• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Introduce the 13 operators that own 3000 masternodes.

A discussion between two developers about c++ specification and what would be 'the best approach' to apply those is shocking to you ? Or did I miss what you meant by "The Specifications" ....

From the discusion between the developers.

tgflynn said:
The question of these non-standard signals is currently very unclear to me.
UdjinM6 said:
Other signals are not clear for me too tbh :) The point was defining max value via one of enum members and not by some magic number which imo is a better/cleaner way.
The C++ specifications refer to the implementation of the design to the language c++. The c++ language specifications do not require necessarily the deep understanding of the design.

The above discussion between developers is not a discussion about c++ specifications. It is a discussion about code design specifications, which is something tottaly different.

It is shocking that not even the developers know what exactly they are coding. If the developpers do not know what they are doing, then who knows?

The developpers are just bulding the walls, because someone told them to do it. But they dont know whether the wall they are bulding is a wall of a school, or a wall of a prison. This is what shocked me.

Last edited:
You are missing the **point**: "The point was defining max value via one of enum members and not by some magic number which imo is a better/cleaner way." That is what was being discussed ...

Error: Looking at the code, the signals are clearly related so ... strike the remark below:
~As to him not knowing about other signals, It does not surprise me that a developer reviewing one section of code is not sure about other parts (signals) that are not related to the section he is reviewing. As long as he knows the part he is responsible for and thus reviewing there is no problem there.~

Last edited:
As to him not knowing about other signals, It does not surprise me that a developer reviewing one section of code is not sure about other parts (signals) that are not related to the section he is reviewing. As long as he knows the part he is responsible for and thus reviewing there is no problem there.

When the developers talked about signals, this is what signals they meant.
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/v0.12.1.x/src/governance-vote.h

Code:
// SIGNAL VARIOUS THINGS TO HAPPEN:
enum vote_signal_enum_t  {
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NONE       = 0,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_FUNDING    = 1, //   -- fund this object for it's stated amount
    VOTE_SIGNAL_VALID      = 2, //   -- this object checks out in sentinel engine
    VOTE_SIGNAL_DELETE     = 3, //   -- this object should be deleted from memory entirely
    VOTE_SIGNAL_ENDORSED   = 4, //   -- officially endorsed by the network somehow (delegation)
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP1      = 5, // FOR FURTHER EXPANSION
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP2      = 6,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP3      = 7,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP4      = 8,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP5      = 9,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP6      = 10,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP7      = 11,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP8      = 12,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP9      = 13,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP10     = 14,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP11     = 15,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM1    = 16,  // SENTINEL CUSTOM ACTIONS
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM2    = 17,  //        16-35
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM3    = 18,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM4    = 19,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM5    = 20,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM6    = 21,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM7    = 22,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM8    = 23,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM9    = 24,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM10   = 25,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM11   = 26,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM12   = 27,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM13   = 28,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM14   = 29,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM15   = 30,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM16   = 31,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM17   = 32,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM18   = 33,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM19   = 34,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM20 = 35
};

The problem is ethical. Building a wall without knowing whether the wall is a wall of a school or a wall of a prison, this is what bothers me. I respect the employees who are trying to understand the big picture and who are trying to know and to understand how their small actions are used by their employers and for what purpose. This attitude differentiates the free persons from the slaves.

The fact that @UdjinM6 is trying to understand the big picture is positive for him, the fact that he cannot understand it is shocking. If he cannot understand what the above signals are, then who can?

Last edited:
When the developers talked about signals, this is what signals they meant.
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/v0.12.1.x/src/governance-vote.h

Code:
// SIGNAL VARIOUS THINGS TO HAPPEN:
enum vote_signal_enum_t  {
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NONE       = 0,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_FUNDING    = 1, //   -- fund this object for it's stated amount
    VOTE_SIGNAL_VALID      = 2, //   -- this object checks out in sentinel engine
    VOTE_SIGNAL_DELETE     = 3, //   -- this object should be deleted from memory entirely
    VOTE_SIGNAL_ENDORSED   = 4, //   -- officially endorsed by the network somehow (delegation)
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP1      = 5, // FOR FURTHER EXPANSION
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP2      = 6,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP3      = 7,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP4      = 8,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP5      = 9,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP6      = 10,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP7      = 11,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP8      = 12,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP9      = 13,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP10     = 14,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_NOOP11     = 15,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM1    = 16,  // SENTINEL CUSTOM ACTIONS
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM2    = 17,  //        16-35
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM3    = 18,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM4    = 19,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM5    = 20,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM6    = 21,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM7    = 22,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM8    = 23,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM9    = 24,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM10   = 25,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM11   = 26,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM12   = 27,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM13   = 28,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM14   = 29,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM15   = 30,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM16   = 31,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM17   = 32,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM18   = 33,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM19   = 34,
    VOTE_SIGNAL_CUSTOM20 = 35
};

The problem is ethical. Building a wall without knowing whether the wall is a wall of a school or a wall of a prison, this is what bothers me. I respect the employees who are trying to understand the big picture and who are trying to know and to understand how their small actions are used by their employers and for what purpose. This attitude differentiates the free persons from the slaves.

The fact that @UdjinM6 is trying to understand the big picture is positive for him, the fact that he cannot understand it is shocking. If he cannot understand what the above signals are, then who can?

Signals is smth Sentinel works with, Dashd part is built to be Sentinel-data agnostic transport layer which means that as a Dashd dev and not a Sentinel dev I'm not fully aware of packets design (though I understand it in general) or Sentinel code. It's like I'm building the Dashd-"road" for Sentinel-"cars" - I know what they are, how large they are going to be in general i.e. how large "exits" should be, I know how much of them will be there at the beginning and that "traffic" is expected to rise after some time. I don't need to know what the color would be or how many gears they would have, as a road builder I don't really care. Speaking of these "custom numbers" specifically - they are smth reserved for the future use, like unused op_code's in bitcoin. What we were discussing is simply the way to build it using a better pattern so that the "road" was easily extensible if/when needed later.

Speaking of these "custom numbers" specifically - they are smth reserved for the future use, like unused op_code's in bitcoin.

The unused op_codes in bitcoin are the minority, and the used op_codes the majority. But in our case it is the reverse, we have too many unused vote_signals and just a few used. And this is strange.

From the veritas team.
It is important to note that the proposal is not stored in the blockchain; in fact, neither proposals nor votes are stored in the blockchain. The proposal ballots are only stored in the internal pools of each node. The nodes periodically synchronize these pools between each other.
Again, it is important to note that a vote is stored only in the internal storage. It is not stored in the blockchain.

Why the core team designed to store the votes outside the blockchain? What is the rationality or for what reason this specific design has been selected among others? Is it maybe because they dont want to keep the vote history?

Maybe our friend @nmarley could explain to us whats really happening in sentinel.

Last edited:
Maybe our friend @nmarley could explain to us whats really happening in sentinel.

Ok. as long as our friend @nmarley dont want to reveal, I will reveal his plans. The reason so many vote-signals exist it is because they will be used for alternative proposals. This is what he is planning to do.

Just to inform @UdjinM6 , in order to be able to understand what exactly he is coding. And by the way, have a look at what some other projects are doing for readability, and compare it to Dash. :(

Last edited:
You can also see a full list of the masternode IPs here
https://masternodecloud.com/#queuepos

then ask a report there
https://www.domainiq.com/bulk_whois_ip

<current report>
Top IP Organizations
Digital Ocean, Inc. - 473 domains
Amazon Technologies Inc. - 466 domains
Vultr Holdings, LLC - 450 domains
Choopa, LLC - 356 domains
OVH Static IP - 303 domains