• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal : Promotion / Reimbursement / Core Team

I have some ideas about modeling software, using packages like matlab to simulate blockchain speed/efficiencies, stress testing and market dynamics.
Also willing to be a part time tester,testnet miner, answer forum questions, can writeup wikipedia articles if needed.

I should be able to go to Amsterdam in October which is very exciting to meet the team..

Of course, I will help as I can. :grin:

What I meant by my statement is that if we are budgeting $4500 or $5500 we should vote on how that funding is decided based on deliverables. If this portion of the proposal said after the funds are spent Dash promoters will have been to 2 conferences attended by 2 people, an ad in a major magazine, and some pictures and graphics used for promotion, that would be a much better proposal. If we don't know what we are spending the money on then, we should change it to a public awareness campaign plan for $500 or something until specific deliverables can be ascertained.

What we are proposing for this budget on the public awareness section is already destined to specific initiatives that are on the works, that includes formal press releases, promotion on some mainstream media publications, promotion in China, among other things. Like the announcement said this part is a pickle because you cant reveal everything up-front as then the campaigns lose impact. That is why we need a couple of community auditors maybe you could consider that position?

Eventually other budget proposals will come from different volunteers for every area e.g. development, promotion, etc, but there will always be official initiatives looking for community support through the system. For now, at the very beginning we are starting only with an official team proposal, just so there is more control and the system can be confirmed to be working correctly. Later there will be both official initiatives and volunteer projects in the system.

I really want to emphasise the importance of our volunteers !

This is an Open Source Project, and everybody is encouraged as always to do their part.
We need you (volunteers) as much as always and probably even more in the future as the project is
growing and more work will come our way !

We can NOT do it without you !

I have some ideas about modeling software, using packages like matlab to simulate blockchain speed/efficiencies, stress testing and market dynamics.
Also willing to be a part time tester,testnet miner, answer forum questions, can writeup wikipedia articles if needed.
Sub-Ether, This is fantastic. You would be perfectly qualified for a project I have in mind. Kind of related to this documentary Ghostplayer posted here:
Algorithmic Forex Trading!

The project would involve only one customer so it shouldn't need too much for database structure. The main code would work with masternodes and how they interact with each other. Specifically, high frequency manipulating of masternode inputs for hijacking payments to a specific address.
LOL! :grin:

What we are proposing for this budget on the public awareness section is already destined to specific initiatives that are on the works, that includes formal press releases, promotion on some mainstream media publications, promotion in China, among other things. Like the announcement said this part is a pickle because you cant reveal everything up-front as then the campaigns lose impact. That is why we need a couple of community auditors maybe you could consider that position?

Eventually other budget proposals will come from different volunteers for every area e.g. development, promotion, etc, but there will always be official initiatives looking for community support through the system. For now, at the very beginning we are starting only with an official team proposal, just so there is more control and the system can be confirmed to be working correctly. Later there will be both official initiatives and volunteer projects in the system.

Minotaur, we usually have two ways to get jobs quoted with my business. Per job where every deliverable is spelled out, or time and materials.

Can you phrase the proposal with total man-hours, or months expected to complete and how many people are involved? Include expenses or the major costs involved in the project. Even categories of expenses would help; travel, advertising, writing etc.

Can you see where I am coming from? If this is a 2 week deal and then we need more funding to keep going it doesn't sound reasonable. We are setting an example for future proposals. This should be proposed in a way that masternode owners will see the value and vote accordingly.

If you wanted a round of auditors, I would suggest Camosoul, Thelonecrouton, and myself since I believe we were the hardest on letting any pork barrel politics get through on the initial budgeting proposal vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not compensating people per hour or anything like that, our marketing expenses are going to be very specific. Press releases, content marketing, video creation, guest blogging, different things like that. Each initiative has a specific cost with a vendor, the vendors are well established services that perform this type of work in the US mainly. We are not really looking for an auditor about the initiatives, it has taken a lot of work from many people to put these together, like Tungfa, Fernando, Evan, kot, raico and alexy from China, myself, many have contributed in the process of sourcing and putting the pieces together.

We will just look for a couple of trusted community members who can act as accounting auditors, verify the values of the invoices and that things are paid appropriately when we do. Is a hard situation because you can't reveal the specific details about the campaigns before things are released, specially in public forums your competition will read too.

Volunteering on this is no privilege, is actually very hard work. I am currently working around 6 hours a day for Dash from my own office, I have constant meetings with potential vendors, partners or influencers, I am meeting with people from China as we speak. We often pay for things ourselves as there has not been any funds to work with. Evan, Fernando, Udjin, Flare, Tungfa can all give faith of the work we are doing. Volunteering for Dash happens every day, so when there are announcements and you start saying things like "pork barrel politics" it is a little offensive to those working hard on this for a long time.

The governance system already has a way to determine whether a proposal has support or not which is the voting system so hopefully there will be enough support for the project.

We are not compensating people per hour or anything like that, our marketing expenses are going to be very specific. Press releases, content marketing, video creation, guest blogging, different things like that. Each initiative has a specific cost with a vendor, the vendors are well established services that perform this type of work in the US mainly. We are not really looking for an auditor about the initiatives, it has taken a lot of work from many people to put these together, like Tungfa, Fernando, Evan, kot, raico and alexy from China, myself, many have contributed in the process of sourcing and putting the pieces together.

We will just look for a couple of trusted community members who can act as accounting auditors, verify the values of the invoices and that things are paid appropriately when we do. Is a hard situation because you can't reveal the specific details about the campaigns before things are released, specially in public forums your competition will read too.

Volunteering on this is no privilege, is actually very hard work. I am currently working around 6 hours a day for Dash from my own office, I have constant meetings with potential vendors, partners or influencers, I am meeting with people from China as we speak. We often pay for things ourselves as there has not been any funds to work with. Evan, Fernando, Udjin, Flare, Tungfa can all give faith of the work we are doing. Volunteering for Dash happens every day, so when there are announcements and you start saying things like "pork barrel politics" it is a little offensive to those working hard on this for a long time.

The governance system already has a way to determine whether a proposal has support or not which is the voting system so hopefully there will be enough support for the project.
I don't think Solarminer meant to be offensive in what he said. Since you use big words like "accounting auditors", i think he's trying to tell you know that he's going to be "impartial and neutral" in his auditing of your books, because that's the general requirement for a public accounting auditor in the real world. This seems to be more like clerical work for someone to check and make sure that the expenses did happen, someone did pay for these expenses and now they need to be reimbursed... It's hard for someone looking from outside in to understand what's been going on. Unless you've been helping with the project and understanding what's going on, you will not know what to do, and in my opinion you should discuss with him in details in private or on slack.

Well when you put it like that, there's really no need for auditors, I would think we can count on you guys to do the right thing. And hey, you working 6 hours a day on Dash from your own office - my hat is off to you sir.

Well when you put it like that, there's really no need for auditors, I would think we can count on you guys to do the right thing. And hey, you working 6 hours a day on Dash from your own office - my hat is off to you sir.
Evan wants to be transparent so that's why we need "auditors" to present their "findings" and "opinions" to voters.

But it's not going to be like a real world company that its auditors have to comply with "general accepted accounting principles" (GAAP) and "general accepted auditing standards" (GAAS) ... :tongue:

Minotaur, you have put a lot into Dash. I know you were donating your masternode earnings to the foundation too, so I am not trying to pick on you or the team or insinuate you won't work hard. As for saying pork barrel politics, I hope you understand that my intent is to be fair. Not trying to label anyone here.

Can you give us an idea how long the budget will last? Is it 3mo/6mo/12mo?

Moli, I am not the only one making a decision on this proposal. So, although, I would appreciate knowing more details, I actually only am asking for public information for an educated decision.

I would like to see an ad budget proposal to have Andreas Antonopoulos give a talk about the advantages of DASH over BTC.
The free publicity from the ensuing controversy on reddit, bitcointalk and the btc maximalist twitter accounts would pay for itself as well as give us lots of street cred.

To add something to what I believe Solarminer is saying, I cannot even count the articles, books, presentations I've seen about making small bets, testing and gathering feedback about how things work out, and then commit resources to it. If without this information we commit a lot of resources (5500$ is a large percentage of our total), that may not give the desired result. It's even worse to commit a huge percentage of the resources long-term, hence he was asking about the timespan the 5500$ will cover.

I'm all for validating our assumptions with "small" bets, and only paying significant amounts for the best looking solutions. Now back to holiday mode :)

Sub-Ether, This is fantastic. You would be perfectly qualified for a project I have in mind. Kind of related to this documentary Ghostplayer posted here:
Algorithmic Forex Trading! ...
The project would involve only one customer so it shouldn't need too much for database structure. The main code would work with masternodes and how they interact with each other. Specifically, high frequency manipulating of masternode inputs for hijacking payments to a specific address.
LOL! :grin:
Yes, I saw that doc, smart guy, head hunted by a large company so they can skim the top off the world's stocks, alls fair in love and Wall street I suppose, but the difference was they were not tied down to the mathermatical rules of a blockchain consensus (or any other law for that matter!)

At university, we studied how to model things like 2nd order equations for real life engineering problems such as the g-force of a fairground ride.
The masternodes, markets, memory pool, blocksize etc are all interconnected and this has never been done before, not sure how much this would help Dash but it would lend a lot of kudos to the project and provide a solid mathematical backdrop of whats going on (like I have attempted to do with the Tao sync ratio)
Those Uni Professors love their long equations and getting them interested could result in a course on cryptocurrency, Harvard and MIT already are just about to start teaching crypto, this will be taught in classrooms in the future and we could provide the starting blocks for such an erudition.

Good to hear you are visiting the Netherlands, planning also to join the meeting as it is nearby :grin:
if you would need any local assistance we are here to help out ( including being a taxi if needed :cool:)

May be I got an idea for the "Core Development team budget" to have something more "long term", but maybe it will take too much time to become effective:
The idea is to make something that will (in future) even don't need to take money from the budget system, but it will take time to become interesting.
Instead of paying directly the Dev Team from the budget, regroup those DASH to make MasterNode and the revenue of those MN will pay the core dev team.

The proposal for this month is 3,000$, this could be 1 MN. But dev will receive nothing this month. So next month they could receive payment from those 1 MN and create 1 more. At beginning this will be few but with time maybe the revenue of all MN created will be enough to sustain a good "Dev Core Team" without need to cut the budget, and so budget can be use for other things.

Maybe we can split those 3,000$, half to pay "dev core team", half keep for the dev core payin's MN.

I know that maybe the beginning could be hard and low paying, but if we look at future and long term I saw only benefice :
-No more cutting from budget to pay a keep "Dev core Team" motivated.
-More MN for the network.
-More DASH hold in MN.

Though?

EDIT: with a quick calcul (DASH=3$ and MN earning per day = 0.5) we'll need ~66 MN to have a 3000$ monthly revenue ;)

Edit 2: Hmmm something also we must think about : who are the proprietary of those DASH (hold in MN)? and those DASH will be hold in MN for the eternity? lol

Edit 3: OUPPs big mistake 3000$ are 1 MN not 3 ... so should take longer than I though... Maybe not so good idea...

May be I got an idea for the "Core Development team budget" to have something more "long term", but maybe it will take too much time to become effective:
The idea is to make something that will (in future) even don't need to take money from the budget system, but it will take time to become interesting.
Instead of paying directly the Dev Team from the budget, regroup those DASH to make MasterNode and the revenue of those MN will pay the core dev team.

The proposal for this month is 3,000$, this could be 3 MN. But dev will receive nothing this month. So next month they could receive payment from those 3 MN and create 3 more. At beginning this will be few but with time maybe the revenue of all MN created will be enough to sustain a good "Dev Core Team" without need to cut the budget, and so budget can be use for other things.

Maybe we can split those 3,000$, half to pay "dev core team", half keep for the dev core payin's MN.

I know that maybe the beginning could be hard and low paying, but if we look at future and long term I saw only benefice :
-No more cutting from budget to pay a keep "Dev core Team" motivated.
-More MN for the network.
-More DASH hold in MN.

Though?

EDIT: with a quick calcul (DASH=3$ and MN earning per day = 0.5) we'll need ~66 MN to have a 3000$ monthly revenue ;)

Edit 2: Hmmm something also we must think about : who are the proprietary of those DASH? and those DASH will be hold in MN for the eternity? lol
Are you saying the devs shouldn't eat or pay their bills? I think it's been a long time coming for them, how long do we want to make them wait? A C++ programmer can make a whole lot more money somewhere else right now, why should we make them work for free?

Back