• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Darkcoin Fork in The Road

Number #1 or #2

• #1 (one)

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • #2 (two)

Votes: 87 91.6%
  • #3 (three) Don't understand the implications of what I am voting for; please explain in more detail.

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eduffield

Core Developer
I wanted to put this out there to get the communities take on what Darkcoin should be in the future. I think there's a fork is the road for Darkcoin. I have a few different ideas for what masternodes could do. A few months ago when I came up with the idea of paying Masternodes I was thinking they could pretty much decentralize everything on the internet. That being said, it looks like other coins are already focusing on this.

As a result I don't believe we should do what others are doing. The thing I think we've really succeeded at is building an anonymity layer that's robust enough to provide nearly total anonymity while also not bloating the blockchain. I don't think there's much competition on that front and we have the brand for that service.

So we need to choose one of these options:

1.) We provide services and try to compete with centralized and next-gen decentralized providers. I think this hurts the anonymity brand by diluting what we're doing.

2.) We focus on providing a host of anonymity services using the Darksend implementation. This would mean my next project would be to rewrite electrum to use the masternodes to anonymize funds, then an android wallet that can use Darksend, then iPhone, etc. The foundation would also be tasked with trying to get businesses to accept Darkcoin and expand the user base.

I think I want to go with #2. It means that ALL users will have an out-of-the-box nearly perfect anonymous payment solution, which could be a big deal in the near term future.

Also, going with #2 would mean we abandon providing Darktor/Iris and similar services.

My vote for what it's worth.. would be 2.

Reasons:
Get darkcoin singing first. Stick to the goal.

Then: If there is some sort of api to plug into the masternodes, Darktor, etc can be built by other people (with your input of course).
As long as masternode owners get paid for their bandwidth. But that is the joy of opensource.. People can get involved, and can be encouraged to get involved.

Yes, the initial idea behind Darkcoin was anonymity services via the Darksend. We should focus on delivering this first and then work on #3, #4 and so on. My vote is for #2! Thank you!

i would choose #2 as well, lets focus on further developing, finalizing and marketing the anonymous payment solution which frankly was the goal from start.

I go for #2 too! For the simple reason that I think we have a mission to accomplish and we are not done yet. Stick to the mission, once we have a strong anonymous payment ecosystem we can move to more things.

Perfecting Darksend+ and IP obfuscation should be top priorities.

I quite like the idea of a third party adding services to the masternodes, not sure how easy that would be to implement though or what the process would be for adding new services to the masternodes. Maybe mini masternodes could also be added for different services, requiring 200 or 500 DRK for example.

A few months ago when I came up with the idea of paying Masternodes I was thinking they could pretty much decentralize everything on the internet. That being said, it looks like other coins are already focusing on this.

As a result I don't believe we should do what others are doing.

Does that mean other coins will abandon this idea now? :grin::grin:
For obvious reasons :tongue:

#2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2
Yep, I`m there...
Like jpr said meaby after #2 DONE why not to go #3?
Evan go for FULL ANNONYMITY!

Ed, without any shadow of a doubt #2 gets my vote.

In my eyes #3 should be private text only messaging.

Definitely #2. Get Darkcoin as perfect as possible. Make Darksend+ easy to use, robust, and as damn near anonymous as possible. Introduce IP obfuscation. Make everything fully functional and damn close to perfect.

Then work on DarkTor type stuff, or anonymous messaging type stuff, etc.

#2. Adoption by the mainstream is the key to survival. Development of an easy to use out of the box solution is the only way to go. Joe schmo is not going to randomly attempt to start using any crypto if it isnt simple.

And a bulletin board on the 101/202 interchange would be a nice start. Commuters would have to sit and stare at darkcoin while stuck in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back