Darkcoin Fork in The Road

Number #1 or #2

• #1 (one)

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • #2 (two)

Votes: 87 91.6%
  • #3 (three) Don't understand the implications of what I am voting for; please explain in more detail.

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eduffield

Core Developer
Mar 9, 2014
I wanted to put this out there to get the communities take on what Darkcoin should be in the future. I think there's a fork is the road for Darkcoin. I have a few different ideas for what masternodes could do. A few months ago when I came up with the idea of paying Masternodes I was thinking they could pretty much decentralize everything on the internet. That being said, it looks like other coins are already focusing on this.

As a result I don't believe we should do what others are doing. The thing I think we've really succeeded at is building an anonymity layer that's robust enough to provide nearly total anonymity while also not bloating the blockchain. I don't think there's much competition on that front and we have the brand for that service.

So we need to choose one of these options:

1.) We provide services and try to compete with centralized and next-gen decentralized providers. I think this hurts the anonymity brand by diluting what we're doing.

2.) We focus on providing a host of anonymity services using the Darksend implementation. This would mean my next project would be to rewrite electrum to use the masternodes to anonymize funds, then an android wallet that can use Darksend, then iPhone, etc. The foundation would also be tasked with trying to get businesses to accept Darkcoin and expand the user base.

I think I want to go with #2. It means that ALL users will have an out-of-the-box nearly perfect anonymous payment solution, which could be a big deal in the near term future.

Also, going with #2 would mean we abandon providing Darktor/Iris and similar services.

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
# 2
and as dark as possible please ..>
tx

Reactions: georgem

darkwing

Apr 8, 2014
My vote for what it's worth.. would be 2.

Reasons:
Get darkcoin singing first. Stick to the goal.

Then: If there is some sort of api to plug into the masternodes, Darktor, etc can be built by other people (with your input of course).
As long as masternode owners get paid for their bandwidth. But that is the joy of opensource.. People can get involved, and can be encouraged to get involved.

Light

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Yes, the initial idea behind Darkcoin was anonymity services via the Darksend. We should focus on delivering this first and then work on #3, #4 and so on. My vote is for #2! Thank you!

qwizzie

Aug 6, 2014
i would choose #2 as well, lets focus on further developing, finalizing and marketing the anonymous payment solution which frankly was the goal from start.

Minotaur

Foundation Member
Apr 7, 2014
I go for #2 too! For the simple reason that I think we have a mission to accomplish and we are not done yet. Stick to the mission, once we have a strong anonymous payment ecosystem we can move to more things.

patrolman

Mar 9, 2014
www.dash.pics
Perfecting Darksend+ and IP obfuscation should be top priorities.

I quite like the idea of a third party adding services to the masternodes, not sure how easy that would be to implement though or what the process would be for adding new services to the masternodes. Maybe mini masternodes could also be added for different services, requiring 200 or 500 DRK for example.

Reactions: georgem

BrainShutdown

Foundation Member
Apr 8, 2014
#2 all the way! Focus on anonymous payments for everybody on all possible platforms.

jpr

May 11, 2014
A few months ago when I came up with the idea of paying Masternodes I was thinking they could pretty much decentralize everything on the internet. That being said, it looks like other coins are already focusing on this.

As a result I don't believe we should do what others are doing.
Does that mean other coins will abandon this idea now? :D:D
For obvious reasons :tongue:

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
#2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2 #2
Yep, I`m there...
Like jpr said meaby after #2 DONE why not to go #3?
Evan go for FULL ANNONYMITY!

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Jul 31, 2014
Ed, without any shadow of a doubt #2 gets my vote.

In my eyes #3 should be private text only messaging.

David

Dash Support Group
Jun 21, 2014
Definitely #2. Get Darkcoin as perfect as possible. Make Darksend+ easy to use, robust, and as damn near anonymous as possible. Introduce IP obfuscation. Make everything fully functional and damn close to perfect.

Then work on DarkTor type stuff, or anonymous messaging type stuff, etc.

Taurine

Mar 28, 2014
#2. Adoption by the mainstream is the key to survival. Development of an easy to use out of the box solution is the only way to go. Joe schmo is not going to randomly attempt to start using any crypto if it isnt simple.

And a bulletin board on the 101/202 interchange would be a nice start. Commuters would have to sit and stare at darkcoin while stuck in traffic.

alex-ru

Grizzled Member
Dash Support Group
Jul 14, 2014

It'll be nice to offer DarkSend's infrastructure - to torproject.org's and similar projects with lots of users. Mainly not to earn money for MN - but to promote DarkCoin technology to new users, PR and so on.

Reactions: TaoOfSatoshi

oaxaca

Foundation Member
Jul 8, 2014
<Sarcasm>
If all of you want #2, then I vote for #1.
</Sarcasm>

As a masternode owner, I will gladly reduce my "web of everything tx fees" if we can get this thing locked up tight. #2 all the way.

mbilker

Aug 7, 2014
#2 all the way. Focusing on one thing that is hard will differentiate Darkcoin from the competition.

N

nj47

I love the idea of #1, and what it means for the internet - but I don't think that is necessarily what is best for the future of darkcoin, for exactly what you said, there will be a lot of competition in that market and it dilutes what darkcoin is about.

That being said, I do think masternodes have the potential to offer additional "services," maybe something like the concept of an oracle? But it is probably a good idea to let this side of the project be an evolving discussion over time where we find the best ideas and implement them after we have aired out all of the details.

But as far as the present is concerned, #2 all the way. Focus on making darkcoin out of the box anonymous for any use case - electrum, mobile wallets, etc.

Walter

Masternode Owner/Operator
Jul 17, 2014
I vote #2. We have to prioritize and the 'network' effect is critical, and mainstream adoption can only be achieved if the interface is user friendly, cross-platform, and easy to use. It's as simple as that. A currency with full anonymity without quality cross-platform software to use it is like owning a Ferrari without an engine... ;)

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
LOL 12 votes all #2

Status
Not open for further replies.