• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Logo discussion

We'll generate an official colour palette & style guide from the chosen logo. Then on to a sexy crowdsourced WordPress theme.
Is it possible for you to talk to the designer of the winning logo after it's chosen to try and get them to do multiple color colour palettes just so we can pick the sexiest one? Or is it a one off deal?

Is it possible for you to talk to the designer of the winning logo after it's chosen to try and get them to do multiple color colour palettes just so we can pick the sexiest one? Or is it a one off deal?
Not sure about contacting them after the contest, but I can contact them during the contest and request variations & new designs. I've done that for a few of them where I like the design but want to see some changes.

I'd like to run a logo concept past you guys. The idea with this one is to be instantly recognisable at a glance, to stand out from other coins' logos, and to be accessible to a person with fresh eyes who knows nothing about crypto. Honest feedback appreciated!

ULj39xW.png

9DcG3xq.png

rASqexV.png

oFOt2vP.png

U2i4th5.jpg

I definitely like the simple "d" better than the stenciled look, although I'm not sure if it is "the one". Is there some place we can look at some of the other submissions online, or do they all get sent straight to you?

I definitely like the simple "d" better than the stenciled look, although I'm not sure if it is "the one". Is there some place we can look at some of the other submissions online, or do they all get sent straight to you?
The submissions aren't listed publicly anywhere, they only show up in the account of the person who submits the competition. I think when the deadline is reached it goes public.

I agree I don't think the simple 'd' is the one. The shape to me is a bit off. I'm not sure what it needs though.

The red stamp one immediately makes me think of traveling or a passport stamp. No resemblance to Darkcoin or even crypto in general.

I'm going to bring this up again here, though it has been discussed many times before over at bitcointalk. I really feel like the logo for DRK should address its name. I find it very odd that many believe that the word "Dark" will not instantaneously connote a set of negative attributes to the general public. Darkness has been a symbol for evil for ages.... I'm not sure why the Dark of Darkcoin is supposed to be different just because the dev meant something different.

Dark is supposed to refer to the anonymity of the coin. Darkness can connote anonymity and confidentiality, but these are hierarchically lower on the semiotic chain. Still, I think the hierarchy can be upended though with a logo like the stenciled one LimLims submitted. (The stenciled look is not my favorite, however.)

I should add that the endless variations on the simple D seem fine for the logo on the picture of the coin itself. (Personally, I would REALLY like to see someone with graphic design experience try to put a D on a diaphanous coin rather than a black coin). The above post referred to a phrase/logo that would accompany the coin picture.

These are probably stupid, but just in terms of the conceptual direction, thoughts?

Attachments

• darkcoinlogo.GIF
    darkcoinlogo.GIF
    13.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DRKcoinlogo.GIF
    DRKcoinlogo.GIF
    20.2 KB · Views: 168
Oh gosh, I like the confidential one, but I don't know how well it would scale but I really love it! LOL

otherwise, I like a capital D and thicker lines. The one logo in the bunch posted that I like for simplicity is the i-coin

Dark is supposed to refer to the anonymity of the coin. Darkness can connote anonymity and confidentiality, but these are hierarchically lower on the semiotic chain. Still, I think the hierarchy can be upended though with a logo like the stenciled one LimLims submitted. (The stenciled look is not my favorite, however.)

Yes! That's exactly my thinking (the bolded part). That was the reasoning behind one of the concept logos I did a while back, which incorporated a keyhole to the "D" to direct one's interpretation to the intended theme of privacy/security. I haven't seen a perfect design that achieves this yet. But I'm starting to think that any design that clearly directs one's interpretation towards a positive message of privacy/anonymity is preferable to a super slick but thematically ambiguous design.

I think the faster we can redirect a user's interpretation away from those shady interpretations, the better, and the logo may be our only opportunity to reach the huge proportion of people who are exposed to our brand but lack the investment to dig deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back