Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

12.1 Testnet Testing Phase Two Ignition

Discussion in 'Testing' started by eduffield, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitya Sattva

Nitya Sattva New Member

It used to work, wth the 12.1 client from bit more then week ago, tbh I do not see a real use case for it but the current behavior seems / feels off to me. (bad ux, I'm guessing @UdjinM6 needs to go over his changes ?)

#421 Nitya Sattva, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

I doubt that it'll be thousands. Maybe a few hundred...

Unlike mining hardware, which is a vertical market where the manufacturer charges whatever the market will bear, cohosting is priced from a much broader market. We can use this to our advantage, while the shitcoin miners can't, and wouldn't even know how if you told them... They can plug in toasters. Anything beyond that is more than they can handle... Enter 3rd party MN services to consolidate and undermine the network...

The more cohosts accept crypto , the better. Looks like MNs aren't going to get any defense against aggressive, violent, coercive protection racketeers of any name...

3. spatula

spatula Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

As for the first part, you are right. For less than 100 a month you can get pretty high-end dedicated server with uncapped data and DDOS protection. They are no different to operate the VPS that most of us use now. For your second point, I disagree. The increase in USD price of DASH is what made me switch off of node40. Pricing the service in DASH per month made it cost prohibitive and worth the trouble of actually running my own MN. When MN income becomes a larger part of my monthly income in the future, why would I leave money on the table by going with a more expensive centralized service?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

Leave money on the table now.
    Leave money on the table later.

How expensive was that 10,000 BTC pizza?

When you look back and realize that you threw away $250,000 because you couldn't be asked to think...

#424 camosoul, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. wal

wal New Member

the dash-qt client is producing wake timers that result in my computer waking up from hibernation.
    see screenshot below

follow link to see screenshot
    http://imgur.com/a/sqN1T

6. TanteStefana

TanteStefana Grizzled Member
    Foundation Member

New version out in case nobody saw/checked :)

7. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

Thanks. To be honest i'm awaiting this pull to do some testing on

Shift PS denoms #1292
    https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/1292

It will need a (partial ?) protobump though, so it could take awhile.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wal

wal New Member

9. GNULinuxGuy

GNULinuxGuy Member

Dash Address:
    XjkXfrYTSvdYe4738DtNVX5XfUz7qU9HnY
    I'm going to leave my tMN and tLP on v0.12.1.0-e2eaf1d for now. They're staying synced and seem to be functioning pretty well. I will probably update them in a few hours or so. Maybe by then a few more of those pull requests will be committed to the testing branch. :)

10. qwizzie

Version v0.12.1.0-f729d82 seems to really fix the syncing problems which i experienced with earlier version(s).
    I will do some testing of the mixing, although with previous version(s) when my wallets did manage to completely sync (4 out of 6) .. they did mix without problem.

Update : here are the results of my mixing sessions, which i started through a previous version and finished with current version v0.12.1.0-f729d82 :

[​IMG]
    This one looks good. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to mix 70 Dash / 8 rounds.

[​IMG]
    This one overshot its target by 10 Dash and took 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish (target amount was 70 Dash)

[​IMG]
    These two are pretty much right on target.

#430 qwizzie, Feb 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. t0dd

t0dd Active Member

Dash Address:
    XyxQq4qgp9B53QWQgSqSxJb4xddhzk5Zhh
    Indeed. I follow the LastestSuccessful builds. I.e., Last build was "Jan 30, 2017 8:31:50 AM":
    https://dashpay.atlassian.net/builds/artifact/DASHL-DEV/JOB1/build-latestSuccessful/

These are what will be shipped. At least that has been my understanding.

12. AjM

AjM Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I hoped that Feb 2 commits would be compiled already, but those are not yet compiled...

There is no way that translations can make to 12.1 release Feb 5.

13. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

OK, so if any of you have an update script or something, like me, you will need to notice that these updates are now located at a different place. You can see it was updated on page 1. We are now on protocol 70206 and latest update is today (Feb 2) Just FYI because I know a lot of people lurk and this thread is being ignored :p (slack is better)

14. t0dd

t0dd Active Member

Dash Address:
    Yup. I have an update script that reaches into the https://dashpay.atlassian.net/ as I mentioned above. And it stopped on the 30th. I figured, for hardening.

Um... what's the difference between the https://dashpay.atlassian.net/ latest builds and the https://bamboo.dash.org/ lastest builds?

15. t0dd

t0dd Active Member

Dash Address:
  16. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

We just had to move to a dedicated server because Atlassian Bamboo Cloud is EOL --> https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboocloud/bamboo-cloud-eol-827125716.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. qwizzie

I have three questions with regards to v12.1 on mainnet per 5 Feb :

1 : with the new path (user/dashcore/etc) in update 12.1 how do we avoid users downloading the whole blockchain again (ending up having duplicate blockchains) and possibly getting into trouble with limited diskspace ?
    2 : there is some talk about 1000 MB RAM being minimal requirements for update 12.1 ? I have currently no problems with running 756MB RAM on my masternodes, will that change with update 12.1 ?
    because frankly i was planning to upgrade my VPS package on a much later date (around the Evolution update).
    3 : how fast do we need to upgrade our masternodes version to 12.1 ? Say for example one of our masternodes could be paid in two days (after 5 feb), is it okay to wait for those two days and then upgrade ?
    Is there a certain "grace" time period ?

#437 qwizzie, Feb 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Walter

Walter Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

On point 2:

I've decided to bite the bullet and roll in a RAM upgrade to my VPS setup. These badboys are bringing in some serious income now that market price is rising. For the sake of an extra few $$ it's not worth the risk of having them lock up on me halfway through a payment cycle. It's a false economy (arguably always was in hindsight!) lol ;)

At the end of the day the MNs have got to go to the back of the queue anyway during this upgrade so there won't be a better opportunity this year to down your VPS(s) and get them geared up for Evolution. Sure, it might cost me an extra $100 in RAM I don't need before Evo 'goes live' but we're getting $130 every month per MN at current rates. :D

Cheers

Walter

• Like Like x 2
  19. martinf

martinf Member

@qwizzie Related to your third question, https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/details-on-the-feb-5th-update.12874/

There will be a grace period where both 12.0 and 12.1 are allowed. Maximizing masternode payment is a bit tricky. On one hand you want to upgrade when the majority of the miners shift from 12.0 to 12.1. But you also need to consider the masternodes' place in the queue.
    All in all there is not a huge difference in payout, so just relax and do it when it suits you best :) (as long as it's within a few days)

#439 martinf, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

I only ran my 256MB MNs as a symptom check for memory leaks and wasteful inefficiencies. I throw 2048 at them on testnet and they use it.

I still have an occasional node fall off the network even though the machine and daemon remain responsive. I haven't been able to track down why, but it's very rare. It seems like they just spontaneously get removed from the list without cause. The only discernible suspicious symptom is that it always happens within hours a payment being due. It leads me to suspect an exploit that lets someone push you off of a payment. But, I have nothing but that simple coincidence to support it.

12.1 is a complete departure from DASH as we know it, as far as the underlying code. Holding on to any old data is meaningless. You may as well apply the metrics of running a full node of a totally different coin. It's meaningless now. You should err on the side of caution. At these price points, a little fancier box is warranted. Trying to scrimp a few bucks a year for something that pays you $60/mo is kinda dumb. As @Walter said, false economy. Be prepared. Even if it seems like more than you really need, its going to be needed in the not to distant future. You'll just end up upgrading again... Plan ahead and upgrade once.

This has completely re-invented DASH, and the only thing that will be bigger than this step, will be DashDrive.

Oh, and @kodaxx 's project... DASH will finally live up to it's promises. No reason it should have taken this long... Better late than never.

• Like Like x 3
  21. martinf

martinf Member

Just to clarify; this refers to the data on memory consumption and not the data in ~/.dash/ vs ~/.dashcore/

From what I understand you may very well keed the blockchain files from 12.0. No need to re-download the whole thing. Considering how many will update in a short period of time we might want 12.1 automatically copy from ~/.dash/ when first started to not cause havoc?

22. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

@eduffield has said there will be a significant financial incentive to upgrading MNs ASAP.

23. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

I was referring to statistical data gathered on resource usage.

24. martinf

martinf Member

Yup. Maybe if you own a huge amount of MNs. We can be pretty sure there will be a few hundred MNs that will upgrade within an hour. In one hour there are only about 24 blocks. So unless you have a significant portion of those early upgraders, you are not likely to get that many extra payments.

And that's with the assumption that all miners will upgrade immediately. They won't. And miners on 12.0 will pay MNs on 12.0. So, that's why I previously said that one should only upgrade after a majority of the miners do. And of course you need to consider your place in the payment queue.

I'll pass on the recommendation moocowmoo gave me in my thread; Hold of your upgrade if your node is in the front of the payment queue, but a day or two tops. Otherwise upgrade asap.

25. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

OK, if you say so. I know that Evan said something completely different, but maybe that's changed. Cheers!

26. GNULinuxGuy

GNULinuxGuy Member

Dash Address:
    XjkXfrYTSvdYe4738DtNVX5XfUz7qU9HnY
    Dedicated tMN and tLP updated to v0.12.1.0-0ecc7c6. Synced nmarley sentinel and reindexed both nodes. Should have a little time to test more tomorrow. Quite a few fixes in the pipeline I see. Are we still on schedule for mainnet launch?

27. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

1. We should be able to move the blocks and chainstate folders to .dashcore from .dash. Nothing else takes that long to update really, and those other things might change or something, so that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully it will go smoothly. At worst, we'll have to -reindex, but with everyone doing that at the same time, it'll probably be a pain in the arse.

2. Because 12.1 also runs sentinel, it might cause you troubles if you have less than 1GB but it might take a while and/or a sudden increase of need which happens once in a while. I've increased all my servers to 1GB with 2GB swap to be sure they'll run smoothly, but that's up to you :) If you want to see if you drop off the network, and can respond pretty fast, or don't care about a little loss, that's a fine way to go as well. It's just that you increase the possibility of running out of ram and drop off the network, losing your spot in the queue. The increase cost me $5 a month, a lost payment would cost me around $65 at current price, so I don't want to take a chance. Frankly, I'm worried I'm going too low with 1GB because of this, but I figure I'll watch my RAM usage and upgrade when it starts hitting higher highs. If that's next week or in a year, it can be done pretty quickly :D

3. I would let my MN go through payout if it's in line within a day or two, but other than that, the sooner we upgrade the MN network, the sooner we can switch the enforcement on. You know miners are going to keep the whole reward to themselves and until we upgrade and get enforecement back on, we're likely to get nothing. I don't trust that new etherium project that mines Dash in Costa Rica, or wherever they are, Avalon or something? So I'm only going to wait if it looks like one of my MNs is imminently due for a payout :)

• Like Like x 2
  28. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

I think the real incentive is to get enforcement on ASAP so the miners can't keep all the rewards, which is what happens every time we spork and enforcement goes off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  29. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

I don't know if it's just that nobody is mixing, but my wallet of yesterday's build (Feb 3) wasn't mixing?? Updating now :)

I've updated, and I keep getting timed out, so maybe nobody is mixing??

#449 TanteStefana, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  30. Lariondos

Lariondos Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

In preparation for tomorrows event I made a quick test and started the new Windows wallet on mainnet to see if the blockchain syncs correctly. This worked.
    Then I checked if my masternode.conf would work unchanged for 12.1. But after starting the wallet, I got this error:
    "Error reading masternode configuration file: Invalid Port detected in masternode.conf ..... (must be 9999 for mainnet)"
    Needless to say that I didn't change anything in my working masternode.conf from 12.0. It seems to reject port 9999.

Pinging @UdjinM6 @flare to check this.

#450 Lariondos, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.