Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Electrum DASH on OSX - Can't access funds after latest Trezor FW update

Discussion in 'Electrum Wallet Support' started by pin0de, Sep 11, 2016.

1. pin0de

pin0de New Member

Electrum DASH on OSX - Can't access funds after latest Trezor FW update

Electrum DASH on OSX will no longer recognize Trezor after the latest Trezor Firmware update.
    The Electrum DASH developer is aware of it, but I don't know what the ETA is for a new version.

2. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

I really want to help, but i don't have any Apple hardware and i can't test it at all.
    As soon as this changes I'll let you know...

Sorry,
    Holger

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. halso

halso Active Member

Hey, i thought Trezor was only compatible from 12.1 onwards? I hope you have your issue resolved. I bought a Trezor and plan to use it after 12.1 is released, but stories like this are a bit concerning.

4. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Trezor 1.3.6 already works with Electrum-Dash 2.4.1 - it's the masternode functionality (starting nodes with Trezor) which is being added to Electrum-Dash 2.6.4

Re @pin0de: He updated his Trezor to 1.4.0 which is incompatible to Electrum 2.4.1. I really want to help, but i have no Apple Hardware as of yet - and without it building a new release is like blind flight in the night...

Maybe downgrading your Trezor to 1.3.6 will help you out?

5. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

Aside from the security concerns of using the official chrome plugin, Trezor has no upstream interests... "Oh look! An update!"

Don't upgrade until you KNOW it's tested and it'll work. This is the bleeding edge of a fringe concept that barely any one is using. To call it Alpha would insult to the word Alpha. Not because the software is bad, but because the upstream consequences are of no concern to Trezor, and they can't be testing it all. They're kinda counting on us to do that...
    Inadvertent "testing" by someone who didn't realize the environment. Enabled by making things too easy... Same reason I'm keeping my ideas to myself.
    Is this a thing that can be done? If so, certainly not by means of the chrome plugin, gonna have to get fancy...

6. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Wise words, couldn't agree more.

Yes, you can use their python toolset to upgrade and downgrade the Trezor firmware.

--> https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor/blob/master/trezorctl#L346

• Like Like x 1
  7. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Just in case someone wants to try to downgrade, this is what the process looks like :)

upload_2016-9-16_12-7-17.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. c3works

c3works Member

I tried this (having the same downgrade need for my Mac OS X trezor ), but got this error:

'Exception: Unexpected magic characters' on line 140 of this file, https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor/blob/master/trezorctl
    which I saved to the same directory as my trezor-1.3.6.bin

Then I ran: ./trezorctl firmware_update --file trezor-1.3.6.bin (trezor connected)

Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

9. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Hmm, seems like the trezor-1.3.6.bin file does not have the correct format. Where did you download the file?

10. c3works

c3works Member

#10 c3works, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  11. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

@flare I have a user asking if there is a way to do this (or to take out his dash from the trezor) without messing in the console because he is not comfortable with that... any idea? if he had his passphrase (I don't know if he does) could he recover in some other wallet?

12. pin0de

pin0de New Member

Is there any update? I still have a large amount of DASH held hostage in Electrum DASH on OSX with Trezor and I really need to get it out.

13. ericsammons

ericsammons Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

I just discovered something I didn't know before. If you go to beta.mytrezor.com and connect your trezor, you will have access to your DASH funds that you stored via Electrum.

1. On the main beta.mytrezor.com page, select "App Settings" on the left side of the screen.
    2. In the "Currency Backend" dropdown, select "Dash.org" under "Dash."
    3. Click "Save & Reload"

Your Dash should appear and be available to send and receive.

• Like Like x 4
  14. pin0de

pin0de New Member

Yes! It works, beta.mytrezor.com lets me spend the DASH with just my trezor and pin! Finally I can access my DASH again, so glad!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Super8

Super8 Active Member

Yesterday Trezor announced support for Dash on their main wallet.trezor.io interface.

I clicked on 'Dash' on the drop down menu and wow, there were all my electrum dash transactions suddenly appearing here on Wallet.trezor.io... and yes, I can spend the coins from here too. Great!

However..... now when I go back to re launch my Electrum wallet I get the following error message:

"Trezor device not detected. Continue in watching only mode.

Reason: Two devices with the same path and S/N found. This is mac, right? :-/"

I was hoping to be able to use my Electrum wallet protected with my Trezor device to start a Masternode after the release of 12.1

Will I still be able to do this if my Electrum Dash Wallet is now stuck in "watch only mode" ?

Can anyone answer this or help me please?

16. rube563

rube563 New Member

Hello,
    I still stuck with my Electrum-Dash wallet 2.4.1, my mac is unable to see my Trezor and I am in "watch only mode".
    Last Trezor upgrade, they enable Dash Wallet directly on Trezor, which works perfectly!
    Although other people reported that they could see and spend their stuck Dash from their electrum-dash wallet directly form trezor, I couldn't enable it, I tried to select "dash.org" on app settings, but it didn't work.
    Anyone has any Idea? there is any development in the Electrum-Dash wallet?
    If any one help me move my stuck Dash from Electrum-Dash I am offering a bounty of 26.0 Dash (1 Dash = 0.0234 BTC)
    thanks

#16 rube563, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  17. paraman

paraman Active Member
    Foundation Member

18. rube563

rube563 New Member

thank you for the reply paraman.
    that is a light ahead on the end of the tunnel!
    so that's what I going to do, after they (Nathan Marley and Holger Schinzel) release the new version of the electrum-dash wallet 2.4.6 and everything works, I will send you 1/3 for each one of you of the bouty (paraman to point me out the news and for Nathan Marley and Holger Schinzel) each one of you will receive 10 dash (1 Dash = 0.0234 BTC), since the price skyrocket, I can't keep up with the current price per Dash
    thank you again and we talk soon

#18 rube563, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. paraman

paraman Active Member
    Foundation Member

Electrum 2.6.4 for Mac is available: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/dash-electrum-v-2-6-4-mac.13787/

20. rube563

rube563 New Member

hello paraman and everyone,
    I downloaded the new version and tried to run it, but the app didn't work, I already reported it...so lets wait and see what they can do.
    fortunately i had made an backup before running the new version so I was able to revert it after it didn't work.
    talk to you later

21. rube563

rube563 New Member

Hello flare,
    I have been waiting for the new version of the electrum-dash so that I could move my coins again, but my hope is fading...
    could you walk me through the process for me to downgrade my Trezor?
    I think this is will be the best way to been able to access my dash again.
    thanks,
    rubens

22. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Did you try https://electrum-dash.org/download/2.6.4/electrum-dash-2.6.4.dmg already?

23. rube563

rube563 New Member

24. rube563

rube563 New Member

I have access to a Linux machine, so if you prefer you can walk me through the process using linux.
    Although, if you guide me using Mac, others could benefit as well.
    ps. I have 2 Trezors and I already moved all coins to the one I am not downgrading.
    thanks,
    Rubens

25. rube563

rube563 New Member

Finally!
    I decided to stop waiting for someone, someday fix the bug on the new release of the electrum-dash wallet to open on my Mac OsX El Capitan... seems like I'm the only person affected for this incompatibility, so naturally all developers have more important issues to solve (look I'm not here to blame anyone. Like I said it is how things work, everybody are so busy that they have to solve all the problems with more complaints first).

The Problem
    I validate my electrum-dash wallet with Trezor and since summer last year, after an update of the Trezor firmware, electrum-dash 2.4.1 didn't saw Trezor connected anymore, an message appear on my scream saying: "Two devices with the same path and S/N found. This is Mac, right? :-/ ", which seems like a joke! Imagine you seen your coins on your wallet an you can use it, the coins are there but you can't move it, just watch. It is very very frustrating.

I first contacted the electrum-dash developers with a little and no response, then I contacted Trezor support and they were aware of the problem already and had also got in touch with the people from electrum-dash, the solution was to wait for the new release of the electrum-dash or a downgrade of the Trezor firmware, but they warned me to be cautious with this solution because I could lost all my coins. So I patiently waited and put some posts on the Forum to push it.

The solution
    Last week my patient ended and I decided to have a proactive approach and start digging my own solution. I contacted Trezor support again asking them to explaining how I can downgrade my Trezor. They were very helpful and explained me all the steps necessary which I will past at the end of this post.

Just a side note. A few months after my problem started, Trezor itself enable support to Dash directly on their wallet and after this integration some folks here on the Forum with the same Mac problem as myself, could see and move all their stuck coins directly on Trezor wallet, but for some strange reason I couldn't. Then I had to go for the downgrade option anyway.

Well after the downgrade, finally electrum-dash saw my Trezor and I was able to move all my coins out of their then run as fast as I could, I have no reason tho continuing use electrum-dash after all....

Step-by-step/ how to downgrade your Trezor firmware
    be aware:
    ***use this as your last resource and with extreme caution***

----
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can store directly Dash on our TREZOR wallet (wallet.trezor.io) for some time now, so there is no need for downgrade option anymore.

In a case, you want still use Electrum-DASH for some specific feature, please follow this procedure, but at the same time be prepared, that it is always better to keep your TREZOR up to date.

1) Please make sure your recovery seed is available (if your TREZOR is without funds, then it is not needed)
    2) Download the desired firmware binary file (in this case - 1.3.6) with this link -https://github.com/trezor/webwallet-data/tree/4299109b7e4cf9bc994f775d98061a44d244c951/firmware
    2) Go to wallet.trezor.io and access your TREZOR as usual
    3) Click on TREZOR name
    4) In the URL, add custom_firmware behind the Device ID. The address should look like this:https://wallet.trezor.io/#/device/DEVICEID0123456/custom_firmware
    5) Load the binary file you downloaded from GitHub.
    6) Follow the steps as displayed, basically the same update steps as with firmware update.
    7) There will be no fingerprint to verify, but the firmware binaries from GitHub are signed by SL keys.
    ----

So this ends my journey of how I have been able to recover my Dash.
    best regards,
    Rubens