Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

A warning about General Bytes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thesavoyard, Dec 12, 2017.

1. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Xp8WZRv9Papo21ySQE8ghtQDUxN6qoKzS6
    Outdated, this issue has been settled

#1 thesavoyard, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Currently, I'm speaking to some slot machine repair people to reprogram or replace the cash recyclers. I've also initiated a lawsuit against General Bytes.

I also think the Masternodes should reconsider giving GB a large sum of money. Since it is held in escrow, maybe we should contact other operators and see if this behavior is widespread.

#2 thesavoyard, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

That's a bloody awful experience!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    o

#4 thesavoyard, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. Miner237

Miner237 Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Lets be honest General Bytes is busy with the crypto surge everyone has been having. But this might be a good time for @generalbytes to give us an update on the DASH as first class citizen project. The mix up in shipping is an unexpected human error and delay I know but at least GB is offering a refund. I hope they can straighten things out for you.

#5 Miner237, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    They are trying to force me to a refund instead of fixing the ATMs. They have a contractual obligation to fix the defects but they aren't willing to fulfill it. BGST is trying to return his ATMs but they won't let him. The only reason they want to return mine is that I took the advice of the original Bitcoin Embassy in Amsterdam. He stated that they would only act if I brought my case to public forums. EU law requires a 2-year warranty against defects and malfunction for all electronics. They are a B2B company, when they do not act, they cost their clients money.

Their liabilities are mounting rapidly. We're discussing whether a class action is the best way to go. BGST contacted a Swiss operator and his machines are down as well. Like I said, I suggest the Masternodes re-evaluate whether they are worth a large sum of money.

It appears the problem might be widespread. I'm reaching out to operators to find out how badly. It wasn't a simple mix up of shipping, these machines were never quality tested. I think you can go through my past posts when we discussed getting GB to add 2 way Dash function. I talked about our meeting in Amsterdam where Martijn called Dash a "shitcoin."

#6 thesavoyard, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Also, I waited 3 months for these machines. I have a lease contract and I cannot remove them. Trying to force me to return them is just more GB bullsh*t. They have been in breach since October 25th, but think they can operate with impunity. They are unreliable, unprofessional, and greedy.

8. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Obviously I don't know enough about this and it's not for me to tell you what to do.. but just my two cents worth, I would avoid the legal path and all the fighting, it's too expensive with personal unnecessary stress. You need to decide whether or not you want to stay with GB or not. If you want to stick with them, make your peace and accept their refunds etc. Otherwise, accept their refund and switch to someone else. Really, all those legal fees and stuff, way too unproductive. I realize you feel the need for class action etc, but keeping your principles can have a very high cost!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    I appreciate the advice, but we've lost 3,000 euros in rent, 1,000 in repairs and moving fees and probably quite a bit more in lost revenue. If we remove the machines, we get fined 100 euros per day. That's until we can get a replacement, which would take about 60 days. I bought the machines from them, they have a legal obligation to keep them malfunction free for 2 years. They think they can walk away from that obligation, or, pay me what I paid for the machines? It doesn't compensate for what their negligence has cost me. They are still legally liable for those machines, like it or not. I'm not too worried about the cost of a class action lawsuit since so many of their machines are malfunctioning, the costs will be spread out among all the participants.

It isn't about principle. It's about financial damage. I gave them a month to get things in order, they chose not to fulfill their obligations, they won't be released from them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Miner237

Foundation Member

Please do expand on this, shouldn't we be about half way into the project for general bytes integrating DASH? are there some milestones setup? Who is Martijn and does he think all of the alt-bitcoins are shitcoins?

11. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Martijn is the marketing director and co-founder of General Bytes. We met in May of this year in Amsterdam to discuss the business. He also founded an alternative Bitcoin Embassy. He was the co-founder of the original but according to his former partner, they had a falling out and Martijn founded another with the exact same name.

During our conversation, I expressed concern about Bitcoin slow block time and double spend risk. I told him we're offering lower fees for Dash users and he seemed to take it badly.

Edit: You can see him in the interview Amanda B. Johnson did, also the 2015 BBC documentary on Bitcoin mining. He has an NFC chip implanted in his hand he talks about on there and to everyone.

#11 thesavoyard, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. HedgedAndLevered

You say you initiated a lawsuit? What are the details on this?
    I think the budget should be paying for this lawsuit. Dash should make an example of people who defraud us.
    agreed? Start a pre-proposal if so.

13. HedgedAndLevered

If dash is clearly in the right here, this would be great PR to sue and burn dash with the proceeds.
    (If not, its terrible PR.)

14. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    I can't say if they're genuinely implementing Dash. I'd rather not involve Dash beyond a warning to the community to be honest. Right now it is just between them and their operators, if that changes and they do burn Dash I'd be happy to help.

15. CyberNerd

CyberNerd New Member

I'm glad a just did this search. I was getting ready to purchase from them and have run into issues before ever completing the contract.
    1. website says free international shipping, then the contract stipulates you must pay for it.
    2. I was ready to purchase and pay for this on the day I sent the purchase request almost 2 weeks ago. Then 4 days to get the purchase contract which required me to download some app on my phone that wouldn't work. 8 more days for them to get a new contract to me. (then see #1 above)
    I just email them asking about it and was wondering if it would take them another week to respond :-( Fortunately I saw this and some other negative posts and will now look elsewhere

EDIT: also they assured me this machine would work with BTC/DASH and USD/CRC currency. After reading the above, this appears to be a knowingly false statement.

#15 CyberNerd, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  16. HedgedAndLevered

General bytes is about to receive treasury funding to contract two devs to add dash functionality into their terminals, even though they have been demonstratively unreliable?
    Why go with general bytes? Are they really the only counterparty possible?
    This is pretty embarrassing if this proposal passes as-is.

17. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    I actually have a very good manufacturer on board. I can't reveal too much now but I will be speaking with core team members and I will pass on what we discussed. Other manufacturers have been very interested, but this particular one seems very competent and dynamic.

Even Genesis coins said they will develop custom software by contract, there's nothing stopping members of Dash from having custom ATM software made for Dash machines.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoseAstur

JoseAstur New Member

Hi, I 'm newbie here, and like CyberNerd I am searching for ATM producer, I think that is an good moment for this business.
    Please thesavoyard, when it be possible for you, could tell us your experience with the new manufacturer? This is for Spain and will thank you very much!!

See you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Hello Jose.

We are still in negotiations with Coin Outlet to integrate Dash. I've had a discussion with Jane and the CEO Eric Grill. They have estimated Dash can be integrated by March. Since they don't want to do a proposal, we've agreed to include their cost in our proposal and have the escrow pay directly to them.

I have spoken with other manufacturers like Genesis coin. They stated they are interested in Dash, but have no immediate plans to integrate it. They did say they are willing to do custom software on contract. I'd really like to see someone in the community take initiative and do a proposal for that. Get the Dash for Genesis coin and hire them to create Dash enabled software. Then make that OS available to all Genesis ATM owners. It can probably be handled as an update if you pay them to do it that way. That will give Dash access to the largest ATM manufacturer within months.

Due to the scope of our project, we can't run proposals for every potential manufacturer. But they have all taken notice of Dash, if someone wants to run that program we'd be more than happy to provide our input. I suggest either approaching the Dash team for escrow or using a law firm to distribute funds.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoseAstur

JoseAstur New Member

Thanks again thesavoyard!
    And about ATM manufacturer (for general purposes), do you think that Genesis' ATM is the best? do you recomend us another? Thks!!

21. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    To be honest I've never even seen a Genesis machine in person. They are the most widespread ATM out there but you'd have to talk to an operator that owns one. I've never been interested in Bitcoin maximalists, they don't seem to want to play fair when it comes to competition. Since Genesis doesn't add any other coins at a decent rate, I've avoided them. I'm just suggesting the community hire Genesis to make an update to their machines can carry Dash, that would give a Dash a lot more access to ATMs.

Lamassu has a decent ATM with Dash enabled, they are pricey and the style seems a bit dated to be honest. Larger screens are better aesthetically.

22. Miner237

Foundation Member

I contacted Genesis coin to follow up on getting them to integrate DASH,

• Like Like x 1
  23. jay cee

jay cee New Member

Hi to all with problems with general bytes. In December the company sent out an email stating that they moved within Prague. Does anyone still have that email? I am about to go to Prague and pay them a visit. I purchased a machine from them which was delivered but then they do not send the activation QR code, so the machine is basically worthless. What a waste this has been of my time and energy.

24. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

this is what they have on their webpage:
    GENERAL BYTES s.r.o.
    U Pergamenky 1522/2
    170 00 Prague 7
    Czech Republic
    Phone: +420 234 092 582
    https://www.generalbytes.com/contacts/

25. Miner237

Foundation Member

jay PM me i know the default activation code, their customer service has been getting worse and worse

26. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

Generalbytes is a total joke.

In early January tried to buy a CortexPay POS machine. The website boasts with general availability.

My multiple email inquiries had the following (ludicrous) result:
    5 times they said it is available (sometimes with, sometimes without Dash. What did we pay them for, exactly?) and 6 times they said it's not available. Can you imagine how ridiculous the email-exchange of that looks? This is a company that doesn't know what they have in stock... After the 5th email I suspected they're throwing dices on how to reply instead of actually checking. The last reply I got was:

"I am sorry for my previous accessibility information. We currently do not sell CortexPay and are not sure when. If you have interest in our another products. Let us know."

That's like walking into a store looking for red wine and the shopkeeper says: "Sorry, we're outta red wine, but check out this nice, soft toilet paper!"

These jokers wasted 2 months (replies usually took 1 week or more) of my precious time in which I could've built my own solution.

To concur with OP: Stay far away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
  28. generalbytes

generalbytes New Member

Once every 1000 machines or so we see a client like this, purchases machines with someone else their money then start a blame game once he is delayed in deployment and investors start asking what happened to their funds. We even offered a full refund because the client was not happy but no... The machines were transported by the client without any protective wrapping, the client even dismantled the machine, ripped out the LED neon, dismantled the cash acceptors and flashed with firmware not supplied by us (voiding his warranty!) and then complained everywhere before contacting our support. Cleint spreads lies and rumours to get attention and discredit our company. We offered to send a technician from Prague to the Netherlands (we are not obliged to by contract!) where he deployed his machine but cancelled his flight as soon as we found out the true nature of this client and the fact he was spreading lies on every forum that would allow him in.

If Mr thesavoyard would have spend the same time he spends on forums posting complaints, his machines would have been up and running long time ago. We stopped caring about this client once our staff was blackmailed into 'if you do not send someone over I will make sure nobody purchases a machine from you' and 'I will tell everyone you say Dash is a sh*tcoin' and the one that did it for us was 'once I am finished with you, I own your company'.... That is where we draw the line and told him to read his contract again. We will honour the terms of the contract, even offered a full money back refund (we are not obliged to!) but that is not what he wants, he just wants to pocket the cash from the investors and blame someone else. This, we think is despicable but no longer care. We will also not have our staff blackmailed into doing extra work that is essentially yours as an operator.

Dash adoption is growing on ATMs worldwide, faster than the industry average at the moment. This is due to the many hours of work done by our programmers. We currently offer bi-directional support for dash and point of sale support. We also added NFC Wallet card support for club-like environments where using a phone to pay is less than ideal. Unfortunately, we could not get instant send (actually instant receive) to work yet due to limitations in the DashJ library we used. This is not a big problem as Dash transactions are quite fast anyway and as soon as the DashJ library is updated, we will add support for instantsend. We also added the possibility to sell Dash directly from the point of sale terminals, eliminating the need for an ATM if a store operator is available at the location. This will allow operators to increase the number of Dash vending points without needing an ATM in each of them. Dash adoption will continue to grow and more and more ATM operators are adding Dash to their portfolio of coins.

This is the last mail we will post on this subject on this forum as there is no point discussing with someone that will resort to spreading lies to get their right and damage our company reputation in the only to get out of problems with his investors. We will honour any warranty claims, check your contract for details but we will not spend any extra time on you that is not listed in the contract as quite frankly, you are the worst client we ever had. We will not have our staff or company blackmailed. This is were we draw the line. Now excuse me while I devote my time to clients that are actually asking questions instead of sending us unreasonable demands and try to trash our reputation online.

BTW: Our legal department is still waiting for your lawyer to contact us.

29. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Your post is a joke as I have documentation of all of our communication. Once again you've proven you have zero ethics and are willing to blatantly lie. I ask you to contact our lawyer for future communications, he'll be contacting you.

You should verse yourself on EU law. You are responsible for all defects for 2 years at no cost to the client, that means traveling to the machine if removing it costs the client. For 6 months, all defects are assumed to be manufacturer's. You decided not to act, to make false promises while we lost money. We fixed the machines without your help but at great cost to us.

By the way, everyone I've talked to have had nothing but problems with you.

30. Household Name®

Hi Savoyard,

We're currently researching DASH ATMs for our proposal––DASH as Title Sponsor and 'Official Payment Partner' of the 2018 San Francisco Marathon.

We plan to install a machine at the Race Expo and elsewhere to show real-world adoption. We read the thread, but wonder which supplier you now recommend if not GB?

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...title-sponsor-official-payment-partner.28738/

Thank you.