• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Truecrypt whats going on?

I had not read the news... that's beyond weird. No theories yet, just starting to read.
Anyway, this was a too important project as to die silently. Someone will pick it up or launch a new solution soon. In the meantime, it's time to back up my copy of Truecrypt :smile:

I'm wondering how that could be possible. How could such thing happen to "open source" software?

I'm wondering how that could be possible. How could such thing happen to "open source" software?
I guess that at a certain level of complexity being open source is not enough. There has to be someone willing to spend a huge amount of time and effort to audit the code throughly and maybe it had not happened yet. An article on The Economist offers two plausible explanations, big brother chasing them like with Lavabit or group implosion due to lack of incentives:
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-piece-software-disappears-mysteriously-tales

At this point the only sensible explanation to me is a warrant canary.
The problem with a warrant canary is that it could be interpreted by some judges as action to disclose that they have been subpoenaed. For what I read, it has not been used extensively enough as to know how it can work out.

The problem with a warrant canary is that it could be interpreted by some judges as action to disclose that they have been subpoenaed. For what I read, it has not been used extensively enough as to know how it can work out.

Depends on the implementation. Almost every law in every country on this planet is pretty good and waterproof in forbidding to do things, but (at least all I know of) don't have rules to force someone to NOT stop doing things.

As long as I post here at least one posting per month I did NOT get a National Security Letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the implementation. Almost every law in every country on this planet is pretty good and waterproof in forbidding to do things, but (at least all I know of) don't have rules to force someone to NOT stop doing things.

As long as I post here at least one posting per month I did NOT get a National Security Letter.
Yes, but it can get tricky in different jurisdictions. Maybe you could win it when appealing, but there can always be a judge that interprets inaction as action and get you in trouble. In certain circumstances not doing something can get you in trouble (not helping after a car crash). It is not the same because what it is usually punished is the failure to start do to do something, but big brother is really good at twisting things.

Also, they could force you to post something like "I'm going to stop giving notice of not having received a subpoena, so no interpretation must be made of me not posting again". That post would raise suspicion though.

No perfect solutions, I guess defence needs to be multilayered.

Something's really fishy there. And I don't say this a lot, because I'm generally quite anti-tinfoil.
Why would anyone involved in a project such as TrueCrypt encourage people to stop using it and instead use a proprietary encryption solution? :what:

Back