Where Dash leaps into it's own is with the secondary masternode network operating on top of the dash blockchain network, we call this a 2-tier network, the masternode network is unencumbered by the usual slowness of the normal blockchain such as 2.5 minutes per block updates (10 minutes for bitcoin).
As an example how quick this is, we have been testing flooding the instantX transactions into the testnet blockchain and I managed 340 transactions within minutes, the instantX function is unique to Dash and can not easily be copied unless a strong network exists to support it (bitcoin is becoming congested with too many transactions resulting in long confirmation times and offers few immediate solutions, and could get worse with the bigger block sizes proposed)

So basically, the secondary network takes the load off the primary blockchain network allowing it to run more efficiently, as an example, the Dash wallet updates very quickly and this is because the masternodes seed the wallet download and keep the network fast and stable.

I've been writing an editing about cryptocurrencies for about a year and a half (through Let's Talk Bitcoin, CoinTelegraph, and working with authors privately), and I haven't taken any real personal interest in altcoins until now. The more I learn about Dash, the more intrigued I am about the problems it solves compared to Bitcoin. I've begun to move some of my holdings into Dash, with the goal of getting up to masternode level.

Why have Bitcoin just sitting there, hoping its value will go up rather than down, when I can put dash to work passively earning more dash? So much about Dash (paid nodes, distributed governance, fungibility and privacy protection, transaction speed) seems like the way to go.

Cheryl
NY
I'm going to assume by your name that you are a girl, so I'm happy to see that, We need more females in crypto, to keep us fellas honest... Tell your friends! :tongue:

Hi, I will answer this as short as possible (although I am not a developer btw)
Dash has it's own unique blockchain as does vitually every coin, the confusion arises I believe is because Dash is a fork of bitcoin, meaning it uses the same basic core program (on github) as a scaffold and then builds on top of that with advantages such as compatability and protocol matching but the coins themselves are not compatible with bitcoins as such. (an example of a coin that is not a fork of bitcoin is cryptonote)
Where Dash leaps into it's own is with the secondary masternode network operating on top of the dash blockchain network, we call this a 2-tier network, the masternode network is unencumbered by the usual slowness of the normal blockchain such as 2.5 minutes per block updates (10 minutes for bitcoin).
As an example how quick this is, we have been testing flooding the instantX transactions into the testnet blockchain and I managed 340 transactions within minutes, the instantX function is unique to Dash and can not easily be copied unless a strong network exists to support it (bitcoin is becoming congested with too many transactions resulting in long confirmation times and offers few immediate solutions, and could get worse with the bigger block sizes proposed)

So basically, the secondary network takes the load off the primary blockchain network allowing it to run more efficiently, as an example, the Dash wallet updates very quickly and this is because the masternodes seed the wallet download and keep the network fast and stable.
I didn't know that "the masternodes seed the wallet download", how? ... Is this true, UdjinM6 ?

I didn't know that "the masternodes seed the wallet download", how? ... Is this true, UdjinM6 ?
Kind of :smile:
Just like any other full-node peers masternodes seed blockchain to their peers. And since masternodes have way better upload bandwidth then an average home user has it's quite probable that they are selected as preferred peers for your wallet to sync. Also unlike other full-node peers most of them are always online so connection should be more stable and you should have no timeouts for reconnects etc.
So, we have ~3000 nodes with better bandwidth and better connectivity literally all around the world. Yes, I guess this should help our wallet to sync faster. :rolleyes:

Just like any other full-node peers masternodes seed blockchain to their peers. And since masternodes have way better upload bandwidth then an average home user has it's quite probable that they are selected as preferred peers for your wallet to sync. Also unlike other full-node peers most of them are always online so connection should be more stable and you should have no timeouts for reconnects etc.
So, we have ~3000 nodes with better bandwidth and better connectivity literally all around the world. Yes, I guess this should help our wallet to sync faster. :rolleyes:
Ah.. I see... Thanks for this explanation, it makes sense... Bookmarked so I can refer this post to other newbies later :)

Sub-Ether thank you too :)

While we're on the subject of seeding, can you clear something up for me, if there are ~6500 seed nodes for bitcoin and around 60,000 bitcoin full clients at any one time, how is a seed node selected, is it by lookup table and why are the normal full clients not included in the global map?

While we're on the subject of seeding, can you clear something up for me, if there are ~6500 seed nodes for bitcoin and around 60,000 bitcoin full clients at any one time, how is a seed node selected, is it by lookup table and why are the normal full clients not included in the global map?
I don't think I understand your question...
There are ~6200 full nodes in bitcoin right now https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/
"Full nodes" means they have blockchain from block 0 and up to current one (unless they use pruning but still introduce themselves as a full node, which might be the case since Bitcoin 0.11 was released). There are no other 60,000 "full clients" there imo, only SPV clients. And I'm not sure what "global map" you are talking about too...

So, how it works in general: wallet with no peers uses so called "dns seeds" (nodes that are hard coded into the wallet) to get list of peers from it at the first time it connects to network. Next step - it tries to connect to one of them, ask that new peer for its list and repeat until it has enough connections (8 by default).
In Dash most of peers are MNs, most live connections are connections to MNs I believe and it's highly probable that new wallet will get at least few MNs as its new peers. But that's not all. Wallet will also ask for MN list (if it wasn't run in "litemode") and will add contents of this list to peers list too, so again, once some connection is down it's highly probable that the next one will be to some random MN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back