• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

GUI tool for running Masternode with Trezor

Hello, masternode owners. Finally, I decided to submit a proposal to accelerate the implementation of the awaiting DMT functionalities and to improve the quality of code/documentation. This is to be accomplished by working on this project exclusively for a period of two months.

Proposal link: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/dash-masternode-tool-development-boost

Thank you for every voice, for your past and future suggestions and for your understanding the shortcomings that exist in the program, which I hope to soon eliminate if the proposal passes.

Dear Masternode owners. I've made a mistake in my proposal (https://www.dashcentral.org/p/dash-masternode-tool-development-boost) - according to my intentions the amount should be 66 Dash for two months (33 per month), but it turns out that 66 Dash is per each month. This was definitely not my intention. I will talk to someone from Core what would be the best solution - canceling my proposal and submitting a new one or maybe sending that surplus (66 Dash) to a Dash Core account. Until then, it is best to refrain from voting. If any of you have an idea how best to solve this, I will also be grateful for the suggestions. I suppose I'm not the first one to make such a mistake.

Dear Masternode owners. I've made a mistake in my proposal (https://www.dashcentral.org/p/dash-masternode-tool-development-boost) - according to my intentions the amount should be 66 Dash for two months (33 per month), but it turns out that 66 Dash is per each month. This was definitely not my intention. I will talk to someone from Core what would be the best solution - canceling my proposal and submitting a new one or maybe sending that surplus (66 Dash) to a Dash Core account. Until then, it is best to refrain from voting. If any of you have an idea how best to solve this, I will also be grateful for the suggestions. I suppose I'm not the first one to make such a mistake.

We can just defund your second month, right?

EDIT: a couple of hours later everithing is solved by itself, except the balance still at 0

EDIT2: after another hour the balance indicate 1000

I have some trouble setting up a MN with the guide posted before and the last DMT: The MN seems to be enabled in the DMT, I can vote, but on dasninja it is not seen, and on dashman my address, TX are empty, and my amount is 0 (but it is listed as Enabled)

masternode started : YES
masternode visible (local) : YES
masternode visible (ninja) : NO
masternode address :
masternode funding txn : -
masternode queue/count :4565/4651
masternode mnsync state : MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED
masternode network state : ENABLED
masternode last payment : never
masternode balance : 0

at some point I had an error durong the guide: when i edit my dash.conf file with my MN address, then restart dashman, I had an error:

restart dashd? [y/N] y
--> Stopping dashd. Please wait...DONE!
--> Deleting cache files, debug.log... DONE!
--> Starting dashd... DONE!
--> Waiting for dashd to respond...DONE!
--> dash-cli getinfo
error: couldn't connect to server

Exiting.

May be the problem is here?
I don't know if it's a problem on my side, or because of the tutorial was made before the last revision of the file?

Last edited:
About your proposal, I'm not familiar whith it, but may be you'll get more vote for a 66dash proposal than for a 132 dash if it's not explicit enough for the people (may be it is, once again I'm not familiar with thoses vote things)

--> Starting dashd... DONE!
--> Waiting for dashd to respond...DONE!
--> dash-cli getinfo
error: couldn't connect to server
It looks like:
a) dashd has not started despite the dashman's message "--> Starting dashd... DONE!" - not very likely
b) your dash.conf parameters were set improperly

First, check if your dashd is running:
  • check if the dash is running: ps -e | grep dashd
If the command returns something like this:
Code:
  429 ?        16-16:58:42 dashd
it probably means that your dash.conf is misconfigured, but before we'll dig deeper into this, first check the above.

Code:
It looks like:
a) dashd has not started despite the dashman's message "--> Starting dashd... DONE!" - not very likely
The dashman status worked, the sync worked, so I was thinking dashd was running

I have that return:
24792 ? 01:27:41 dashd

I don't know if you have seen my edit, but 2 hours after the restart, the MN address and tx filled itself, and 3 hours after the restart the MN balance return 1000 instead of 0.

So I think everithing is fine now on my side (even if I did not try to restart once again to see if the same error appear.
Yestartday I tryed to restart multiple times (without beeing synced, with the sync, with the hardware wallet brodcasted, without...always get the same error and the MN address not listing.

So I think everithing is fine now on my side (even if I did not try to restart once again to see if the same error appear.
Yestartday I tryed to restart multiple times (without beeing synced, with the sync, with the hardware wallet brodcasted, without...always get the same error and the MN address not listing.
What is the current status, is your MN listed on dashninja?

May be it's standard procedure (?). Do you want me to restart dashman to see if I can reproduce it again? (I did not restart since it worked)
If dashninja shows its status as "Active" you should leave it working - there is no need to restart dashd.
If you ever have to restart your dahd and have problems with it, we will analyze step by step what happens.

Hi @Bertrand256. I found out, that if an ssh connection was lost it won't reconnect until program restart.

I saw you added voting on proposal in the app. I voted yes on your proposal, but via dashcentral :) It's not very comfortable to use it. Could you add couple filters, like "only active", "no votes" etc and be able to apply then at once?

Could you add option to save ssh password? Yes, I know it's not the best security practice.

BTW, it's may not be such a good idea to replace python with C++. Even I don't code in python I was able to find a bug in it (reported by email and fixed a while ago).

PS. Thank you for such a great tool!

Last edited:
he
Hi @Bertrand256. I found out, that if an ssh connection was lost it won't reconnect until program restart.

I saw you added voting on proposal in the app. I voted yes on your proposal, but via dashcentral :) It's not very comfortable to use it. Could you add couple filters, like "only active", "no votes" etc and be able to apply then at once?

Could you add option to save ssh password? Yes, I know it's not the best security practice.

BTW, it's may not be such a good idea to replace python with C++. Even I don't code in python I was able to find a bug in it (reported by email and fixed a while ago).

PS. Thank you for such a great tool!

Hi @dote
In the upcoming releases I'm going to make some improvements in the proposal window. It could be: filtering, extra columns and so on, so all suggestions are welcome. Can you write more of what you mean by the "No votes" filter. Did I understand correctly, that you would like to vote for many proposals at once?

I'll consider implementing the saving SSH password feature along with the feature of encrypting the configuration file with a hardware wallet. I'd like to give the user a choice of saving a password in a safe way first. Until then, as a workaround I suggest using SSH public key authentication (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys), which is supported by DMT.

As the switching from python to C ++ requires a lot of work, all the pros and cons will be considered. I will definitely not make this decision alone without giving the Dash community the possibility of expressing what they think about this.

Can you send me a bug description through DM? I haven't received any e-mail related to this, but my email server is quite restrictive, so it could have bounced back the message. It could take several days until your server tells you that it was unable to deliver the message.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the upcoming releases I'm going to make some improvements in the proposal window. It could be: filtering, extra columns and so on, so all suggestions are welcome. Can you write more of what you mean by the "No votes" filter. Did I understand correctly, that you would like to vote for many proposals at once?

Sure, now I see I didn't put it clear. I would love to see the following filters:
Active proposal for a current period
Active proposal for a current period, I still need to vote on
Proposal for a last period

I'll consider implementing the saving SSH password feature along with the feature of encrypting the configuration file with a hardware wallet. I'd like to give the user a choice of saving a password in a safe way first. Until then, as a workaround I suggest using SSH public key authentication (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys), which is supported by DMT.

Could you tell how to use this? I didn't find how to add a key to DMT. I'm using Windows, so it's not possible to use a system auth.

Can you send me a bug description through DM? I haven't received any e-mail related to this, but my email server is quite restrictive, so it could have bounced back the message. It could take several days until your server tells you that it was unable to deliver the message.

As I sad you fixed it a long time ago, thank you (Collateral TX field validation/hex issue). I used it just as an example how easy it is to take a look at the source code with python.

Last edited:
Just want to say, if you are thinking of rewriting this tool, I think it would be a lot better as a local web interface i.e. local html / javascript client. The reason is, proposals have multiple web links and would therefore integrate more seamlessly. There would also be less issues regarding font scaling etc.

Error:

Coundn't read governanceinfo from the Dash network. Some features may not work correctly because of this. Details: unorderable types: dict() > int()

Just want to say, if you are thinking of rewriting this tool, I think it would be a lot better as a local web interface i.e. local html / javascript client. The reason is, proposals have multiple web links and would therefore integrate more seamlessly. There would also be less issues regarding font scaling etc.

Even I am a big fan of JS, if this particular case using it would be a bad idea. Besides, I even know would it be possible. Because JS don't have access to a hardware.

Even I am a big fan of JS, if this particular case using it would be a bad idea. Besides, I even know would it be possible. Because JS don't have access to a hardware.

I don't know about other hardware but the trezor bridge is accessible via js, how else they do their client side web wallet?

EDIT: Either that or a dedicated android app, that would be really nice.

Back