• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Request: How to keep wallet offline and safe.

JMW

How do you keep a wallet offline? Lets say I purchase 1000 DASH and dont plan on trading it for awhile. How would you store them to ensure they don't go missing?

How do you keep a wallet offline? Lets say I purchase 1000 DASH and dont plan on trading it for awhile. How would you store them to ensure they don't go missing?
Dump your privkey and write it down or print it, keep it in a safe box or boxes. Also save your wallet.dat on multiple USB sticks and put them in a safe places.

Hi can u please walk me through a dash paper wallet withdrawal?
Here's the site that explains what you're looking for:
https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin#

Look under "How to spend the coins stored in a paper wallet ?"
"You will need to import your private key in a real client, that you can download from the currency website. The exact method to do that will depend on the client. If there is no integrated method, you can usually fall back to the debug console and use the command “importprivkey [yourprivatekey]“."

All you have to do is download and install Dash wallet from dashpay.io. Go to debug console and follow that instruction.

The money should be back in your real wallet on your computer for you to spend! Have fun. :)

Thanks ......but my wallet has a passphrase how would the script look like? with passphrase on it?
On your debug console, type: walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 99999 importprivkey <yourprivkey> (without those brackets < > ).

"99999" is just an arbitrary number for seconds to keep your wallet open so you can import your privkey.

On your debug console, type: walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 99999 importprivkey <yourprivkey> (without those brackets < > ).

"99999" is just an arbitrary number for seconds to keep your wallet open so you can import your privkey.
Slight correction - it's 2 separate commands:
walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 99999
importprivkey <yourprivkey> <label>
And you can also assign <label> which will be shown in "Receiving addresses" next to corresponding address.

Can I ask you a stupid question? The "99999" is that the time your wallet is going to be open?

Thank you the scripts work . Now my private key is not working. Invalid key it say code -5. Where can I look that up?

Thank you the scripts work . Now my private key is not working. Invalid key it say code -5. Where can I look that up?
Sorry I overlooked an error in my previous post.. But did you follow Udjin's instruction exactly?

Step 1: walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 99999
(To open your wallet)

Stepe 2: importprivkey <yourprivkey> <label>
(To import your privkey. I normally disregard the label but you can type a name in there for your address)

Not sure why it's not working but code -5 means the privkey is incorrect: "Invalid private key encoding (code -5)", so make sure you type it in the console correctly and try again?

Moli thanks for your patience with me brother I appreciate it. So step 1 worked for me. Step 2 gives me an invalid message. I got this paper wallet from a cryptocards website I copied and pasted both my public and private and sent it to them. I dunno if I messed up copying and pasting but who would mess that up? Anyway I was gonna ask you about that public key that is paired up with my privkey that keeps giving me invalid message. That public key is not linked to my dash qt wallet how do I link it. I think that's the issue

Moli thanks for your patience with me brother I appreciate it. So step 1 worked for me. Step 2 gives me an invalid message. I got this paper wallet from a cryptocards website I copied and pasted both my public and private and sent it to them. I dunno if I messed up copying and pasting but who would mess that up? Anyway I was gonna ask you about that public key that is paired up with my privkey that keeps giving me invalid message. That public key is not linked to my dash qt wallet how do I link it. I think that's the issue
That explains it pretty well - wallet do not accept bip38 encrypted private keys, you need to decrypt it first and then use importprivekey with the result.
To decrypt it you can use https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin# for example. Go to "Wallet Details" tab, enter your bip38 privkey, click view detials, enter bip38 password, grab "Private Key WIF Compressed (52 characters Base58)" and import it into wallet. (You can do this completely offline to be safe)

EDIT: try to grab this one instead - "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58"

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have said that in the first place huh LOL. Ok so after I import my privkey What script would I use to withdraw the funds to my wallet? Thanks bro that helped a lot

I should have said that in the first place huh LOL. Ok so after I import my privkey What script would I use to withdraw the funds to my wallet? Thanks bro that helped a lot
When you import your privkey you import the money that is in the pubkey of that privkey. The money should show up right away once you got the privkey imported.

Your money is on the blockchain and you private key is the key to unlock your money and move them on the blockchain (while your public key is the key to view your money on the blockchain but not to move them). It doesn't matter how many wallets you (or someone) have imported you private key to - all of them will have the same level of control of your money. That's why it is very important to keep it safe.

OK thanks guys. Would you recommend getting paper wallets on a website using BIP38?

how to build a secure paper wallet:
  1. goto https://walletgenerator.net/
  2. save page as -> to a usb key
  3. on a secure laptop with networking turned off (or even better, a linux live cd) generate and print your wallets.
  4. to protect from flood/monsoon/zombies, print two copies (ignore the webpage warnings) and place them in waterproof bags/different buildings
  5. send funds to newly created addresses
  6. have a beer
bip38 is great for protecting your paper wallets, just make sure you don't forget/lose the password.

OK thanks guys. Would you recommend getting paper wallets on a website using BIP38?
Did you manage to import your privkey from the paper wallet successfully? You got all your coins in the wallet, correct? Please do tell us. I can't wait to hear how that turned out for you! :smile:

Back