• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Open Bazaar integration - pre-proposal

So OB developers don't want to cooperate with dash?

For me the best option is to have OB with support for dash - you will be able to buy stuff with bitcoin, you will be able to buy stuff with dash if the seller has dash adress or with dash and toward bitcoin adress (e.g. shapeshift) .
All you need is the field for dash adress and the way that OB trustlessly checks Dash blockchain, which is likely the problematic part.

as discuss before
yes you are right , we all want that but we do not get a commitment from OB as they are obviously too busy with their OB basics

So OB developers don't want to cooperate with dash?

For me the best option is to have OB with support for dash - you will be able to buy stuff with bitcoin, you will be able to buy stuff with dash if the seller has dash adress or with dash and toward bitcoin adress (e.g. shapeshift) .
All you need is the field for dash adress and the way that OB trustlessly checks Dash blockchain, which is likely the problematic part.

The OB devs are 100% adding Dash. At least, that's what they told me last year. But what you propose is not that easy.

To integrate Dash is not as simple as adding a Dash field. It's an entire re-write of the code. They simply did not have the man-power to do it, they told me that if we port the code to Dash and commit, they'd very happily integrate.

This was said unofficially, and and entire year has passed. So please take this with a grain of salt.

The OB devs are 100% adding Dash. At least, that's what they told me last year. But what you propose is not that easy.

Yes, I think this is a good example of when "just add one field" turns into "rewrite the entire payment system" :) … Well, I hope not, but it will almost certainly not be as easy as it might look.

I like the "surface area" metaphor for software. A piece of software that has a high surface area (i.e. lots of things you can fiddle with) is likely more simple underneath, whereas a piece of software with a small surface area (i.e. only a few controls) could be an order of magnitude more complex. One comparison: a scientific calculator on a computer has dozens of buttons, but is fairly simple underneath; Google's search site has one field and two buttons, but hides millions of lines of code that produce instant results from the entire visible web. There are probably innumerable counter-examples, but I have found that the general rule "if it does something useful but is easy to use, it is probably very complex internally" is a good guideline.

That said, maybe this will turn out to be a trivial tweak to the existing code :D

I had a few hours this week to start reading through the code and poking around, and I've pushed my tiny batch of changes (modified simply to make the Python lint tool pass, so it does even less than I thought it did) here:

https://github.com/ashmoran/OpenBazaar-Client/tree/dash_payments

I'll make a corresponding server branch in time. My code will be awful simply because

I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing_o_99475.jpg

but I will try to get something working. And my progress will be slow because I am in the process of moving flat (and country). But maybe by the end of June it will demonstrate something useful :D

I am quite excited to be working on OpenBazaar though, I think if we can pool our efforts we can make this work, and that it will prove to be good promotion for Dash. In time (assuming OB takes off) I think it will justify a budget stream without a second thought.

I still hold some bitcoin (albeit a rapidly dwindling amount), but increasingly I wonder why. The whole Bitcoin community is forced to spend their time on "How can we make this not shit?", whereas the Dash community is choosing to spend their time on "How can we make this better?". Indeed I recently discovered that Dash was originally submitted (presumably entirely by Evan) as patches to Bitcoin, which were rejected. So this whole community is based on "How can we make this better?". If I'm going to spend all my spare time thinking about magic internet money, I'd rather spend it with people who want to improve the state of things! </irrelevant-rant>

Yes, I think this is a good example of when "just add one field" turns into "rewrite the entire payment system" :) … Well, I hope not, but it will almost certainly not be as easy as it might look.

I like the "surface area" metaphor for software. A piece of software that has a high surface area (i.e. lots of things you can fiddle with) is likely more simple underneath, whereas a piece of software with a small surface area (i.e. only a few controls) could be an order of magnitude more complex. One comparison: a scientific calculator on a computer has dozens of buttons, but is fairly simple underneath; Google's search site has one field and two buttons, but hides millions of lines of code that produce instant results from the entire visible web. There are probably innumerable counter-examples, but I have found that the general rule "if it does something useful but is easy to use, it is probably very complex internally" is a good guideline.

That said, maybe this will turn out to be a trivial tweak to the existing code :D

I had a few hours this week to start reading through the code and poking around, and I've pushed my tiny batch of changes (modified simply to make the Python lint tool pass, so it does even less than I thought it did) here:

https://github.com/ashmoran/OpenBazaar-Client/tree/dash_payments

I'll make a corresponding server branch in time. My code will be awful simply because

I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing_o_99475.jpg

but I will try to get something working. And my progress will be slow because I am in the process of moving flat (and country). But maybe by the end of June it will demonstrate something useful :D

I am quite excited to be working on OpenBazaar though, I think if we can pool our efforts we can make this work, and that it will prove to be good promotion for Dash. In time (assuming OB takes off) I think it will justify a budget stream without a second thought.

I still hold some bitcoin (albeit a rapidly dwindling amount), but increasingly I wonder why. The whole Bitcoin community is forced to spend their time on "How can we make this not shit?", whereas the Dash community is choosing to spend their time on "How can we make this better?". Indeed I recently discovered that Dash was originally submitted (presumably entirely by Evan) as patches to Bitcoin, which were rejected. So this whole community is based on "How can we make this better?". If I'm going to spend all my spare time thinking about magic internet money, I'd rather spend it with people who want to improve the state of things! </irrelevant-rant>
All the power to you! Hope you can get some results with this initiative.

Right I'm taking another look at this now. I'm trying to map out all the scenarios we will need to cover as I hack my way through the code. I've made a provisional Trello board, which will hopefully be a more useful place to store this than my notebook (which I left at home today). If anyone wants to join this, please just ask to join the OpenBazaar-Dash and I'll add you. It's all just a dumping ground for ideas for now, we can change anything and everything about the team and board, or even use something different entirely in time.

Right I'm taking another look at this now. I'm trying to map out all the scenarios we will need to cover as I hack my way through the code. I've made a provisional Trello board, which will hopefully be a more useful place to store this than my notebook (which I left at home today). If anyone wants to join this, please just ask to join the OpenBazaar-Dash and I'll add you. It's all just a dumping ground for ideas for now, we can change anything and everything about the team and board, or even use something different entirely in time.

Please, add me to the board ([email protected])

We can add a channel to the Dash Slack if you want to chat in real time about the Dash Open Bazaar, might even get some advice or help from one of the other 250 slackers. There is a link in my signature.

This might be a big project, but I am sure you can do it. One step at a time. Fully support everyone helping on this.

We can add a channel to the Dash Slack if you want to chat in real time about the Dash Open Bazaar, might even get some advice or help from one of the other 250 slackers. There is a link in my signature.

I've already joined the Dash Slack but I've only been on once, I think. If you make a channel for it I'll join. (Or if you can add me directly, I have the same username there as here.)

Channel #dash_open_bazaar created. It is going to rain some dash today. So jump on over before the storm.

I really wish I'd been able to get more done on this sooner.

I first thought about OpenBazaar and Dash when someone asked on Reddit who is taking Dash. What I feared would happen (Bitcoin becoming unusable) appears to be happening, at least going by the post Rising tx fees for on-chain transactions in /r/OpenBazaar. I wrote a reply explaining why I think Dash would be good for OpenBazaar (prompted by another reply about Ethereum integration). Two months has passed in between, and now would be the perfect time to have Dash payments working in OB. You can already show someone the Dash soda machine working, if they need proof of Instant Send for physical goods in shops and restaurants. However as is the case with open source software, it depends on people having the time.

On the plus side: spelling out why I think Dash and OB go well together has convinced me even more that it is a worthwhile project, and we now have concrete evidence (rising tx backlog and fees) that Bitcoin is struggling as a payment mechanism. (That Bitcoin is struggling is not itself a good thing, but it shows that the governance improvements in Dash are an important addition to cryptocurrency.)

I really wish I'd been able to get more done on this sooner.

I first thought about OpenBazaar and Dash when someone asked on Reddit who is taking Dash. What I feared would happen (Bitcoin becoming unusable) appears to be happening, at least going by the post Rising tx fees for on-chain transactions in /r/OpenBazaar. I wrote a reply explaining why I think Dash would be good for OpenBazaar (prompted by another reply about Ethereum integration). Two months has passed in between, and now would be the perfect time to have Dash payments working in OB. You can already show someone the Dash soda machine working, if they need proof of Instant Send for physical goods in shops and restaurants. However as is the case with open source software, it depends on people having the time.

On the plus side: spelling out why I think Dash and OB go well together has convinced me even more that it is a worthwhile project, and we now have concrete evidence (rising tx backlog and fees) that Bitcoin is struggling as a payment mechanism. (That Bitcoin is struggling is not itself a good thing, but it shows that the governance improvements in Dash are an important addition to cryptocurrency.)

This guys gets it :p

Now imagine this potential along with Evolution! And why I was so adamant against a shapeshift solution that would open the doors to the entire crypto market-cap!

@AndyDark, how much would you like to see a Dash_OpenBazaar ? ;)

Ace! A cool thing here is forming!

Back