• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Enhanced Darkcoin Wallet UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was too curious and did NOT cover my eyes ( ; )
so are these actually working samples you are putting up or just graphics and images ?!

dam it would be sooooooo nice to get off our (now) grey boring wallet !!

I for one do NOT want to give up the classic qt interface.... you guys can make all the skins you want..
but PLEASE either
1. provide 'enable classic'
or
2. just implement skinning with themes.

I would rather development concentrate on making everything work properly and avoid over-designing the UI.

I was too curious and did NOT cover my eyes ( ; )
so are these actually working samples you are putting up or just graphics and images ?!

dam it would be sooooooo nice to get off our (now) grey boring wallet !!

I for one do NOT want to give up the classic qt interface.... you guys can make all the skins you want..
but PLEASE either
or

I would rather development concentrate on making everything work properly and avoid over-designing the UI.

but PLEASE either
or

Skinning!! Yes! I was going to propose that a while ago but slipped my mind. That is like open-sourcing GUI development to anyone without any coding skills, and in many cases, not eve gx-design skills lool.

But that would open another huge can of worms, as such would mean even more coding into the protocol to allow simple import of image files.

Skinning!! Yes! I was going to propose that a while ago but slipped my mind. That is like open-sourcing GUI development to anyone without any coding skills, and in many cases, not eve gx-design skills lool.

But that would open another huge can of worms, as such would mean even more coding into the protocol to allow simple import of image files.

Actually UI and protocol are completely separated, so breaking the UI wouldn't break Darkcoin.

I'll be fixing some UI-glitches the next days, maybe I find some time to evaluate who much work skins would be during that.

Actually UI and protocol are completely separated, so breaking the UI wouldn't break Darkcoin.

I'll be fixing some UI-glitches the next days, maybe I find some time to evaluate who much work skins would be during that.

I am aware of that (I think!). As I understand it, classical skinning is a feature where people have a file, and link that file into the QT (in this case). That means that the QT would need code to the import of specific files and interpret them. I have no real knowledge how it works in UI and protocol, only a "guestimate", but wouldn't introducing a skinning mechanism involve a huge work to automate and specify x,y,z filetype/sizes and point in the right direction?

I am aware of that (I think!). As I understand it, classical skinning is a feature where people have a file, and link that file into the QT (in this case). That means that the QT would need code to the import of specific files and interpret them. I have no real knowledge how it works in UI and protocol, only a "guestimate", but wouldn't introducing a skinning mechanism involve an huge work to automate and specify x,y,z filetype/sizes and point in the right direction?

That's why I wrote "evaluate", right now I have no idea how hard QT makes this task.
But first I have to finish setting up a multi-locale box to check how the different locales behave...the locale strings are length-wise quite different and a PITA to fit them all :-/

locale made me almost go insane pulling my hair trying to follow chaeplin's tutorial to setup VPS MN using OSx's terminal as SSH host. Then I switched to linux and my life became brighter.

but PLEASE either
or

This sums up pretty much my point of view. The qt wallet is a reference implementation.

sure there will always be different opinions about design and color. some love the grey , others do not.
the point is that the general user we are trying to atract (tech nobs like me) use the wallet as their main tool . Shadowcash got a ton of PR out of just having a "nice" designed wallet. it would be great if we could do an "optional" well designed wallet too

I know that you tech pros do not care about this as you are about the facts and numbers but as we are aiming for mass adoption we should really think about design and some eye candy for the general population

sure there will always be different opinions about design and color. some love the grey , others do not.
the point is that the general user we are trying to atract (tech nobs like me) use the wallet as their main tool . Shadowcash got a ton of PR out of just having a "nice" designed wallet. it would be great if we could do an "optional" well designed wallet too

I know that you tech pros do not care about this as you are about the facts and numbers but as we are aiming for mass adoption we should really think about design and some eye candy for the general population
I do not disagree.....

just leave the reference client alone!! :)

I am aware of that (I think!). As I understand it, classical skinning is a feature where people have a file, and link that file into the QT (in this case). That means that the QT would need code to the import of specific files and interpret them. I have no real knowledge how it works in UI and protocol, only a "guestimate", but wouldn't introducing a skinning mechanism involve a huge work to automate and specify x,y,z filetype/sizes and point in the right direction?
That's not the issue, QT handles most common image types (png/jpg/gif/etc) perfectly well, plus transparency, different fonts, sound and video (dog forbid) whatever. The issue is that the wallet structure itself is bit of a mess and is going to need some hammering.

Love the language versions ! (well well done)
Now we just need some color in there !!
:wink:
UEEMSA4.jpg

why is the timestamp missing on the right?

I took it off
you do NOT have to know everything about me vertoe
:wink:

PS: we call that photoshop - coding
(photographere ONLY)

One one side, the QT looks like a standard windows 95 application, on the other, thank GOD for that! ... it just works, and tech guys ARE NOT productive with fancy pancy gfxs...

On the other, the vast majority of the population might look away if it doesn't look super-duper flashy.

Anyone remember the joy/dread of winamp? The first true "great" mp3 player, that was crazy skinnable? Can such an implementation be feasible with the QT? A simple option's preference could cater to all.

One one side, the QT looks like a standard windows 95 application, on the other, thank GOD for that! ... it just works, and tech guys ARE NOT productive with fancy pancy gfxs...

On the other, the vast majority of the population might look away if it doesn't look super-duper flashy.

Anyone remember the joy/dread of winamp? The first true "great" mp3 player, that was crazy skinnable? Can such an implementation be feasible with the QT? A simple option's preference could cater to all.
Skinnable and wysiwyg editor, we can only dream...

It would be great to have a few available skins and possibility for custom import of pictures from desktop(like a photo album skin, with family pictures, pets, etc… possibly even with changing pictures and modifiable interval between pictures :) ) That would be great for commercials in the future, things like parents sending money to their kids at university or college with the Darkcoin client with the picture of their kids on the client window :) I agree the classic skin could be retained as an option too and there could be a few designed skins with Darkcoin themes preloaded too...

Skinnable themes for the UI looks extremely doable -- the following code (cannibalized from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...olor-for-the-whole-window-of-a-qt-application) seems like the key :-D

QFile file(":/qss/default.qss");
file.open(QFile::ReadOnly);QString styleSheet =QLatin1String(file.readAll());
ui->setupUi(this); // from Darkcoin code
ui->setStyleSheet(styleSheet);

I'm an android xml layout novice, but pretty good w/ CSS - I'm gonna give a try :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back