• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal: User Friendly Raspberry Pi DASH custom built nodes

InTheWoods

Foundation Member
User Friendly Raspberry Pi DASH custom built nodes would be a great way to further decentralize the DASH network, by putting a masternode in the hand of every user. It would increase anonymity a lot and strengthen the network.

@MrChrisEllis is interested in exploring the idea. He already built some custom Bitcoin nodes, using quality memory modules, usb sticks and fans. He will be on Keiser Report tomorrow talking about his ongoing Bitcoin node project.

The first Masternode user friendly prototype could pave the way to putting a masternode into the hands of every DASH user. The RasPI masternode would come set up and ready to go out of the gate. People could just plug it in and start earning DASH, simple and easy.

I have already donated a few DASH towards setting up the first masternode but more would be required.

I think this is a noble and smart pursuit. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
DashPi - I like the idea, but i have to point out that Dash Evolution may have much higher system requirements than Dash 0.12.x (eg. 40GB of HDD space). So you'll have to keep this in mind while designing a DashPi :)

6 DashDrive
Each member of the second tier will be required to have a specific amount of storage space in order to power the DashDrive filesystem. By sharding the storage via the collateral transaction hash, we can define 1024 different shared storage devices on the network. We use 1024 because, we can identify shards by using the first 10 bits of a unique hash per storage object. For example, with a 40GB allocation requirement, the network can enjoy about 40960GB of storage space.

--> https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPaper-v13-v1.pdf

I'm curious what are the economics on running a masternode on a pi? how long before it pays off?

DashPi - I like the idea, but i have to point out that Dash Evolution may have much higher system requirements than Dash 0.12.x (eg. 40GB of HDD space). So you'll have to keep this in mind while designing a DashPi :)

--> https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPaper-v13-v1.pdf

When is Dash drive expected to be released? Drive space issue could easily be resolved by using a higher capacity flash drive. I own a 256GB USB3 flash drive and there are even bigger ones out there. A 60GB would do the trick. It all depends on the ETA of the Dash drive though. This is not an issue yet.

Hi,

I am the guy that InTheWoods is talking about, he will be able to confirm my identity. I am @MrChrisEllis on Twitter and yesterday I began the #Fullnode project which I have named "Not (Just) Made In China".

This is mostly an art project, paying tribute to all the people working for slave wages in parts of the "developing world" (as if we're all not on the same planet) who provide people in "the West" with low cost consumer electronics that they often take for granted and rely on everyday.

However another aspect of it is to increase the decentralisation of Free Open Source p2p software across the world. I have started with Bitcoin and IPFS. I have also been following Darkcoin/Dash and am interested in getting involved in the project.

So yes in principle I am up for doing this. It's just a question of having time to sit down, install it all, understanding it well enough that I can go on air and teach other people how to do it.

An important part of the philosophy of this project is individual empowerment. I am not in the business of making plug 'n play devices for "noobs" so they can just switch it on and forget it. I am in the business of helping people become confident independent free thinkers capable of looking after their own shit as it were.

So anyway yes, I like the chat around this place. I also like and trust InTheWoods so I am up for doing this. I may have some questions about the ethos of Dash and some technical stuff but I will have to begin this after I have finished my current crowd fund.

Until then I look forward to meeting you all and trying this thing out.

I'm curious what are the economics on running a masternode on a pi? how long before it pays off?
Guess depends on your perspective.

I think it will pay off instantly by decentralizing the network even more, which in turn should help boost adoption and help grow the project. I believe it could also create a stronger bond between users and the project, making them more actively involved. Covering the costs of the node...well it would replace other hosting costs but this would be a one time cost. Electricity costs of running this thing are probably minimal. All the Bitcoin nodes Chris made sold out at around 100 pounds each.

Hi,

I am the guy that InTheWoods is talking about, he will be able to confirm my identity. I am @MrChrisEllis on Twitter and yesterday I began the #Fullnode project which I have named "Not (Just) Made In China".

This is mostly an art project, paying tribute to all the people working for slave wages in parts of the "developing world" (as if we're all not on the same planet) who provide people in "the West" with low cost consumer electronics that they often take for granted and rely on everyday.

However another aspect of it is to increase the decentralisation of Free Open Source p2p software across the world. I have started with Bitcoin and IPFS. I have also been following Darkcoin/Dash and am interested in getting involved in the project.

So yes in principle I am up for doing this. It's just a question of having time to sit down, install it all, understanding it well enough that I can go on air and teach other people how to do it.

An important part of the philosophy of this project is individual empowerment. I am not in the business of making plug 'n play devices for "noobs" so they can just switch it on and forget it. I am in the business of helping people become confident independent free thinkers capable of looking after their own shit as it were.

So anyway yes, I like the chat around this place. I also like and trust InTheWoods so I am up for doing this. I may have some questions about the ethos of Dash and some technical stuff but I will have to begin this after I have finished my current crowd fund.

Until then I look forward to meeting you all and trying this thing out.
Welcome to Dash, sir! Looking forward to your contributions to Dash. We could always use some more talented people!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg13168032#msg13168032

https://twitter.com/taoofsatoshi/status/673586490371371008

define pay off??

I've been running a Pi2b from home = 1MN [for months now]

What I've bought - so far

2x Pi2b's = 80
2x 8GB micro-SD = 20
2x 32GB micro-SD = 40
1x USB port/dock - for 10 USB solts (used as power supply 5V/3.0A) = 25
2X micro-USB power cables = 15
2X Ethernet cables (not using wifi) = 0
1x wifi USb dongle = 13
2x HDMI cables - 6
already had 2x keyboard and mouse = 0

I think I dropped $199USD on the whole thing
I doubled up on the Pi's because i plan to run a 2nd MN soon - remotely from a family members house [need a different IP addy]

BONUS *** No Server fees :-D and using the Internet IP address that I already have :-D ***

With Moocowmoo assistance - concentrated on crashes - most recent version is not all that stable as past versions - I might miss 1 payment a month but things are looking better.

There are actually a few of us that run PI-MN's
fuzzyduck and buster to name a couple :)

flare - I just wish Flare (hint - hint) w/could get the DASH-Pi release listed on the DASH.org/download site to bring greater awareness to the Pi :-D
[everything else is listed there :p

also been looking at "other" micro-computer boards -just in case I do need to upgrade the "spec's" of the hardware - bananaPi and snickerdoodle, I think it was.....

Last edited:
That's quite some money you poured into the pi2 MN.

I just bought the pi2 and the SD card. I already had the power supply and cable from an old mobile phone. I have never ever had it connected to a monitor so I didn't have to buy a HDMI Cable. Network cable I had lying around .

I think I have mine running for we'll over half a year now.

After some tinkering My current uptime atm is about 13weeks now I think. And with the cron job crash guard never missed a payment so far. (Yes v55 seems a bit unstable now and then)

Of course the 40gb can be on an external drive I reckon. You want as little read writes on the SD card as possible. Else it will die sooner.

If all else fails I have a server running Windows. On it is VMware running Owncloud in Linux.

I might as well start a second Linux image and run the Masternode there.

Hi,

Give a man a fish... Having some in-depth video podcast style tutorials is even better.

I'm sure there'll be others to build these based on a good working prototype so that even the less techie could get their hands on one. If aim is to also increase adoption one would have to come to terms with that fact that some are just not techie folks and will never be. I guess a huge % of the female population would fit in this category.

User Friendly Raspberry Pi DASH custom built nodes would be a great way to further decentralize the DASH network, by putting a masternode in the hand of every user. It would increase anonymity a lot and strengthen the network.

@MrChrisEllis is interested in exploring the idea. He already built some custom Bitcoin nodes, using quality memory modules, usb sticks and fans. He will be on Keiser Report tomorrow talking about his ongoing Bitcoin node project.

The first Masternode user friendly prototype could pave the way to putting a masternode into the hands of every DASH user. The RasPI masternode would come set up and ready to go out of the gate. People could just plug it in and start earning DASH, simple and easy.

I have already donated a few DASH towards setting up the first masternode but more would be required.

I think this is a noble and smart pursuit. What do you guys think?

Although, the idea of running a masternode on a pi is feasable, it isn't the best hardware to use for a masternode. There are guides available on dashtalk that walk you through how to do it. It takes about 2 hours mostly to wait for compiling the code.

Here is why this isn't the first choice(in my opinion) platform to run a masternode. (Sorry for being the bearer of bad news)
#1 A static IP address is required to run a masternode. What I have found is that it is cheaper to rent a VPS with a static IP than to get a static IP from an ISP.
#2 The new Dash software releases are not compiled for the ARM CPU. I think there are some compiled versions on github but the main dash.org doesn't post them. It takes 2 hours waiting for a pi to compile a new Dash version.
#3 You can rent a VPS and in 10 minutes have your wallet sync'd and be ready to activate.
#4 Running a masternode isn't plug and play. You will need about $2500 in funds and be careful setting up wallets and making backups so you don't loose your funds. You will also need to update every month or two. Masternode owners also have the ability to vote. Since they have an investment they will want to review proposals and decide how to vote. Not a ship it, set it up, and forget it solution you suggested.

An easier alternative that will support the Dash network is running a node as a liquidity provider:
I would suggest instead of running a masternode you run a liquidity provider. The Dash network allows mixing coins between other users. Any wallet that has at least 2 Dash can mix coins. 20 Dash($50) is probably the minimum useful amount. You could set it and leave it alone. It wouldn't require a static IP. There is some risk that you have funds in a hot wallet, but if you set a password and use proper firewall rules it will be safer. You will also need to add extra keys to your wallet and backup before you start up the node. There are some fees taken out for mixing which is about 0.5 dash/month running with the most aggressive setting.

Updating the software might be an issue if you only want to set it and forget it. Moocowmoo has some update scripts that might be help with this, but this will probably require some time every month or two.

As for hardware, you will want to get a case and cpu heatsinks for the PIs. Usually you can the heatsinks when you buy the case. The heatsinks help with stability and reduce crashing. The Dash nodes need about 350MB of ram and 10% CPU of a PI, reasonable for the 1GB ram PI 2. I would suggest against a fan - they will wear out and cause noise. The good news is that the dash blockchain is only about 1.6GB so you don't have to worry about trying to fit the 55+GB bitcoin blockchain on a microSD card.

I would be happy to help with more information. Just let me know which direction you are thinking would be best.

also been looking at "other" micro-computer boards -just in case I do need to upgrade the "spec's" of the hardware - bananaPi and snickerdoodle, I think it was.....
As for alternatives to the PI, I have tried out several.
BananaPro - 2 core/1gb ram like the pi. Drivers are a pain. GPIO pins don't really work right. Bad documentation and information. It does have an SATA port, but still needs to boot from the microsd. (I give this a do not buy)

Raspberry Pi 2 B - 4 core/1gb ram Work like champs. Ran a node on one for a while. Should be able to run 2 nodes on each pi. Now I have 2 that run openelec and stream from my mythtv computer. Barely handle the 1080P but 720P is great (mpeg2 license is only $3). I also used a Pi to run a set of usb bitcoin miners. Very versatile - good software base and information.

Odroid-XU4 - Recent purchase. 8 core/2gb ram. Don't have it dialed in to steam media yet. Was planning to run myth, but no drivers for GPU. Would be plenty fast to run 3 or 4 nodes. Going to try running an android os to see what it will do. A little hard to find information. Not compatible with all software like the pi. They can run latest Ubuntu.

Like Solarminer said, a pi isn't the ideal platform for some of the more advanced things an evolution node will eventually be tasked to do.

But, I think building some images for people to plug-and-play wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the same vein as NOOBS, images that can be burned, plugged-in, and do all the OS install/config automatically could be useful.

I'd think a single image that could be reconfigured on-the-fly would be neat.

Maybe a menu system with an always-on status display and options to allow for switching between:
  • full node
  • liquidity provider
  • masternode
with prompts (and qr codes) instructing how to fund the LP or the MN.

It doesn't even have to be rpi specific. Any desktop board would be able to run evolution just fine.
The only concern then would be the quality of service on the users home Internet.

I fail to see how this is a core function of DASH? If you want to start a business selling these, why the hell should the blockchain be your welfare? How is it that people so easily confuse money with welfare? Or is that the life they grew up in so they don't realize there is a difference between money, and the people it's stolen from at gunpoint?

Why the actual fuck should the DASH blockchain pay for your startup idea? This isn't a free welfare money version of crowdfunding.

I already pointed out that the ODROID-XU4 is a far better platform with a very lightweight 14.04lts server image already, but so are 4096GB VPSes with native IPv6 hosted in datacenters with way better pipes than your 6Mbps ADSL. It's not just resource overhead. Evolution will be moving DashDrive data, constant DAPI requests, locking 1.5mil TXes per second... You got the pipe for that? This tiny-ARM idea is cute, but will it actually work sucking the ocean through a soda straw?

For that matter, why doesn't every DASH client download include a free VPS with self-installing masternode image so every retard can have a vote while not even knowing what just happened? Lets have DASH fund that!

GIVE ME MORE FREE STUFF AND DO ALL THE THINKING FOR ME!!! Free VPSes or you're a racist!

I have a great idea, lets have Masternodes pay for boob jobs for every homeless crackhead I can find in the next 4 years. Free tits! Who doesn't like that? The stipulation? She has to have the DASH logo tattooed across them. See, it's totally for the good of the project! I swear! Promotions! Nevermind that I'm a plastic surgeon... That has nothing at all to do with it!

Lets vote to shut off gravity, too! Stupid republicans and their gravity conspiracy! If not for them we could just flap our arms and fly around anywhere we wanted! DASH should pay for that!

I'd downvote this, but the current system funds everything with only 10% approval... Money hose attached to a pork barrel, yay!

When is Dash drive expected to be released? Drive space issue could easily be resolved by using a higher capacity flash drive.
Or NFS to your NAS over your local gigabit, which surely outpaces your WAN connection, which can't possibly keep up with... Oh nevermind...

Back