• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Is the new budget system driving down the price of DASH?

Please don't get me wrong, all I do every day is Dash PR. I'm only saying that we should have as close to a finished product as possible, featuring a dummy-proof interface, and low probability of doing something that will lose your coins. If we attract huge amounts of users now, they will not be greeted by a refined product. Better to wait until Evans vision has materialized and we are close to version 1.0 to go full tilt marketing. It's a more efficient use of these funds, IMHO.

I see your point though, that it will never be truly "finished". For now, I think grass-roots marketing such as what you are doing makes sense.

Peter Thiel (PayPal founder, crypto supporter) is quoted in the book "zero to one" as saying something like "If you wait for your technology to be tested and perfect, by the time you get there it will surely be obsolete"

The budget payouts and possibly more DASH reserves are being mercilessly dumped and our demand is not high enough to support the additional DASH flowing into BTC.

Which does present the idea that the entire budget system may actually be our coins very demise. Perhaps it was premature? We generally don't average more than 50k USD volume a day (from what I can see at least).

This must be seriously taken into consideration if it's the case because if coin becomes worthless the budget won't be able to achieve much.

There needs to be a serious push to get some big investors on-board to counter this trend.

I think that one of the issues is that Dash's development has been ongoing for quite a while. The mentality with this coin is that we are always chasing the next big thing, the latest technology and best features. People say, why would we start marketing now when V13 is around the corner and Evan has a huge announcement etc..

Whilst this is great and we are seen as the coin which pushes the boundaries, if we continue on this push for continual development we will start to lose new investors due to lack of stability and marketing. Take the big exchanges for instance, they would not want to add Dash because of the sheer number of updates that would need to be tested and applied to their systems. They don't have the time for this, nor want to on-board the risk of using code that hasn't been vetted over months of use.

I sincerely hope that V13 is the last version for a LONG time where we fix the usability (I would want my mum to look at it and know how to use it) and finalize all the new great features that are announced, and enter a phase of STABILITY and MARKETING. I would like to think that after V13, releasing an updated wallet which requires a fork would happen less than 1-2 times per year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like the fact that DASH is constantly improving and progressing. I always thought it was a "good sign" (DASH's diferential) to have a hard-working and competent dev team. I really hope this is not actually seem as a "problem" with our coin.

If we want to succeed it cannot just be about having a competent dev team....I see it as a delicate balancing act of providing stability and confidence in the market, push hard with marketing ALL the time and then adding new features in a strategic manner.

1) Right now, services such as big exchanges and merchants see us as unstable and still in a very agile development phase.

2) Big news services hardly focus any time on Dash, no new people invest or are exposed to our solution. Even the ones that are interested find it too hard to buy or exchange dash because of point #1 above

3) The only shining light is the dev + core team who are amazing at coding and providing solutions to all of bitcoins problems.

I think that one of the issues is that Dash's development has been ongoing for quite a while. The mentality with this coin is that we are always chasing the next big thing, the latest technology and best features. People say, why would we start marketing now when V13 is around the corner and Evan has a huge announcement etc..

Whilst this is great and we are seen as the coin which pushes the boundaries, if we continue on this push for continual development we will start to lose new investors due to lack of stability and marketing. Take the big exchanges for instance, they would not want to add Dash because of the sheer number of updates that would need to be tested and applied to their systems. They don't have the time for this, nor want to on-board the risk of using code that hasn't been vetted over months of use.

I sincerely hope that V13 is the last version for a LONG time where we fix the usability (I would want my mum to look at it and know how to use it) and finalize all the new great features that are announced, and enter a phase of STABILITY and MARKETING. I would like to think that after V13, releasing an updated wallet which requires a fork would happen less than 1-2 times per year...

I agree except, I really don't think updating is so hard, so I'd like to see us continue not to be afraid of sporks/hard forks. But the marketing part has to get going. We can't worry about the fact that things are going to change. We should embrace change, and make it our middle name. But declare it to the world, let everyone know, Dash is constantly improving and growing and innovating, don't be left behind, use Dash for all your cash needs! And market the freakin hell out of it.

How much does it cost to advertise on a financial show? Or news hour? Can we manage it? (probably not, but I'm curious)

I agree except, I really don't think updating is so hard, so I'd like to see us continue not to be afraid of sporks/hard forks. .

Having over 10 years experience with implementing solutions into global financial institutions, updating for the normal consumer is as easy as downloading and overwriting the existing wallet file. This is not so simple with bigger crypto services which could house 10's or 100's of millions of dollars in risk. It takes time for full verification testing not only of the Dash code but to ensure it integrates securely with their systems/code properly. It may be fine for the small fish like bittrex and cryptsy but if we want get out of the amateur league and play in the top tier space like the coinbase, bitstamp, OKCoin we need stability, even if we have the spork.

These companies are very busy and having to continuously update/test with our fast paced development schedule would be impossible.

Well, I do suspect that these updates will slow down, I mean, how many brilliant innovations can we get out of Evan in a lifetime anyways? LOL. Seriously, though, I'm more arguing with myself, because I'm one of those persons who kept thinking, oh it's all too up in the air still, we can't really market with this or that innovation just around the corner.... And I'm kind of working my own thoughts around to a different point of view. We can't afford to be a niche and clickish group anymore. We need to expand; expand and conquer now. (I'm saying to myself, and desperately trying to think of ways of doing this)

I mean, ultimately, look at the trade volume (going back to the price complaint of this thread) and you'll see it's TINY! We're playing amongst ourselves, and that defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. We want to change the world, so we need the world!

Spot on Tante - there's a point where you have to put your product to market. If we are all still developing for the next 2 years...guess what, we will be in the same or worse position in 2 years time, regardless if we have developed the holy grail.

If it were me, I would suggest hiring a professional marketing consultant/agency to allocate some of their time each month toward Dash...no idea how much this costs and if a larger portion of the budget can be allocated toward this. Again we dont have visibility of the marketing side so who knows, this might already be in the works.

Yes, I sure hope it is! I know they're all in Europe right now (Amsterdam) and are preparing for their presentations. But when they get back, we should start bugging them about what's going on with the marketing :) In a way, Amsterdam is kind of marketing, but not from the budget that I know of ???

Well, I do suspect that these updates will slow down, I mean, how many brilliant innovations can we get out of Evan in a lifetime anyways? LOL. Seriously, though, I'm more arguing with myself, because I'm one of those persons who kept thinking, oh it's all too up in the air still, we can't really market with this or that innovation just around the corner.... And I'm kind of working my own thoughts around to a different point of view. We can't afford to be a niche and clickish group anymore. We need to expand; expand and conquer now. (I'm saying to myself, and desperately trying to think of ways of doing this)

I mean, ultimately, look at the trade volume (going back to the price complaint of this thread) and you'll see it's TINY! We're playing amongst ourselves, and that defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. We want to change the world, so we need the world!

I think we'll end up with a complete, some what complicated (until you get use to it) portfolio of DASH features and functions that will have a long and lasting effect and affect
Some will be rarely used and some will not even be seen or obvious but others will be like - how did I live without this.....???

I'm tellin ya - A Complete DASH Portfolio of Features and Function....

We've only seen the beginning.....

guys
relax !

the price dips, and that sucks, i totally agree !

Crypto in general is WAY down !
look at all the other coins/charts !

Marketing efforts are in full force already !
As we all know , these things take time ! if you expect the price to go up after 3 weeks of marketing effort,
well, sorry to disappoint, but that will not happen. To have the Marketing Efforts catch on ,expect it to take 3-6 month at least !
Will that price then go up ?
That is a very good question, and sure we hope so, that is why we are doing this.
but
as we all know there are many moving parts in an ecosystem as ours and marketing will/should help the price
but at the same time anything is possible ! The whole crypto scene is still tied to BTC , if we want it or not, any news from them will effect all (crypto) markets !
We all know this is a long term investment, we are still in the beginning of all of this. The budget system in not even 1 month in action, we still have to learn, adjust, implement, ....
i know the community is getting impatient (specially when the price drops), but believe me , we are all at work here and are doing as much as we can !

Remember, we are building something big, that takes time. We are not shooting for a quick rush there, we are aiming for a steady rise and that takes even longer.
There is a lot of work to do, we all can ship in (share posts, videos, translate, encourage your local language scene,.....) and we can not do it by ourself !
:wink:

Honestly, I don't expect people have so much interest in this topic. And some maybe exaggerated about the effectiveness about the budget system to drive the price down.
Price has down since Bitfinex stop DASH trading. It just follow the trend.
And I am quite happy about the price drop, hope it can drop below 2USD so that I can buy more. I already saw some people in Chinese forum getting more interest about this coin. If the price drop further I think some people will going to buy in bulk.
Don't worry something that you cannot change, accept it or maybe take advantage of it .:smile:

I agree. Some start to market stuff before the product is even out to create a buzz and anticipation. DASH is already a pretty decent product.

I think there needs to be some proper marketing and I agree with you that hiring a professional agency is probably the way to go, a dedicated PR person/team who could set up interviews on high profile shows and has ways to get the word out.

Twitter/FB free advertising can only do so much. There is paid Twitter advertising by the way which can be considered.

I think everyone agrees adoption is the KEY. How do we get adoption you may ask? this is not a simple answer and really no one has a conclusive answer to this question. IMO we need to 'sell' dash to the people in the crypto scene right now. I am a LBC trader and I can tell you the demand for bit coin is insane. In Australia I have sold more than 80k AUD on a single day using LBC. most days is more than 15k. And its been like this for a long time.

I believe this is because Bitcoin is useful to use NOW. Yes, there are investors out the that buy coins to hold, but there are far more normal people that buy there coin each week to spend. ( I think we can guess what on) (Dr Deepweb made a thread about this a couple of weeks ago) for a lot of these people this is the sole reason they buy bit coin. Not because it a ground shattering world changing idea, they buy BTC because they can buy some very interesting items with BTC. Its useful now. You may not be aware but you can do this with Dash as well, right now ! People should know this ! Its a good thing !!

Anyway I think normal everyday people are the ones we need to get excited about this coin. Everyday people dont have money to invest on coins that just sit there idle. The buy coins so they can spend them on other things that enrich their lives. If they knew there was another coin they could use that was FAR safer to use, i think they all would.

The thing that gets me excited about this project is the potential. Its absolutely pointless to hold out on marketing campaigns. We need to get this brand out there now. Any publicity is good publicity.
But also a profession PR person or team would be amazing.

It need to be common knowledge that : if you want to make a transaction that cant be tracked back to you, and has a built in tumbler , use dash ! If you want make a transaction that can be analysed on the block chain etc use BTC !! I know this is the simple stuff that anyone that knows anything about Dash already is well aware of. We need to tell the other million people involved in that billion dollar market that i can not name about this coin. These are the people that will kick this thing in the balls and get it pff the ground.

Someone earlier on this thread was suggesting offering a lot of coin to large investment at a discounted rate. I think that could be detrimental to DASH. Investors are not silly. They will invest when and if they think its a viable investment and offering them coins at a discount is kinda of the opposite. If we are so sure of our product why would we sell them at discount?

I brought my first node when dash was >$10 a coin. I have spoken to other people that are holding BTC and after I have explained Dash to them and sent them to different info sources etc, some went out and invested in nodes. Most people dont know about dash its fair to say.

This conference thing is great. But its not enough. Lets get someone booked in to every single crypto event on the globe. Get serious and proactive. Lets get a heap of blogs online explaining the benefits of dash in comparison to other coins etc. ( im talking when someone types dash on google the hits are overwhelming) Lets get devs speaking on peoples podcasts about dash. Lets get articles on popular online sites. We need to establish a bit of a guerrilla marketing team and start to flood the web with information. Lets focus on the current market rather than looking to far into the future. We have a product that works now, we cant wait until its 'perfect' as it will never be perfect.

look at litecoin market cap ! its insane, and what for?? because it was number 2. no other reason. We have a coin that is superior in so many ways. We deserve to be in the No 2 position now. But we cant sit back we need to be proactive and make it happen.

Im keen to get involved and I Have some useful skills to bring to the table as im sure the rest of you do to. If you guys are interested, lets work together on a unified goal. ( increasing the price/ adoption / usage of DASH) these is so many possible paths we could take. If anyone is interested on working on some extra 'marketing' stuff. get in touch.

edit : I thought I might add Tao & tungfa are doing a great job with what they are currently doing! We need more people like them on our team !

I agree. Some start to market stuff before the product is even out to create a buzz and anticipation. DASH is already a pretty decent product.

I think there needs to be some proper marketing and I agree with you that hiring a professional agency is probably the way to go, a dedicated PR person/team who could set up interviews on high profile shows and has ways to get the word out.

Twitter/FB free advertising can only do so much. There is paid Twitter advertising by the way which can be considered.

This ^^^^^^^

Split on the PR thing, (imho) Dash is way out in front of the crypto tech race and could slowly develop a rock solid user base on its merits alone, on the other there's a lot of smart folks coming up with new ideas by the hour and something could come along that changes the game completely so its best to strike while the iron's hot and get established right now. I'd vote for the latter but feel there's no need, Dash's innovations make it the highest valued coin out there regardless of what the markets may think.

Split on the PR thing, (imho) Dash is way out in front of the crypto tech race and could slowly develop a rock solid user base on its merits alone, on the other there's a lot of smart folks coming up with new ideas by the hour and something could come along that changes the game completely so its best to strike while the iron's hot and get established right now. I'd vote for the latter but feel there's no need, Dash's innovations make it the highest valued coin out there regardless of what the markets may think.

You could have the cure for cancer in your pocket but its absolutely useless if no one knows about it. and its all about what others think when it comes to adoption.

A cure for cancer would sell its self though, there'd be no need to advertise. Tbh its probably more a grudge against the trend of spending more on marketing than development these days, so much cheap tat in shiny packaging and unfinished products rushed to market (especially in the realm of software) but nothing so far on the PR side of Dash has failed to impress and its based on pure merits, nothing in there saying "use Dash and you'll get laid more often" :) Going off topic though and frankly I don't give a damn what the markets think Dash is worth so I'll go back to lurking :)

Back