• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Baikal Giant Miner A900 Mod to reduce Noise

LostInSpace

The Baikal Giant miners were too loud for my taste (see pictures of them arriving yesterday here), so I modded them by removing the superloud 12v 0.75a (9W) with CPU Coolers that perfectly fit (usually around 1-2W, so obviously less powerful) and also adding a bunch of older GPU coolers (5V, less powerful, but good to dissipate some extra heat on the other side).

Step1.jpg was to disassemble all the fan protection grids and than the single fan on the front, plus the side to remove the fan connection. Beforehand I checked which way the fan blows: It pushes cooler air into the miner, which usually is around 40 degrees itself after a few hours.

Step2.jpg was to find some fitting CPU coolers, I used 2 old Noctura CPU fans with 1.4W each, I recommend using multiple or higher amp ones (obviously not 9W if they as loud as the ones attached, but there are some big blade coolers that still would fit as there is nothing blocking around the coolers, go as big as possible).

Step3.jpg and Step4.jpg: Adding few more tiny coolers on hotspots (using my thermal probe), especially on the end it was getting hot as all the hot air is blown out from front to back, so each miner got 1-2 extra GPU coolers there. One fitted nice and tight and presses against the passive cooling from the inside.

Step5.jpg: Cables, I could have soldered everything, but I went for the lazy route as most things already where fitting nicely together. I could not get the old onboard pin connection to work with all fans, so I just connected a 'P4' 4-pin power connector and used Pins Spring Wire Connectors to connect all fans on each Giant.

Step6.jpg: Testing it all out, temperatures are stable after an hour now (first giant at 41 degrees, the other one at around 43 degrees, it was 1-2 degrees hotter before too, also the gpu cooler on there is much smaller, so maybe I will add a bigger one later).

Step7.jpg: For safety I added an extra outside fan, after an hour of testing it is still all stable at 41 degrees celsius, so it is probably not needed (will test later with out). I also added a gap below the miners so air can circulate all around it.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK and test test test, you don't want to have no fans working and the whole thing overheating and losing your warranty. For me it was worth it as it is now as silent as the Baikal Cube with 50% fan or as much as my PC when gaming.

Hope this helps someone else some day.

Attachments

• BaikalGiantFanModStep1.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 229
  • BaikalGiantFanModStep2.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 174
  • BaikalGiantFanModStep3.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep3.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 176
  • BaikalGiantFanModStep4.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep4.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 176
  • BaikalGiantFanModStep6.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep6.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 167
  • BaikalGiantFanModStep7.jpg
    BaikalGiantFanModStep7.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 171
Hi Lost in Space! Say, I remember browsing one of your tutorials to replace baikal miner fans but for baikal cubes, but I can't seem to find it, do you have the link?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lost in Space! Say, I remember browsing one of your tutorials to replace baikal miner fans but for baikal cubes, but I can't seem to find it, do you have the link?

Thanks in advance!

Not really needed, you can just turn the fan speed down as much as you want (with good air circulation it can be on 50% and is very silent already). If your fan is really loud still or is broken I recommend replacing the fan with an equally sized fan you can easily find on ebay or any computer shop. I don't think this will do much as really silent fans do not have much air going through them, for the giants you need something in the 5-10w range, for the cubes 1-2w.

Back