Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

12.1 Testnet Testing Phase Two Ignition

Discussion in 'Testing' started by eduffield, Sep 26, 2016.

1. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

Has there been any documentation made on the 12.1 upgrade/Sentinel installation process for people who have not read, and wouldn't understand, this thread?

We know full well, just like every other time, there's going to be a majority of people who have no idea what's going, never even heard of Sentinel, didn't know that there was a testnet, or that any upgrade was happening, etc...

And, of course, the discovery and frantic updates that come from problems found that could not be detected in the testnet environment...

2. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Masternode+Update

This is currently work in progress, but it should have clear instructions later on.
    The recommended specs are interesting, i'm glad i did that server hardware upgrade.

3. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Yep, confirmed - looking into it.

• Like Like x 6
  4. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. t0dd

t0dd Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    XyxQq4qgp9B53QWQgSqSxJb4xddhzk5Zhh
    And mentioned in one of the slack channels...

Testing is complete for the Red Hat'ification of Dash that I have been working on for quite some time. If you are adventuresome, I have written a small pile of documentation, but if you just want to get going, here's an example of getting started with the simple wallet use case...

1. Crank up a Fedora Linux 25 instance (they make live ISOs that are trivial to install)
    2. Login and open up a terminal... I'm assuming you gave yourself admin privileges in the install wizard...
    3. Type this...

Code:
    cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
    sudo curl -O  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/taw00/dashcore-rpm/master/dashcore-fedora.repo
    cd -
    sudo dnf install -y dashcore-client
    If you wanna get super fancy, update the whole operating system and reboot..
    Code:
    sudo dnf upgrade -y
    sudo reboot # to be all fresh and stuff
    Then find the Dash icon in your menus click on it and done

But what's different about all this?

1. If you install dashcore-server instead, it is all prepped to operate as a systemd managed service like a real daemon should be. Prepped for future hardening with SELinux and other fancy things...
    2. All your default logs are rotated by the operating system...
    3. Firewall rules and fail2ban settings are explained...
    4. Sentinel also logs to a sensible log-rotated log file and the only configuration needed is a crontab edit.
    5. dashd and Sentinel run as a system user dashcore instead of a normal user (if you want)
    6. As updates are published... you are alerted that an update is available and you can automatically trigger them at your convenience with a one-liner update and restart of the service
    7. Need to update the kernel and reboot (a common thing)? No problem, systemd shuts down the service and restarts it upon boot.
    8. Advanced admins can figure out how to spin up multiple systemd managed dashd instances pretty easily (I have an RFE in for Sentinel to make it easier to configure though)
    9. I even added OS menu icons and desktop stuff ... to include high-contrast icons to blend in nicely with the desktop experience and for those who have difficulty seeing

I'm sure I am forgetting something. Anyway... It's solid. It works. It's "right". It's added "polish".

You can find it all at https://github.com/taw00/dashcore-rpm -- Read the READMEs and then dive into the documentation directory.

Builds for Fedora 23, 24, 25, 26 and CentOS7, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 -- i686 and x86_64

Happy Dashing -t

#455 t0dd, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3