• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash is a community. What is its purpose?

What is the purpose of the Dash community?

• Total voters

demo

Although we are a community here, we have not a clearly defined purpose. This is a vote, in order for our purpose to be defined accurately.

I added some possible purposes. In case you think of an alternative purpose, please ask me and I will add it immediatly as a poll option.

Last edited:
Dash is financial sovereignty and comes before community.
This is fundamentaly flawed. You cannot be financial sovereignt without a community. The community defines what financial is. The economy cannot be defined outside the scope of a community.

Do you think you have financial sovereignty and you own your Dash? Of course you dont! You own your dash simply because all the rest Dash community allows you to own it. If decided, it is very easy for the community to confiscate your whole Dash, especially if you are a masternode owner with a static IP and a well known Dash address.

Last edited:
This is fundamentaly flawed. You cannot be financial sovereignt without a community. The community defines what financial is. The economy cannot be defined outside the scope of a community.

Do you think you have financial sovereignty and you own your Dash? Of course you dont! You own your dash simply because all the rest Dash community allows you to own it. If decided, it is very easy for the community to confiscate your whole Dash, especially if you are a masternode owner with a static IP and a well known Dash address.

The challenge is on, take my dash.

The challenge is on, take my dash.
It is very easy, as long as the community can associate your forum nickname with your masternode. You already told us that, you have a masternode badge, so we know your masternode's dash address. Knowing that, the community can easily do a hard fork of the blockchain, exclude your address from having 1000 dash in this new fork, and thus confiscate all your Dash. This is already done in ethereum case, where they confiscated all the eth that belonged to the hacker. Fortunately in ethereum case, a community supported the hacker, and thats how ethereum-classic appeared and the hacker still have his eth-classic. The hacker's financial sovereignty depended on community support. But in your case, and as long as you call this a challenge, you will be alone, no community will support you, and you will lose all your dash.

If you really mean that, I can ask the forum administrator to reveal your masternode address, then I can ask the development team to do the appropriate hard fork. I could also pay them 1000 dash for that, hoping they will agree to receive this amount to do this dirty job. But you dont serioulsy mean that, do you?

In the future the community will demand a proof of individuality for every masternode owner. A masternode owner who has not a forum nickname and a masternode badge or alternatively prove his individuality in another way (captcha, meeting e.t.c), he will be declared as suspect of being a spy, and all his dash will be confiscated. And you may say, thats impossible to force masternodes to prove their individuality. Well it isnt. As you already may know, someone can run a masternode without paying the collateral fee. In that case, he is an equal peer, with the only disadvantage that he does not receive the masternode payment. So the community may run many nodes like that, and when they overcome the number of the real masternodes, they can fork and leave the masternodes who refuse to prove their individuality alone. In fear of this hard fork, all the masternodes will prove their individuality.

Last edited:
It is very easy, as long as the community can associate your forum nickname with your masternode. You already told us that, you have a masternode badge, so we know your masternode's dash address. Knowing that, the community can easily do a hard fork of the blockchain, exclude your address from having 1000 dash in this new fork, and thus confiscate all your Dash. This is already done in ethereum case, where they confiscated all the eth that belonged to the hacker. Fortunately in ethereum case, a community supported the hacker, and thats how ethereum-classic appeared and the hacker still have his eth-classic. The hacker's financial sovereignty depended on community support. But in your case, and as long as you call this a challenge, you will be alone, no community will support you, and you will lose all your dash.

If you really mean that, I can ask the forum administrator to reveal your masternode address, then I can ask the development team to do the appropriate hard fork. I could also pay them 1000 dash for that, hoping they will agree to receive this amount to do this dirty job. But you dont serioulsy mean that, do you?

In the future the community will demand a proof of individuality for every masternode owner. A masternode owner who has not a forum nickname and a masternode badge or alternatively prove his individuality in another way (captcha, meeting e.t.c), he will be declared as suspect of being a spy, and all his dash will be confiscated. And you may say, thats impossible to force masternodes to prove their individuality. Well it isnt. As you already may know, someone can run a masternode without paying the collateral fee. In that case, he is an equal peer, with the only disadvantage that he does not receive the masternode payment. So the community may run many nodes like that, and when they overcome the number of the real masternodes, they can fork and leave the masternodes who refuse to prove their individuality alone. In fear of this hard fork, all the masternodes will prove their individuality.

That's fine, go ahead, it's easy, right?

"Dash is a community."

No. It isn't.

The first sentence is horseshit.

Everything after the first sentence is even worse horseshit.

That's fine, go ahead, it's easy, right?
The difficcult part is to convince the core team to do it. Only them can do it smothly in the next major update, without the masternode network even to notice about it. Because another difficult part is that most of the masternode owners think the way you do, they believe they have financial sovereignty, they dont understand that they rely on community acceptance and on the loyalty of the core team, and they will be shocked if discover what is going on in reality.

Do you think that if we pay the core team 1000 dash they will accept to hard fork the blockchain and confiscate your masternode? Maybe they want more money for that, because most people from the core team are extremely rich, and they dont work just for 1000 dash.

But let us ask them about it. @UdjinM6, what do you think?

Last edited:
For them todo that I would think a proposal would have to be submitted. I don’t think any master node would vote yes unless the person truly was acting in a negative way towards the network. As it would set a bad precedent for taking money from its users. I mean what would the stop from taking dash funds from anyone that spoke against dash? Confiscation of anyone’s dash is a slippery slope. What then makes dash better then government currencies.

For them todo that I would think a proposal would have to be submitted. I don’t think any master node would vote yes unless the person truly was acting in a negative way towards the network. As it would set a bad precedent for taking money from its users. I mean what would the stop from taking dash funds from anyone that spoke against dash? Confiscation of anyone’s dash is a slippery slope. What then makes dash better then government currencies.
Yet it is technically possible. And I described the way the community can confiscate money from masternodes , even if all masternodes disagree with it.

So are you going to start your own fork of dash?
Start it alone? Of course not.
A hard fork needs infrastructure.
I have only one poor home internet connection.
A hard fork also needs community support.

Come on @demo, I'm waiting for you to prove how easy it is. So far it's proven difficult for us to shut you up in the forums, let alone take someone's dash. But yeah, you can join forces with anyone else here that wastes their time complaining than doing something more productive.

Come on @demo, I'm waiting for you to prove how easy it is. So far it's proven difficult for us to shut you up in the forums, let alone take someone's dash. But yeah, you can join forces with anyone else here that wastes their time complaining than doing something more productive.
Ok I ll try it. The first step is to find out how I can run a masternode peer (a peer that is not paid) from my home. And if we become 5000 peers online, then the masternodes may be afraid of us.

I remember someone told me in the forum that I can run a masternode peer (without expecting payments). He was a masternode owner. As far as I remember, from the core team. But I dont remember who told me that and where.
Do I need to put the below in dash.conf?
staking=1
Someone to help me on that.

Last edited:
Ok I ll try it.
The first step is to find out how I can run a peer (non masternode) from my home.
And if we become 5000 peers online, then the masternodes may be afraid of us.

How would that cause fear?
If you decide that you have a better way why not start you own coin and not worry about masternodes at all. I mean one of the great things about crypto is anyone with time and determination can create a coin based on thier values.

How would that cause fear?
If you decide that you have a better way why not start you own coin and not worry about masternodes at all. I mean one of the great things about crypto is anyone with time and determination can create a coin based on thier values.
It will cause fear because of the community.
The masternodes are 300 people at max, while the mastenode-peers will be 5000.
I am not talking about a new coin. I am talking about a hard fork, like ETH is to ETH-classic and bitcoin-cash is to bitcoin.

Well a vps running dashd. Is only 5 bucks a month 5000 nodes is only like 25k to do it doesn’t prove those 5000 are individuals and not just a handful of people spinning up vps.

Back