• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES

TaoOfSatoshi

WELCOME TO MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON SAME PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES!
This wonderful guide was created by Moli in response to a query for a way to have multiple wallets on the same PC. Thanks, Moli!

Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder.

Name it "MyDarkcoin1"

Create another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".

Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.

Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.

Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

upload_2015-2-18_12-39-39-png.1019

upload_2015-2-18_12-52-31-png.1021

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.

Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".

Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.

In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"

In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

upload_2015-2-18_12-42-44-png.1020

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Note: Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:

Double-click on the shortcuts.

The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.

You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder.

Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.

I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

upload_2015-2-18_12-57-8-png.1022

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

upload_2015-2-18_13-2-0-png.1023

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Awesome.

Shouldn't this be under Wallet Guides (and NOT MN's) ?
Well done Poli + Tao

Why is it so difficult to append the -datadir arguments to wherever you place the directories? While things aren't 100% the same cross platform, the idea is the same. If you know how to copy and paste, create links/shortcuts, then you can easily replicate on whatever OS you are currently using.

Why is it so difficult to append the -datadir arguments to wherever you place the directories? While things aren't 100% the same cross platform, the idea is the same. If you know how to copy and paste, create links/shortcuts, then you can easily replicate on whatever OS you are currently using.
Coingun said the same thing and he's not going to make this guide for Linux... LOL
I'm laughing but it's not funny here...
LOL

I guess when it comes to money it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I mean it's totally common for the most basic user would know how to do this. I mean when I learned how to drive I also learned how to time the engine and take the fuses out of the car. Pretty simple really ... Right. LOL

I guess when it comes to money it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I mean it's totally common for the most basic user would know how to do this. I mean when I learned how to drive I also learned how to time the engine and take the fuses out of the car. Pretty simple really ... Right. LOL
LOL

As long as you have backups of your wallet (be it private keys on paper or multiple digital copies of the dat file), you can't lose money.

Fantastic~this really is a useful guide~ moli i took the liberty of translating this article into Chinese:tongue:. hope that's fine~
Yes, it's absolutely fine. Thank you so very much for translating it into Chinese! We need it.

If you have a DRK address please post it here or pm me. I'd like to send you a tip. Thank you! :smile:

Yes, it's absolutely fine. Thank you so very much for translating it into Chinese! We need it.

If you have a DRK address please post it here or pm me. I'd like to send you a tip. Thank you! :smile:
:eek:The first time ever i get a tip...What a memorable day... hahaa. it's really my pleasure to translate article like this^^ I have just updated my signature. It's in it~ Thank you, moli:grin:

:eek:The first time ever i get a tip...What a memorable day... hahaa. it's really my pleasure to translate article like this^^ I have just updated my signature. It's in it~ Thank you, moli:grin:
Sent via InstantX!
Thanks again! :smile:

Status: 5/confirmed (verified via instantx), broadcast through 38 node(s)
Date: 3/6/2015 10:10
To: Alexy XnJz6tPVcrNogM4jG41BKauSYcUi3ZTyBw
Debit: -3.00 DRK
Transaction fee: -0.01 DRK
Net amount: -3.01 DRK
Transaction ID: ca49328654c24a1a62f565c8b6ea0f036465f6ef85a938fbbf5f36657b584668-000

WELCOME TO MOLI'S MULTIPLE WALLETS ON SAME PC GUIDE FOR DUMMIES!
This wonderful guide was created by Moli in response to a query for a way to have multiple wallets on the same PC. Thanks, Moli!

Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder.

Name it "MyDarkcoin1"

Create another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".

Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.

Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.

Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

upload_2015-2-18_12-39-39-png.1019

upload_2015-2-18_12-52-31-png.1021

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.

Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".

Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.

In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"

In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

upload_2015-2-18_12-42-44-png.1020

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Note: Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:

Double-click on the shortcuts.

The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.

You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder.

Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.

I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

upload_2015-2-18_12-57-8-png.1022

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

upload_2015-2-18_13-2-0-png.1023

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Awesome.

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Back