MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
WELCOME TO MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON SAME PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES!
This wonderful guide was created by Moli in response to a query for a way to have multiple wallets on the same PC. Thanks, Moli!

Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder.

Name it "MyDarkcoin1"

Create another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".

Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.

Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.

Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.

Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".

Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.

In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"

In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Note: Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:

Double-click on the shortcuts.

The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.

You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder.

Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.

I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Awesome.

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
Shouldn't this be under Wallet Guides (and NOT MN's) ?
Well done Poli + Tao

Reactions: moli

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Shouldn't this be under Wallet Guides (and NOT MN's) ?
Well done Poli + Tao
LOL.. @"Poli" ... I think Tungfa is talking about Jennifer Aniston in "Along Came Polly", great movie. :D

Reactions: tungfa

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
Why is it so difficult to append the -datadir arguments to wherever you place the directories? While things aren't 100% the same cross platform, the idea is the same. If you know how to copy and paste, create links/shortcuts, then you can easily replicate on whatever OS you are currently using.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Why is it so difficult to append the -datadir arguments to wherever you place the directories? While things aren't 100% the same cross platform, the idea is the same. If you know how to copy and paste, create links/shortcuts, then you can easily replicate on whatever OS you are currently using.
Coingun said the same thing and he's not going to make this guide for Linux... LOL
I'm laughing but it's not funny here...
LOL

recan86

Jun 8, 2014
I guess when it comes to money it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I mean it's totally common for the most basic user would know how to do this. I mean when I learned how to drive I also learned how to time the engine and take the fuses out of the car. Pretty simple really ... Right. LOL

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
I guess when it comes to money it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I mean it's totally common for the most basic user would know how to do this. I mean when I learned how to drive I also learned how to time the engine and take the fuses out of the car. Pretty simple really ... Right. LOL
LOL

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
As long as you have backups of your wallet (be it private keys on paper or multiple digital copies of the dat file), you can't lose money.

Alexy

Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Oct 29, 2014
Fantastic~this really is a useful guide~ moli i took the liberty of translating this article into Chinese:tongue:. hope that's fine~

Reactions: tungfa and moli

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Fantastic~this really is a useful guide~ moli i took the liberty of translating this article into Chinese:tongue:. hope that's fine~
Yes, it's absolutely fine. Thank you so very much for translating it into Chinese! We need it.

If you have a DRK address please post it here or pm me. I'd like to send you a tip. Thank you! :)

Alexy

Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Oct 29, 2014
Yes, it's absolutely fine. Thank you so very much for translating it into Chinese! We need it.

If you have a DRK address please post it here or pm me. I'd like to send you a tip. Thank you! :)
:eek:The first time ever i get a tip...What a memorable day... hahaa. it's really my pleasure to translate article like this^^ I have just updated my signature. It's in it~ Thank you, moli:D

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
:eek:The first time ever i get a tip...What a memorable day... hahaa. it's really my pleasure to translate article like this^^ I have just updated my signature. It's in it~ Thank you, moli:D
Sent via InstantX!
Thanks again! :)

Status: 5/confirmed (verified via instantx), broadcast through 38 node(s)
Date: 3/6/2015 10:10
To: Alexy XnJz6tPVcrNogM4jG41BKauSYcUi3ZTyBw
Debit: -3.00 DRK
Transaction fee: -0.01 DRK
Net amount: -3.01 DRK
Transaction ID: ca49328654c24a1a62f565c8b6ea0f036465f6ef85a938fbbf5f36657b584668-000

Reactions: tungfa and Alexy

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
WELCOME TO MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON SAME PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES!
This wonderful guide was created by Moli in response to a query for a way to have multiple wallets on the same PC. Thanks, Moli!

Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder.

Name it "MyDarkcoin1"

Create another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".

Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.

Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.

Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.

Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".

Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.

In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"

In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Note: Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:

Double-click on the shortcuts.

The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.

You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder.

Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.

I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Awesome.

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
tx moli
that is great

I try to push the wiki (foreign languages) forward as i am using that for PR these days
('pretending' we are talking over the world already, which we are :D)

shane1901

Feb 16, 2017
Hi,

I'm following these instructions and both wallets are working and have their own block chain etc. but they are somehow sharing the same configuration settings. When I change settings of one and then open the second wallet, that wallet is using the same settings. I change the them for one and they both change to the same theme Any hints? I have separate program files directions and separate roaming directories specific shortcuts pointing to the data directory.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
There's a "guide" for this?

[facepalm]

I'm concerned that someone hopelessly clueless about how to computer will fuck this up and lose everything. If you're so clueless than you actually need a guide for this, then you just plain shouldn't be messing with it. It's just copying files and setting cli directives... Don't do this with your money if you've never done it before and have no idea whats going on... It's just too important for this to be the way you practice and learn.

There is such a thing as being so dumb that you're a danger to yourself and all around you...

Practice, learn and get a clue on something less valuable than your DASH wallet(s). Then come back.

Last edited: