• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - August 19, 2014

What's the advantage for having 1000 keys vs. the incompatibility issue with the old wallets?
DS+ gets through a lot of keys - burner addresses for each transaction basically.

The advantage of firing up v32 without anything called wallet.dat in your darkcoin directory, copying the new address it will generate upon generating a fresh wallet.dat, then closing v32, starting v31 and sending your balance to the new v32 address is... that you wont suffer a rare but possible case of wallet corruption.

Up to you! :tongue:

DS+ gets through a lot of keys - burner addresses for each transaction basically.

The advantage of firing up v32 without anything called wallet.dat in your darkcoin directory, copying the new address it will generate upon generating a fresh wallet.dat, then closing v32, starting v31 and sending your balance to the new v32 address is... that you wont suffer a rare but possible case of wallet corruption.

Oh I know I have to migrate my coins... Although last night I contemplated on putting all my coins in a brown bag and bury them until Evan finishes his development . lol...
The reason I'm asking this question is pure curiosity of the technology. I might not understand it completely, but i'm still curious. :)

Edit: And thanks for your answer. You did migrate your coins (in windows wallet) like that and had no problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bury all your coins in a brown bag???:what: No real need but you could use paper wallets of 1k drk and keep it in a bank deposit box.:grin:

Figuratively speaking, I was joking :) but this new wallet does sound scary. Like if the keys can't be written back to the wallet.dat, that's an issue we have to be careful in dealing with this now. I'm not sure how paper wallets work with the new version. I guess if we want to migrate paper wallets to v.32, best way is to use the stable version and not DS version?

Figuratively speaking, I was joking :) but this new wallet does sound scary. Like if the keys can't be written back to the wallet.dat, that's an issue we have to be careful in dealing with this now. I'm not sure how paper wallets work with the new version. I guess if we want to migrate paper wallets to v.32, best way is to use the stable version and not DS version?
Stable versions are best until beta is over with and this problem is solved in the final stable DS wallet.
All those who haven't updated will eventually download this final stable wallet and be okay.

regarding the legality:

Set up a darkcoin limited liability company. Then, somehow register darkcoin as a religion. Then, somehow buy a plot of land on an American Indian reservation. Then, code laws on your sovereign plot of land that includes any and all darkcoin users as members of your religion, company, indian tribe. Rinse and repeat until there are darkcoin safehavens in every country and state.

i'm halfway serious ; p

I don't understand the concern. The issue only exists if you try to use an existing encrypted wallet.dat with V32. How would this effect paper wallets as you would have to generate a new wallet.dat (which have no reported problems) and then import your private key.

I don't understand the concern. The issue only exists if you try to use an existing encrypted wallet.dat with V32. How would this effect paper wallets as you would have to generate a new wallet.dat (which have no reported problems) and then import your private key.

Because I'm confused? lol. I was wondering if the new wallet version with 1000 keys also had effect on changing the private key structure. But I guess not. Thanks.

Edit: Also, I don't know much about paper wallets, have never done it. And I was told using paper wallets online isn't a good idea.

I did the this but sent them from v32 to v32 all seems ok on ubuntu and my mates windows.

I installed the Stable version (v.0.9.12.32), and migrated my old wallet.dat (v.10.11.5) to this Stable version and it runs fine. I was apprehensive (and i'm not the only one) when hearing of the issues with the DS wallets.

I would recommend using the Stable version (v.0.9.12.32) from darkcoin.io if someone is not sure. I'll install the DS wallet version on another computer and play with it again. :)

regarding the legality:

Set up a darkcoin limited liability company. Then, somehow register darkcoin as a religion. Then, somehow buy a plot of land on an American Indian reservation. Then, code laws on your sovereign plot of land that includes any and all darkcoin users as members of your religion, company, indian tribe. Rinse and repeat until there are darkcoin safehavens in every country and state.

i'm halfway serious ; p

Oglala Lakota Tribe (it should be a nation, right?) is all about Bitcoin. Someone has to tell them:

2009 Bitcoin
2014 Darkcoin

Oglala source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasperh...erican-tribe-launches-its-own-cryptocurrency/

Yes! We should to coach them into taking any and every opportunity they can as a nation within the United States. They should be the soft drug, fireworks, gambling, cat housers, and crypto capitalists of the northern hemisphere.

And you know the united states would have a hard time fucking with them because it would be political suicide for anyone in office.

2 things:

1. I started a new windows wallet, and imported my denominated account numbers one by one. Toward the end, it wouldn't accept my last few accounts, as it kept freezing. Wallet is still freezing, and my new funds are considered unmixed. So don't bother with this, it's time consuming and didn't work :)

2. I was wondering if we had our own tor-like system, could it hook into the browser of the user's choice? Or do we have to create our own browser?

2 things:

1. I started a new windows wallet, and imported my denominated account numbers one by one. Toward the end, it wouldn't accept my last few accounts, as it kept freezing. Wallet is still freezing, and my new funds are considered unmixed. So don't bother with this, it's time consuming and didn't work :)

2. I was wondering if we had our own tor-like system, could it hook into the browser of the user's choice? Or do we have to create our own browser?
1. Disable DS+, move all your coins into one address, then dumprivkey/importprivkey for that address only. Works fine for me.

2. I was thinking along the lines of, buy some time/bandwidth on the MasterNet in-wallet, get given a token to go with a proxy MN address, point your existing browser at the proxy... :)

1. Disable DS+, move all your coins into one address, then dumprivkey/importprivkey for that address only. Works fine for me.

2. I was thinking along the lines of, buy some time/bandwidth on the MasterNet in-wallet, get given a token to go with a proxy MN address, point your existing browser at the proxy... :)

1. Yah, I did that (a lot of work!) My funds were denominated already, but came out undenomonated (as not anonymous) AND my new wallet (windows 7, 64bit) continued to go non-responsive. I just transferred my fund to a new wallet. I'll have to see if this fixes the issue.

2. interesting idea.

Finally, another question. Does anyone know if, when you send your coins in for mixing, you are paired up with random people each time you do a cycle? Or is it likely that you're being paired up with the same person? If, for example, as I understand it, you go in every 10 rounds, then it's likely that you'll go in with the same person each time. Then when you spend your coins, there will be a known account at the input end and exit, undoing the rest, or am I wrong? certainly for one round and only two people, this isn't secure.

Another example, I had all my funds denominated. Now, I've sent them all to one address in a new wallet. It's obvious now that all those addresses belonged to one wallet. Will they expose all the people I've paired with (or person?) I went 3 rounds and if I went 3 rounds with the same person, that'd be a problem. (I think) Or?

Finally, one last question while I'm at it. What does the priority in the wallet mean and how do you set it (if possible). Sometimes it says low, some times low medium and sometimes medium. However, I don't see a way to set this? Thanks!

Tante you don't have to move them denominated address by denominated address, just send the whole lot in one go to one (or a new) address, should only take a few seconds!

I think how DS works is we have to wait for other people who are also mixing coins to pair with. That's why we see DS Status often says "Waiting for more entries". And it takes a long time when there're not many people doing the mixing, or your coins won't be anonymized at all when there's 0 person out there. I'm wondering if Evan can create a robotic mechanism to do the pairing so we don't have to wait, and it will be awesome to see anonymizing get done in just a few minutes instead of hours. Please correct me if I'm wrong or unrealistic! :)

Tante you don't have to move them denominated address by denominated address, just send the whole lot in one go to one (or a new) address, should only take a few seconds!
Yes, I know, but I wanted to keep the work I paid for, ie, denominated into anonymous addresses. I was able to transfer them into the new wallet, but they came up as non anonymous coins. AND the wallet was still laggy. So I eventually just sent the whole amount to a third wallet. So far that wallet seems to be acting normally, but I haven't tried denominating those funds yet.

Moli, you mean like have your wallet say "I'm ready to do some denominating, let me know when others are too" and when there is a match, then you wallet unlocks itself or something and they get denominated?

Back