• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Complete, Step-By-Step-Guides, Suitable for Noobs and Experienced Users Alike!

I checked your IP again and see that you have updated to the latest version! Fantastic! It seems you are up and ruining well. Any other issues on your end?

In the install-darkcoin-daemon article,

wget <new version location> (Probably: wget <github-link>)
Now change the name from "darkcoind?raw=true" to simply "darkcoind"
sudo mv darkcoind?raw=true darkcoind

You can probably get it in one command:

wget -O darkcoind <github-link>

*note: I can't even post the github link in here, as I'm not yet "trusted". Just put the raw github link to the binaries in where it says <github-link>

In the install-darkcoin-daemon article,

You can probably get it in one command:

wget -O darkcoind <github-link>

*note: I can't even post the github link in here, as I'm not yet "trusted". Just put the raw github link to the binaries in where it says <github-link>

When I wrote the guide I wondered if there was a command which would rename the file at the same time it downloaded it. After looking up the "-O" switch and testing it out it seems you are correct! Thanks a lot! I will edit the instructions to reflect this.

great guide, just wondering, how important is it to set a really long random password in the .conf file? When i set a really long random password, I got an authentication error when trying to run the darkcoind -getinfo command...

great guide, just wondering, how important is it to set a really long random password in the .conf file? When i set a really long random password, I got an authentication error when trying to run the darkcoind -getinfo command...

I just like to be as safe and careful as possible...and at times that may lead to overkill. That said, I am not sure why you got the authentication error...but am I to assume that when you changed to a somewhat shorter password you had success?

I just like to be as safe and careful as possible...and at times that may lead to overkill. That said, I am not sure why you got the authentication error...but am I to assume that when you changed to a somewhat shorter password you had success?

yep, with a shortened password seems to work...

Thanks for putting this together, I have not used Linux in so many years. This helped me get a testnet master node running. Can anyone explain the dumpprivkey, this was not in many other guides I've read.

Thanks for putting this together, I have not used Linux in so many years. This helped me get a testnet master node running. Can anyone explain the dumpprivkey, this was not in many other guides I've read.

First a bit of background on public and private keys, since I don't know what level of knowledge you have about such things. When you use a darkcoin address (or bitcoin, or most any other crypto-coin) to give to people to send you money, that address is actually a "public" address. It corresponds to another "private" address which is NOT given out to others. If someone has the private address it is a fairly trivial matter to generate the corresponding public address used for receiving funds, but if someone has the public address it is impossible to generate the private address used for sending or spending funds. So...the private address may be thought of as sort of a "secret password" that can be used to access the funds sent to a darkcoin address.

Now, I will explain the "dumpprivkey" part of my tutorial. When using computers, things can go wrong. There are a LOT of ways data can be lost. Since we are essentially dealing with money here, it would be very unfortunate to lose 1000DRK. By having you generate and save the private key for your 0th address, I am helping to protect you in the unlikely event of some problem later on down the road. If something bad happens later and your computer is lost, stolen, broken, etc., you can use the private key to access your darkcoin. One way, for example, would be to create a new darkcoin wallet, and then "import" the private key into the new wallet. Assuming that no one actually spent the darkcoin (for example if the computer was hacked or stolen, and then the thief sent the darkcoin to another address) then your new wallet will now "contain" the DRK from your original wallet, in the same address as your original wallet. At that point, you could should then send those DRK on to a different darkcoin address that you own, NOT contained in the original wallet; this is because if someone DOES have access to your original wallet they could still spend them later...unless you spend them first!

I am not sure if all of this was clear. The bottom line is that the "dumpprvkey" step is not essential to the actual set-up of the masternode...but if you DON'T do this step you may be VERY unhappy about it in the future...so please DO take this step...it is your only insurance against the loss of the 1000DRK you're sending to your masternode, and any other DRK which your masternode will accrue over time.

Hello!
This instruction is not relevant for creating a dash pool?

I understand that the problem is due to the renaming of the crypto currency, could you update the instruction?
Thank you

These are actually very old instructions. I don't even use them myself any longer. You would be better off looking for updated instructions on the forums here. If you have any specific questions though, I will help if I can.

Back