Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Masternode Payments and Beyond

Discussion in 'Official Developer Thread' started by eduffield, May 27, 2014.

1. eduffield

eduffield Core Developer
    Dash Core Team Moderator

As most of your are aware, there was a critical problem with the masternode payments system yesterday that caused the network to fork into many smaller networks and caused a great destabilization. This was either due to an intentional attack on the network or an issue with the masternode payments system, in either case we have a solution for masternode payments that will be safe for the network in the future.

Once we learned the exchanges were on different forks, it was too late to do a proper fork in the future so we opted to fork immediately. The network updated rather quickly and stability was restored within a few hours.

Prognosis of the network

At this time the network is healthy and has been on the same chain since the event. We’ve reached out to every pool and exchange and no funds were lost during the event.

No More Forks

Beyond this point we will not need to hard fork the network to implement the rest of DarkSend features. This is an example of why hard forks are dangerous and we want to avoid them in the future.

Masternode Payments

We’ve wanted to increase masternode payments to 20% for a few weeks now, but have not been able to since the code was already going through the testing and launch stages. This will give us an opportunity to add greater incentive to secure the network and run masternodes.

Before moving onto RC3, the next version of Darkcoin will now include the masternode payment system (with 20% payouts). The method we’re going to use for masternode payments is not critical and can’t cause a hard fork so it should be rather quick to implement, scheduled for June 14th.

Some users in the forums brought up issues with how we planned on implementing masternode payments without a hard fork. We've decided the community is correct and will be using the same model as before to implement the hard forks.

Release Candidate 3

DarkSend RC3 will include a greatly improved anonymity model and support for multiple “tickets” per masternode.

After completing masternode payments, over the next few weeks I’m going to be working with the core darkcoin team to establish a full fledged development team to help with Darkcoin and DarkSend. This should allow us to move at a similar pace of development with much greater quality. The next version of DarkSend is scheduled to be released at the end of June.

Know any great developers that want to help with Darkcoin? Please have them reach out to us.

#1 eduffield, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 20
  2. philipmicklon

philipmicklon New Member

Thank you for the update!

3. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

Great to hear from you! thanks for the update

4. ImI

ImI New Member

good news that is!

5. splawik21

splawik21 Grizzled Member
    Foundation Member Dash Support Group

Evan did you sleep well? :)
    Happy to see few word from ya

6. Diirk

Diirk New Member

Great news! I'm not a developer but still want to offer my help: I work with developers every day as a senior product manager for the biggest online gambling company in the world. I also own over 1% of all DRK currently in existence, so I have a massive incentive to help. I'm willing to spend many hours a day helping wherever I can, for free. I think you will be able to judge my skill set, so let me know if my help can be used.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BITCOINDENMARK

BITCOINDENMARK New Member

Dash Address:
    Xn5mLjodJ2m2kfSNnqGZAeufQxbqfYLfbh
    Very clear statement, thanks.

8. Lzeppelin

Lzeppelin Member

Great news.

#8 Lzeppelin, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  9. videosforpictures

videosforpictures New Member

excellent news, thanks evan

10. aadje93

aadje93 New Member

where can i find the windows darkcoin qt? (the gui version is qt right?)

I'm out off sync for 24hours now lol

11. wserd

wserd New Member

Keep up the good work guys, thanks for the concise update.

12. karloz34

karloz34 New Member

The patched wallets are up in http://darkcoin.io

13. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

14. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

I am a software QA/QM engineer and willing to offer my help to improve the Darkcoin development, test, integration and rollout processes - bugtracking, continous integration, release management, automated and manual testing, code review should really be part of such a great piece of software.

As a DRK stakeholder/MN op of 3 masternodes i am very interested in contributing my part to the success story of Darkcoin. If you are interested feel free to PM me.

flare

• Like Like x 2
  15. wmr1988

wmr1988 New Member

Thank you Evan. The market has stabilized from that freefall like a minute after your post >.>
    Quick! someone repost this everywhere, my DRK is still somehow locked during transfer between the exchanges...

16. falsealarm_bf

falsealarm_bf New Member

I've shared my background information in the past. I have over 15 years of experience in end-to-end Enterprise grade SDLC. I have extensive software development and infrastructure experience, and would be happy to contribute where ever I can. The problem however, I see, is that Darkcoin needs an organizational structure more so that anything. Our current market cap dictates it. There needs to be a "foundation" type of organization with some funding to perform planning/oversight/review functions to provide guidance to it. This foundation would not own the coin or dictate direction but rather support Evan with these high level tasks. I would be happy to turn in a resume if such an organization is ever considered!

• Like Like x 2
  17. HooDude

HooDude New Member

Thank you Evan, keep up the hard work. You are doing a fantastic job and we are all very, very grateful for your work.

18. mulga

mulga Active Member
    Foundation Member

Thanks for the update and well done. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for not just what your doing but how well you're doing it :)

19. yidakee

yidakee Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Brilliant come-back! Evan clearly has the "back-end" covered, so we need a "front-end", ergo, a Foundation.

IMHO, this Foundation should have one main agenda... Darksend was NOT created for illegality, but for privacy

20. Stray

Stray Member

I've spent the last two years developing in an enterprise environment using the Microsoft stack on a small team of 4-6 people that was completely self-reliant but I'm still very much in a learning phase. The bulk of my experience however is 6 years as SQA (Sr. Test, Team Lead, Automation) and I'm more than willing to help in that regard if needed.

Although I must admit that being closely involved in the politics of a large company has me leery of 'Foundations'.

• Like Like x 1
  21. precrime3

precrime3 New Member

Thought rc3 was supposed to come out june 14? So I'm assuming it got pushed to 30th?

22. mattmct

mattmct Member

Thanks for keeping us updated Evan.

I feel this post should at least be "stickied".

We should also promote this better. On the "news" section of the site, twitter, facebook, update the main post of the bitcointalk thread.

I think a lot of darkcoin users probably haven't found this information, and don't know the current direction after the forking problems. All they know is the price is falling. Some "good" news like this should be promoted as much as possible.

23. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

Evan updated the plan today at bitcointalk:
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6994689#msg6994689

• Like Like x 1
  24. Probe

Probe New Member

First of all, I want to express myself and my opinion without getting in argument with some teenager in the forum. I'm engineer and i have my view on the MN's payment system. I hope Evan reconsider this .
    AlexGR and JGCMiner have their points !Evan why we need anonymity when we believe so blindly in humanity ? If masternodes don't receive their fair share, they are going to quit and this will be very bad for the network.
    We just need a reward correlated to amount of DRK that has been received by the Masternode. If the MasterNode has more DRKcoins like 4-5k , it will be able to mix bigger transaction whence the bigger reward .
    Anonymous transactions through darksend should be taxed with bigger % than without darksend.

25. iHeartSmartArt

First of all, i do not like any of your suggestions. I really really like the 1000drk rule. if keeping nodes happy, most do not like having to compete with a masternode with 50k take votes even if it can support that.

#25 iHeartSmartArt, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  26. UdjinM6

UdjinM6 Official Dash Dev
    Dash Core Team Moderator

There are already some saying that idea of having masternodes is not that good in terms of decentralization even if it cost 1K per node. I'm not sure about this but for me it's ok as far as we have say 500+ masternodes 1K DRK each. But if we are going to have like 50 masternodes 10K+ DRK each... well, that doesn't look healthy to me.

27. mattmct

mattmct Member

Good to see another update.

I don't like hard forks, well, not after the last one. But I've seen a few hard forks of drk over the time, and the previous went fine.

I think the masternode payments should be done via fork / blockchain and not another way where it could be seen as optional, there is always someone trying to game the system, so more secure is better for sure.

I got a couple of payments on my masternodes while they payments were running and it looked and felt awesome. I can't wait to see it working again properly.

As for multiple "tickets" on a server, while this is great for massive holders, I'm not sure how good it is for the network. Someone PM'ed me saying they needed help with setting up enough masternoodes for 12K coins. 12 master nodes. While setting up 12 VPS / servers will take a while, I would rather that, than one sever with 12 tickets worth, because what happens if this server is attacked, or DDOsed? effectively 12 nodes go down in one swoop. What is the timeout for the network to realise this?

We could get some huge players how setup one masternode, rather than 20-30 masternodes. That one masternodes goes down, along with a chunk of the darksend network.
    If you have enough dark to be able to set up many masternodes, you should have enough money to pay $10 x 10 a month or whatever, and should find the time. It's one hell of a return.

Basically more masternodes = more decentralization, more secure and stable (in my view)
    Hard code masternodes payments, so there is no way for someone to "game" it / not pay it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. iHeartSmartArt

Wow you got some Matt! I hesitate to ask how much. Next time it will be twice as much.
    More masternodes = more decentalition, yes.
    your right about that one.

29. mattmct

mattmct Member

Unfortunately the 12 masternodes were not mine, but someone asking for my help. I do have enough coins for a few masternodes.

30. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

The coins in the masternode are not used in the mixing. The bigger masternodes would not allow to do different things than the 1000 drk ones. The only advantage would be to make it easier for the owners to maintain and secure them, which is good for everyone. On the other hand, they would increase centralization.