Having the same private key both for identifying the masternode in the network and for voting, this is a huge design deficiency. What happens between the time some masternode service provider steals the vote and the time the vote is revoked/taken back? What if this inbetween time is the budget payment time? And what about the lurkers, the people who dont care to vote. Dash network has a lot of them, and as long as they are lurkers I think they dont really care if someone uses their vote or not. Dash core team takes extreme precautions in order to protect your coins' privatekey, but they dont care at all for your votes' privatekey, they even recommend you to give it to the masternode service provider. This is tottaly wrong. Because by using the vote, someone may pass an appropriate proposal in the budget, which can send away the core team , or implant a black hat core team, or even change the Dash protocol itself, and that way confiscate coins.Define "risk".
Risk of loosing his 1000 Dash? Zero, as the key is not shared.
Risk of someone using his vote? Present, as the key is shared. But since the key can be revoked/changed i don't see a risk here.
If you read the manual/code, you will notice that there are TWO private keys:
1) private key for the 1000 Dash, known only to the coin owner (aka masternode owner)
2) private key for masternode, known to coin owner AND server owner
So someone who has the "masternode private key" does not possess the masternode - he has the ability to vote though.
This pre-proposal is about to have 3 private keys for every Masternode.
- One private key that holds your money
- One private key that manages your masternode and makes it recognizable into the network (which you can give it to the Masternode service providers (MNSP) )
- One private key that can be used to vote (which you should have the option either keep it safe or to give it to the MNSP)
Please vote "yes" if you like the idea masternodes to have a special privkey for voting, tottaly separated from the one used for the network identification.