• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Darkcoin Wallet - Passphrase Question

jamrags

Hi,

I'm trying to send some Darkcoins from my Wallet but I'm finding it is asking me for a passphrase, i can't recall creating one.

The message is The operation needs your wallet passphrase to unlock the wallet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Did you initially start your darkcoin-qt with a fresh wallet?
Does your wallet show a closed lock in the lower right corner? If so there must be a passphrase protecting it.

Did you initially start your darkcoin-qt with a fresh wallet?
Does your wallet show a closed lock in the lower right corner? If so there must be a passphrase protecting it.
yes there is a locked padlock in the bottom right.

And you cant even imagine that you ever created a passphrase?

Yes this was a fresh wallet,

I don't recall being prompted to create one, at what point would this have been requested?

I've tried a load of known passwords but to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think normally it's a manual job? Good practice though, esp if you have a lot of coins.

Sadly, if you don't recall it, I think the wallet has been lost... Could be wrong though?

I might be crazy, but perhaps you could look in the source code to find where it stores the password hash, find it on your system, then hash for it with a miner/rainbow tables? That is, if it stores the hash at all. This information is likely to be in wallet.dat, if loading your wallet file in another wallet doesn't resolve the issue. Do you have a lot of money at stake?

I might be crazy, but perhaps you could look in the source code to find where it stores the password hash, find it on your system, then hash for it with a miner/rainbow tables? That is, if it stores the hash at all. This information is likely to be in wallet.dat, if loading your wallet file in another wallet doesn't resolve the issue. Do you have a lot of money at stake?
That wont work. I dont know of any case where mining/bruteforcing/rainbowing the wallet succeeded.

The only thing that works is if you know how the passphrase *could have been* you can use wallet recovery services like
http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/
http://www.recoinvery.com/

Yes this was a fresh wallet,

I don't recall being prompted to create one, at what point would this have been requested?

I've tried a load of known passwords but to no avail.
It asks you to introduce a passphrase twice when you click in 'Encrypt wallet'. It even tells you that if you lose the passphrase you'll lose your coins. I don't see how you could have encrypted your wallet without knowing. Does someone else have access to your computer?

Someone has locked your wallet. who has access to your computer? Without the password, your coins are basically gone. Hopefully you didn't have much in there. You have to select encrypt wallet, then enter the new password twice and press enter. Do you have kids?? Hopefully you can figure it out.

nightmare I purchased some coins so hoping the same password or a variation of it is being used, has anyone tried any of the recover sites? any reccomendations

I don't think there is anything you can do without knowing that passphrase. I know people that have lost $60,000 in BTC in wallets they forgot the passwords to... Good luck, hope you figure it out.

Usually the wallet recovery services work by the customer supplying known variations of their passphrase. For instance it started with "Dandelion" If you have absolutely no idea what the passphrase could be, your basically out of luck.

And we have another one in the password trap :-( how much dark have you put onto the wallet??
I made the same mistake with transferring 1000drk into an encrypted wallet and I never recovered the password yet. If you find a way to reduce the amount of possible passwords to several millions then you might be lucky but if don't know anything about the password you have to wait for quantum computers.

WOW, good news story I stumbled across the password turns out it was the same as my work password..... the amount of passwords I've been entering geeesss....

And you cant even imagine that you ever created a passphrase?
I have the same problem. Never was asked to create a pass phrase, and did NOT encrypt, yet it is asking for passphrase and it is encrypted. How is this possible.

I'm wondering if it is the same pass phrase as the dark coin wallet used. Will try that.
A few minutes later: Okay, that worked. It would be nice if Dash.org had good instructions for this and didn't just assume that people know how to do this. It never occurred to me that a new wallet would have the same passphrase and the old wallet. Glad that problem is solved.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I installed on MAC. Never was asked to crete a passphrase. Nor did I choose to encrypt, but it is locked and I have no pass phrase.
What the heck???

is the little symbol in bottom right corner showing you locked or not ?
if yes - it is encrypted and ONLY u could have done it !

is the little symbol in bottom right corner showing you locked or not ?
if yes - it is encrypted and ONLY u could have done it !

Thanks, I figured it out. When I installed the Dash wallet, it did NOT give me the opportunity to create a pass phrase, nor did it ask if I wanted it to be encrypted.
Nevertheless it was locked. What I didn't realize is that the DASH wallet is basically just an upgraded version of the dark coin wallet, and it moved my pass phrase and encryption choice to the new DASH waltet automatically. So I used my darkcoin wallet pass phrase and was able to unlock it. I immediately relocked it and all is well.

I'm a teacher and I am surprised that DASH would not have basic written instructions on it's site explaining how simple it is to move a .dat file,
and how to make your library visible on a MAC and how to save the file to another location as backup, and how to copy and paste it into the new DASH folder.
Would have saved me about three houses of reading through complicated wrong answers to find the one simple one that worked.

Thanks!
Donna

Back